1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shite and Pointless posts.

Discussion in 'Helpdesk' started by HH, Jun 8, 2005.

Discuss Shite and Pointless posts. in the Helpdesk area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HH

Much has been said over the past 6 months about some people posting absolute drivvle in an attempt to incresae their post count. In fat some guilty offenders who shall remain nameless in their shame have been warned and banned for this pishy practice.

It is a factor of websites that this will occasinaly happen, but there is a way which I saw on anotehr bulletin board which can help name and shame the culprits or point out the threads with the meat and bones, not just a bare thread.

It runs along the lines that you get awarded points based on length of post (ie number of chracters typed) rather than just post count.

So say some writes 10 posts with one liners like so & so, well his point ration will look absolutely shocking.

But on the other hand, someone who writes comprehensive posts will have a more than honourable ratio.

Now at the same time, I understand and acknowledge that sometime one liners are relevant and necessary, but the difference between that and some stupid fool posting one liners (or even 2 words) to almost every post on the site is poles apart.

I would like this sytem implemented if possible. If it cant be, we will have to tolerate the fools in the meantime.

2. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

This would be a great thing to implement as I think this is what sets us away from other forums out there. The quality of posts on this board are of a lot higher quality that most other forums and implementing this would show just how many posters we have on here who take time out to write quality posts.

I'll look into this a bit further and see what I can do. If you wouldn't mind HH mate, could you PM me the link to this forum?

3. HH

Yeah , no problemos. I will have to hunt for it as I saw it whils browsing, but I will get back 2u.

4. bhoywunda Banned!

Its acceptable when its pretty much of a live discussion with a large group, but yeah, people do write things that are short, dont explain themselves and that leaves you having to reply with something like "why?" or "what was that?" Whats the big deal with the points? Were here to talk celtic and have a bit of craic, dont understand why its a big issue - im not dissin the gold membership admin or anything, it just seems a bit petty writing * to increase post-numbers.

5. HH

The point is mate as follows......

Imagine some writes something (infact imagine many people writing many posts)

and you get someone who replies (pointlessly) to almost all the posts with a * bewilderring.....

"yeah"

or

"lol"

or

"cool"

or just a * smilie.....

You have been with us a month mate, wait till you have to bear it for 3 or 4 and you will see what we mean.

6. Mark

Moved to Annoucements, Feedback and Questions forum.

7. BB Banned!

In order that this post itself isnt considered a pointless post i have to post this post in this manner.
    In other words..

Im *!!!

8. Darlo Hoop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Zurawski, Maloney, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team, YNWA
    cool...

:86:

9. lupin43

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik and Neil and Jackie and LUBO
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A soldiers song and Viva Espania

mate i would do ur best not to * ne one off

10. Darlo Hoop

Fav Celtic Player:
    Zurawski, Maloney, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team, YNWA
    Lupin get over it mate! Some peoples lack of humour on this site is disapointing

11. glasgowsellick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton, Stan Petrov, Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    yeah

I thought thats what the quick reply box was for --- a quick reply! why does it bother you anyway its hardly as if it will kill you to scroll down an extra box. and so what if people have a high post number! just remember, who gives a *!

12. Mick

It is for a quick reply mate, a quick reply that is semi-legible and understandable to the other members of this forum.

13. HH

Exactly, if I wanted to, or had the time to. scroll through a thousand * posts on a thread to catch the drift on it, I woudnt.

Some of us like to raed a thread with a more or less consistent point to it.

14. irvy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,cauldwell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    exactly (whoops 1 word *!)

15. bhoycfc

Fav Celtic Song:
    the fields of athenry
    hail hail i have to agree with you on this one.
    some of the replies take ages to scroll through.
    im no computer buff but is there not a way that you can have an addition at the bottom of each post where you can click on to read quick replys if you want to.
    or ,how difficult would it be to have a certain linage that must be written before a post can be submitted.
    hail hail

16. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

I could easily up the minimum amount of letters or words that are required in a post, but what would that be?

17. HH

No point in that CM.

I thought after seeing the link I sent you, It might be an idea if implementable. Other than that, I would leave it to the Gestapo to sort out any * about like you have done in the past.

In case anyone is wondering why even discuss this sort of thing, it is quite simple.

A good idea that makes the site run easier and more efficiently for the admin and the members is always welcomed imho.

It is certainly not any sort of '1984' tactical ploy.

18. jaradthescot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beattie again. Give the wee bhoy a run, WGS
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jinky
    I think you should just get rid of the post count period. As people have said previously, it doesn't really mean anything and since it seems to cause this much bother, why should we even have it around. Just my 2p

19. I know everone think of me of the Post Pointlessly King, which is another matter.

I don't think you should get rid of the post count, because it shows their loyalty to TalkCeltic. If you do decide to get rid of it, I think you should keep the User Status' up, so you know whether they are a dedicated member etc.

20. BB Banned!

Pay a fiver and become A GM...then everyone will know you are dedicated...