1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shame on the Green Brigade...

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Domo1888, Oct 29, 2009.

Discuss Shame on the Green Brigade... in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patto

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    * HAVE I DONE TO YOU, *.

2. Captain Howdy

:50:

3. patto

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kris Commons
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I closed this thread after reading gunts post, well said. bye.

4. Captain Howdy

Good post mate.

5. kennydal

I told you in another earlier to watch how you talk to other on here ,debate the thread ,no CAPS required and your tone is ott ,wrap it in.

6. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    soldier song feilds of athenry hail hail
    The GB and the jungle bhoys were class today so they were . They made a real noise .

THE JB never stop singing throught the whole game they are a credit to the club and theres none of the contriversial stuff you get with the GB .

7. Vade

Chateau Au LAit (Or Castlemilk to the uncultured)
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain (So I'm old)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    The whole poppy ordeal is one of personal preferance. For many years I wore mine with pride and observed remberance day rituals. I neither judge a man for wearing one or for not. It wasn't until I had served time in the forces that my attitude was changed, as I attended a service mainly to remember my fallen comrades and friends lost during conflict. So as I stood there, 'Flaming Grenade' shiney like a beacon on my beret , a fine 'British' (I say British as I am unaware of actual birth place, however his parentage was made well clear :47:) serviceman pointed out to me that I had no right attending such a service as it is clearly to remember 'British servicemen'. I took this debate up, pointing out that both myself and my fallen comrades were 'British'. He asked how could they be with that on your head. It was then that I realised that it is an institution and because I was in the 'French Foreign Legion', I and indeed my mates were not DEEMED worthy enough of rememberance, their lives we lost and of so little consequence by the same people they had stood alongside for many years prior to joing the Legion. It is purely for this reason I refuse to acknowledge the wearing of a poppy. I believe it should be a day of remeberance for ALL who have given their lives. irrespective of race, creed or colour. Soldiers are made to follow orders, maybe the orders are given by fools, but you fight at that time for your brothers in arms and not the political views and opinions of a nation.

This in itself has brought up many incidents since moving north of the border, asked by my neighbour why I dont wear a poppy (Yep he's a Hun) I reply 'when you have one on your chest ask me again!!'. "Its because your a Tim, dont worry" he continued.
    'I support a football team, not a political view, religious sect or a sexual preferance, a football team mate, jog on' came the firm reply. My Mrs wears a poppy as is her right. My feelings are not imposed upon her, she understands and respects my view and accepts that the views of the majority of British servicemen are wrong. But she is remembering those who died, not those that have an opinion now. Which is also a valid statement.
    At the end of the day, we still have 50-50, ask the audience and phone a friend, lol. But if people cant fully agree with what the poppy stands for, how can they support it or not support it.

I'll just have my own rememberance in my own way and include everyone, as I believe this is the Celtic way. thank you :52:

8. DanMac

The GB walked out in the first half, dont know why but.Great fans they are:bbpd:

9. hoops daft

Fav Celtic Player:
    one artur boruc MCGEADY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    soldier song feilds of athenry hail hail

anyone know why they walked out (again) ?

10. Raz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hooper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough!
    * happened with them today? :97:

11. Quiet Assassin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Paul McStay, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Can you honestly NOT see the difference here?

The first and second world wars were nothing to do with British imperialism. They were about defending the nation and her allies against aggression and imperialism from others.

If you have difficulty separating the bravery of soldiers from the decisions of politicians, you have serious issues to overcome.

12. Captain Howdy

World War 1 was down to nothing but imperial rivarly, IMO, but yet again the working class were the cannonfodder. World War 2 was a different matter, totally necessary. That's my opinion.

13. toperomekoms

Fav Celtic Player:
    current Artur Boruc alltime stephane mahe
    Fav Celtic Song:
    forever and ever
    well said mate a herd the poppy song for the 1st time today sat killie and i thought of the poppy on the shirts last season which i hated all though i didn't join in your closing lines are spot on

14. toperomekoms

Fav Celtic Player:
    current Artur Boruc alltime stephane mahe
    Fav Celtic Song:
    forever and ever
    the mass exodus in 111 today was because of facist cops trying to get bhoys in the GB to sit down a think 2 of them got nicked then they all got up and left cos of it. killed the atmosphere in the ground and totally ruined for me wot should have been a great day after winning 3-0 n all. I think that walking out was a wee bit selfdefeatest because the stewards, police and club couldn't have imagend that in their wildest dreams. however its time the 3 mentioned above backed off a wee bit and let the fans enjoy the game "supporting your team is not a crime"

really want to make a complaint to the club about this where do i start?

15. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

If the poppy is just about remembering those of the 2 world wars.....why has it been hijacked ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2009
  16. roisin1888

?

why do you no sit somewhere else then ?

17. redcelt

as a celtic fan from belfast,i have witnessed at first hand the actions of brittish army thugs on our streets.
    gunt,you go on about % this and that but unless you have something to back it up then thats just your opinion.
    as far as soldiers just following orders and not being at fault,what about for example the 14 yer old girl shot dead shot dead on her way home from the shop with a pint of milk?
    the 19 year old shot dead in the back in the new lodge on his way home with a bap?
    14 shot dead in derry at a civil rights march,all civilian.
    the brittish army beat and murderd people in the north and got away with it.most were innocent people,the area they lived in was a good enough excuse for them thugs.
    unless you lived here and whitnessed at first hand then you know nothing about what went on here.i did and have the scars to prove it,mentally and physically.
    there are thousands of celtic fans in ireland with the same viewpoint of me.the aicsc expressed their dissapointment with celtic last year over the wearing of poppies on the hoops.
    i feel it is a real slap in the face for the thousands who make that ball busting trip to parkhead from ireland.
    john reid comes of with this leave your politics at the gate stuff,yet it seems its ok when it suits him and his agenda.
    i think celtic should never put the poppy on the shirts again and have a bit of respect for the irish fans.
    if individuals among the celtic support want to wear one to celtic park then thats fair enough its their own right to make that choice.
    would it not just be a good idea for celtic to show some balls and say that they wont be wearing poppies on the hoops out of respect for their large irish support but would hold a minutes applause/silance(sp) to remember ALL of the dead of ALL wars.
    i am pretty sure man utd never wore a poppy on their shirt last year out of respect for their large irish support.
    by the way i am not some sort of keyboard rebel,i do belive in a united ireland,but by peaceful means and i think celtic songs should be sung at celtic games not politcal songs.

18. Captain Howdy

Good post.

19. jhimbhoab

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    Fav Celtic Song:
    have u seen a handsome hun
    can anyone confirm if when the two world wars started were there not players from celtic who left celtic football club to go and fight in those wars.
    the name james stokes comes to mind....famous soldier who won medals for bravery and had some celtic connection.
    anyone any info.
    on remembrance day....i'll bow my head and remember those celtic players who left celtic park to fight for their country. and i dont need a badge or sticker to do that.

20. The Joker

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    That's true, 7 former players died during WWI, I'm not sure about WWII though. I will also be remembering those who died in the wars but I won't be wearing a poppy :50:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.