1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Anyone thinking that Shane is getting it tight because he is Irish is off their rocker....jeez Louise.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Time is a luxury we simply don’t have. He is not a young guy coming through, he’s not even here beyond another 6/7 months, and we’re already playing catch up domestically with a defence that have been struggling.

He simply needed to arrive here ready, rather than arriving here and needing time to get ready. Right now, there’s a number of players in the squad who are simply a few levels above him in his position. With guys like Welsh, who may well already be a better player, it at least makes sense to persist and develop him, given he’s likely to be here for the next few years at least.

Peej likes this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think there’s any Celtic fans who wouldn’t want us to have more Irish lads in the side tbh, given the calibre of player they’ve produced over the past 20 years or so if nothing else. Less so in recent years, but we’ve obviously missed out on some great talents.

Everyone was happy to see Duffy arrive, but the truth is he’s been very poor since he turned up. I would actually argue that the people saying we should persist with him at the expense of centre backs who are clearly better and more suited to our own playing style are the ones showing a bit of bias.

Peej likes this.
  4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I haven't read what was said about Duffy so can't comment on that however I believe there is a small minority of Celtic fans who resent the clubs link with Ireland. There tends to be a few back handed digs at players alluding to the fact they are looked on more favourably because they are Irish.

As for the player no thanks

Gully Sands likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I get what you mean, and why you say that, but I've always held the though/opinion that those sort of people are not anti Irish, or resent the link, but simply have a stronger feeling that the club is predominantly Scottish above anything else.
    I say that as someone who actually feels that way and have found myself in the debates of "is Celtic and Irish to Scottish club" to me, it's Scottish with a nod/historical link to Ireland.

Maybe my own naivety to think everyone is of a similar mind set on this side of the question.

But aye, that's another thread.

It's not too far up to see the comment from Sydney, claiming folk are only slating Duffy because he is Irish. Which is just ridiculous in so many ways.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is a possibility and I have seen comments like that at times over the years.....resentment was definitely aimed at Aidan McGeady for choosing Ireland over Scotland.

For me, unless Duffy can work effectively within our defence and style of play then It's a no thanks for me too.

Gabriel likes this.
  7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Celtic fans don't give a toss where our players come form. We are a club open to all and always have been. Yes, we have strong links to Ireland but that is down to our heritage. The only reason Shane Duffy is getting criticised is because he hasn't lived up to the expectations we all had of him i.e. a player playing in the so called "best league in the world".

Dan Breen, alex_bhoy and Marie like this.
  8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I haven't read the post and don't bother much with this thread. Duffy is clearly not good enough however I get no joy reading players get abused because they are not good enough. Making jokes about how bad a player is should be reserved for the huns in my opinion. The general consensus is he has not the right talents/is a * defender and therefore it is not his fault.

I think we are virtually all singing from the same hymn sheet bar a few deluded Irish fans who for the sake of Celtic hopefully are the ones who are right

Liam Scales and Peej like this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I didn’t think that. It used to fry my brain * saying it.

10. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

He’s not been good enough and has deservedly been dropped for now. He’s not been as bad as some have made out though, every little thing he does gets highlighted now and things other players do that get overlooked.

He has a lot to do to win back the fans confidence in him, still think he’ll play a part this season, mostly as cover when injury’* no doubt again.

11. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    For the wages we are reportedly paying for him, we could pump him back down to Brighton and pick 2 better CBs up.

I think he's too far gone to win the confidence back, anytime the ball goes near him I cringe.

Might be a case for best of both parties to terminate the loan and part on good terms. He's lived all of our dreams, sadly he's like most other fans, not good enough to play for Celtic.

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Thats all fair. I was one of those excited about his arrival. Not just because he was Irish and a genuine Celtic fan but also because as bad as Ireland are and have been in recent years he has been excellent and one of the few bright spots for us. So I genuinely thought he would be great for us and a real dominant force. Sadly that has not been the case and there is no question right now if both are fit Ajer and Jullien are first choice centre backs for us. I still hold out hope he can turn it around but it has not been good so far.

King of Kings likes this.
  13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He was howling against killie and Dundee United and ferencvaros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think the excitement over his arrival was over the top, but overall he was a signing that should’ve been received positively. He obviously isn’t used to playing for an expansive side that dominates possession, but we needed defensive reinforcements, and in theory a powerhouse player like Duffy could’ve worked out well.

Not entirety sure why it hasn’t, but there’s definitely an expensive lesson in there for the club. Sign players who for the system rather than try and fit in players who don’t. I’m sure there’s some exceptions to that, but going from a limited/physical centre half to a ball playing one expected to start the attacks is probably one of the most difficult transitions.

15. R u n e

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm confident the international break will do his some good. Still think some people will be eating humble pie

16. celtic warrior

Bollocks, * du wei had a better start to his celtic career then this * imposter.

Lennon1888 and Bazza Bhoy like this.
  17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    To be fair I was very excited by his signing not as I said just because he is Irish and a genuine Celtic fan. But as I mentioned I have watched him playing for Ireland for a few years now and he has been one of our few bright lights. His dominant physical presence for a dreadful Ireland team has been terrific for a few years and so I thought he would fit in well in a back 3 with Jullien and Ajer. But obviously whether its a back 3 or 4 it has not worked out so far no question about that.

Not sure I buy the whole well he is used to playing for teams in backs to the wall situations and Celtic is the opposite. Sure his passing out of the back has been poor but it is his poor defending that has been the issue IMHO. If he had of been a dominant physical presence dealing with everything defensively we would not be so worried about his lack of ability to play out of the back. As long as he was running the show defensively it would be ok and it would simply be a case of when on the ball telling him to keep it simple and give it to Ajer, Brown etc and let them make the game while he sticks to being our defensive anchor. But it has not worked so far because defensively he has been poor. Why that is I have no idea because I have never seen him play as poorly defensively for Ireland.

He seems like a strong character and an honest one. So hopefully he can turn things around for us when he returns from this international window.

King of Kings likes this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sure hope so.

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ya nailed it. Unable to do basic defending.

20. DonnyCelt

I cannot understand how someone who was classed as a colossal and solid defender in a team who defends more than attacks in the EPL, has come into a team who does more attacking than defending, cannot do the basics right when called upon.

Astonishing

trackebhoy likes this.