1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]
    SD: It feels great to finally be here. It’s been a really busy week for me, getting it done and not being here was difficult, but I’m just buzzing now to get going and I can’t wait

SD on fan reaction: "I had no idea that it’d be as big as it’s been so far. That’s incredible and I just can’t wait to get down to business now and do it on the pitch for them."

SD: "To pull the jersey on is a really special moment for me. As a fan, you always think about whether or not you’ll have the chance to play for Celtic, and now it’s here for me. I’m delighted and the words can’t really explain how I feel."

SD: "You could say there’s more pressure on me given I’m a fan, but I’m a believer in my own ability and where I am in my career. I’m at a good age, I’m coming into my prime and, hopefully, Celtic fans will get to see me in my peak."

SD: "I’m a solid defender who simply wants to keep the ball out of my net, and do anything to win at all costs. That’s a mentality I grew up with and I’ll never change."

SD: "I’ll give everything for the club, for my team-mates and for me, and that’s always been my attitude towards football and life. If I can bring that to the team, then hopefully that can be good for everyone."

SD: "I’m delighted to have the chance to work with Neil Lennon, and I grew up watching him as a player and then a manager as a Celtic fan. To get the opportunity to work with him and play under him now is a special moment for me."

SD: "I lost my dad recently who was a proud Irish man. He always dreamed about me playing for Celtic. My dad will be in the back of mind when I go out onto the pitch."

SD: "But I’m a professional, I need to go out and do my job and I’m sure that will make my mum, my family and fans proud of me. My first thoughts are to go out and do it for the club, the manager and my team-mates. That’s the important thing for me."

paulie67, The_Bhoy, Rydo1888* and 6 others like this.
  2. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Buzzing for the big man to turn out in the hoops. Another much needed leader in the starting 11 :34:

Gully Sands, The_Bhoy, Crilly and 2 others like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SHANE Duffy spent his first full day in Glasgow at Paradise today (Tuesday) and said while delighted with the reception he’s received from Hoops fans so far, he knows he must now prove himself on the pitch.

Following last weekend’s international fixtures, Ireland captain Duffy will spend this week training with his new team-mates at Lennoxtown, and will be available for selection in Neil Lennon’s matchday squad against Ross County this Saturday.

Should the 28-year-old centre-back get the nod, he’s ready to hit the ground running as required.

“You could say there’s more pressure on me given I’m also a fan, but I’m a believer in my own ability and where I am in my career,” said Duffy in an exclusive interview with Celtic TV. “I’m at a good age, I’m coming into my prime and, hopefully, Celtic fans will get to see me in my peak. I’m at a good stage now, I need some games to get up and running, but I’m just excited.

“I just need to be me and for the team and the manager. I’m a solid defender who simply wants to keep the ball out of my net, and do anything to win at all costs. That’s a mentality I grew up with and I’ll never change.

“I’ll give everything for the club, for my team-mates and for me, and that’s always been my attitude towards football and life. If I can bring that to the team, then hopefully that can be good for everyone.”

Duffy underscored how pleased he is with his latest move, and said while part of him expected to be well received by Celtic fans worldwide – given his Irish roots and well-publicised love for the club – he’s been overwhelmed by the support nevertheless.

He added: “It feels great to finally be here. It’s been a really busy week for me, getting it done and not being here was difficult, I had a lot of things on my mind, but I landed in Glasgow last night and I’m just buzzing now to get going.

“It’s been crazy so far. Obviously with social media these days, you get to see quite a bit of it, and it was quite overwhelming.

“I know what the fans are and what they mean, and while I gathered how they’d feel about an Irish man, coming from where I’m from in Derry, I had no idea that it’d be as big as it’s been so far. That’s incredible and I just can’t wait to get down to business now and do it on the pitch for them.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Great presser, cheers fer sharing that. :50:

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
  7. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Had to look that up @Scotia I like it :50:

Scotia likes this.
  8. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Big beautiful *

Gully Sands and bagforlife like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Kelt85 and Tommy25 like this.
  10. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Almost got emotional myself when he was talking about his da.

11. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It will be an emotional time the first time he walks onto the pitch at paradise knowing his da will be looking down from the stars . The only thing missing will be 60,000 urging him on .

ThatBhoyLarsson, Tommy25 and The_Bhoy like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I hadn't realised his passing was that bad...

14. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SHANE DUFFY wants to be a smash hit at Celtic — just like his hero Bobo Balde.

The 6ft 4in defender has joined Neil Lennon's side on a season-long loan from Brighton.

Duffy, 28, has been signed to shore up the Hoops defence as they go for the historic ten in a row.

The Republic of Ireland skipper said: “I loved big Bobo when he played for Celtic. That’s my first fond memory of properly supporting Celtic.

I had Bobo Balde on the back of my top. Balde six, I think it was, the yellow top. Everyone loved big Bobo, didn’t they?

“I just went along with it. You don’t really study football when you’re that age, do you?

Everyone else was Henrik Larsson, but I was big Bobo.

“I was always dead tall and skinny, but I filled out a bit more when I went over to England.

“I was always good at heading the football. I’d throw myself at anything. It was a bit stupid. Big Bobo could head it, too.”

Duffy worked with former Celtic star Alan Stubbs when he was at Everton and was handed his international debut by former Hoops gaffer Martin O’Neill

The defender also played for Paul Lambert at Blackburn Rovers.

Duffy added: “I was lucky to be managed by Stubbs. I used to do his head in asking questions every day.

“I had the pleasure of making my debut for Ireland under Martin.

“They are icons at this place, but there will be a lot of work to do to put myself in that category.

Listen, I haven’t even played a minute yet for the club, so I just have to concentrate on myself and take it one game at a time.

“Hopefully, at the end of the season, it will be all worth it and we’ll have those trophies.

“I feel I’ve got this mentality of never giving up. I want to be a winner.

“I know they have a lot of winning mentality here, so I have to bounce off that as well.

“But I’ll never give up. I’m a defender who wants to keep the ball out of my net, first and foremost and then build from there.

“I’m probably not the prettiest on my eye, but I’ve got a lot more to my game than that.”

Duffy could play in a back three alongside Kris Ajer and Christopher Jullien.

He added: “I’m very impressed with them all here. I have always thought that they are very, very good players.

If I can learn from them it will be great for my career and if they can learn a little bit from me, great.

“It’s going to be tough. They are two very good centre-halves. They are highly regarded. I’ve watched them because I watch Celtic games.

“They are two great centre-halves who have a great relationship with each other.

“It’s going to be difficult, but I’m ready to fight for the team and do whatever is best for the team.

Shane Duffy finally checked in as a Celtic player – and targeted a place in the Parkhead history books as the perfect honour to his Hoops-daft dad.

The Irishman arrived in the east end of Glasgow on a wave of emotion just four months after losing his father Brian suddenly at the age of 
just 53.

Duffy admitted his old man always dreamed of him pulling on the Hoops.

Now he is set to do just that. And the big defender wasted no time in setting out his stall at his boyhood heroes as he looks to play a central role in Celtic’s push for 10 in a row.

Duffy – who skippered Ireland in their Nations League double-header with Bulgaria and Finland in the last five days – has signed a season-long loan switch from Brighton.

And the 28-year-old revealed he will be fired up at the prospect of fulfilling his dad’s dying wish.

Duffy said: “Dad passed away three months ago. I was emotional when the deal got done because he was everything to me with my football. It was me and him. It was emotional last week. It was the first Ireland match he missed.

“And he won’t be at my first Celtic match.

“So I’ll be emotional when I finally get to play. I will just do it for him.”

Duffy admitted he had offers from Premier League clubs down south.

But his heart was set on making the move to the team he grew up adoring after first making the long trip across the Irish Sea for a match with his dad at the age of just eight.

Asked if 10 in a row was a factor in his switch he said: “It was massive. I would have come any year but this year could be a historic year.

“To have a chance to be a part of it was huge. I spoke to a few players who played here. They were saying if you go and do it, it will be the best decision you make.

“Dad would have had a big say in what I would have done. He loved Celtic as well so as soon as it came up, it was a no-brainer.

“That was in my thoughts and it was hard for my mum because she was wondering if it was going to happen or if it wasn’t.

“Eventually I got the call that it was done, so she was a bit emotional.”

Duffy – who could be handed a debut at Ross County this weekend – insists he is living the dream as he pulled on a Hoops top as a player for the first time.

He said: “You doubt that it could happen, so to actually get here and get the kit on is a special moment.

“My ma went through a few quid on tops when I was a kid. I had them all up until I was about 12 or 13, then moved over to England when I was 14.

“In Ireland you get the boat over and we came to the match. I’ve got very fond memories.

“I just remember it being so loud.”

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Anton rogan

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL on
    @shaneduffy
    : "Shane will go straight into the squad. It's a great bit of business by the club and great for the supporters. We’ve got a quality player that understands the ethos of the club and it's important to have players like that in the dressing room."

Tommy25 and Jeannie960 like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

20. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome big man.
    You've been wanted here for an absolute age and i'm over the moon it's finally happened.

hail, hail.
    tiocfaidh ar la.

Tommy25 likes this.