1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish & Irish girl arrested in Peru for cocaine smuggling.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by CapArm, Aug 13, 2013.

Discuss Scottish & Irish girl arrested in Peru for cocaine smuggling. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I dont know they wouldnt let me have a look.

2. The67Sound

Are all laws equal? Are all laws equally moral? Are laws and morals the same thing?

It is illegal to sell cocaine. Selling weapons is a huge legal industry carried out at the highest levels of government.

Seems to me you can sympathise with people arrested under stupid and arbitrary laws without automatically supporting mugging and murdering, no?

There's also the element of human sympathy because they are in a wretched situation, their futures will not be what they might have been, and their families will be suffering enormously.

3. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    What, you honestly think that street drugs are the same purity as they are when they leave their country of origin? :smiley-laughing002:

I wish.

Soap power? No that would be stupid and ridiculous. Glucose and Manitol are often used as cutting agents. Manitol gets used to add to drugs to make pills in pharmaceutical factories but plenty of it gets used in street level drugs.

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Assuming they are guilty.
    They have not shown any Morals by smuggling drugs. The Law is different in all countries , however who is not aware that the penalties are severe ?
    I do not think that they are "stupid laws" Human Sympathy ? Did they show that in attempting to smuggle drugs ? No they never, so I have no sympathy for them at all. I feel sorrow for the parents but then again these (if guilty) had no thought's to how the parents etc would feel so why should I, really ?

5. Armagh-Bhoy

3 years would be sufficent, weather that in is Peru or the UK dosent really matter to me.

They changed their story already, they first said they didnt know their was drugs in their bags, and now they are claiming they where forced at gun-point from Ibiza, so they did know.
    First sign of guility people, changing their story.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Or people that are scared they'll get shot in the head if they grass

7. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    They could have alerted the staff at the airport r on the plane of what was going on....they would have been protected and flown back home.

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Personally the sentence should be whatever is normal in the country who has jurisdiction.
    Also I don't see why they should get to serve time in Irish or Uk prison's, at the tax payers expense either.

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

From what has been released to the media along with the fact they were in Peru would lead me to suspect they are guilty. However I am always skeptical on information released by people in authority. I also wonder why the need to release to the media videos of the suspects. I have not watched these videos but have been told they do not reflect well on these girls.

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    So you do not have your own opinion on crime and punishment. Do you also blindly agree that a murderer in Texas deserves the death penalty while in Maine he does not.

11. Armagh-Bhoy

Did they look like people who where fearful of their families lifes in the video? Far from it.

Of course be skeptical, but not much adds up that these girls where either unwittinly in Peru and didnt know what they where at or forced to do it.

12. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing

He may well have his own view, but like all of us, his view counts for * on this matter as we dont make the decisions. A law and penalty was in place before those girls commited the crime and it has not since changed so the crime should be punished as the law of the country states it should be. That way the girls are getting what was to be expected if they where caught in lin ewith how they Country they broke the law in feels it should be punished.

Amending curret laws/penaltys is another debate altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Pardon me ? I fail to see the "leap" you have assumed with the above statement.
    Depending on the circumstances of a "murder" then the death penalty may well be deserved, however being "blind" on the details of the murder, I can only say, may deserve the death penalty.
    Obviously as a tax payer you would be happy to have them in a Irish or Uk prison then ?

14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt

As an Irish tax payer I would prefer them in a British prison.

As a citizen of Ireland in no position of power I have no say in these girls punishment. I was just giving my opinion on a punishment to fit their crimes. The reason I decided to give my opinion and ask others theirs was to quantify peoples feelings of sympathy. I can not express sympathy or justification until I know what punishment these girls receive.

The leap I made for the death penalty issue was that you seemed unable to give your opinion on a punishment that you felt was justified. Rather you posted " Personally the sentence should be whatever is normal in the country who has jurisdiction". So I took this and applied it to differing punishments for the same crime in the USA.

15. kevsta34

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry robson

What's that ment to mean? That is Mellissa Reid

16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    :smiley-laughing002: Aye , well as a Uk tax payer I would prefer them in some one elses prison and as they (appear) to have been caught in Peru that will do for me :50: In my opinion, I did give my opinion, on what was justified :smiley-laughing002: Just like if they got caught doing it in Sweden or Spain or the Uk etc

17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Does this include Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore etc.

18. Armagh-Bhoy

If they are convicted, rightfully they should serve their sentances in their own country or at least a English speaking country.

19. TimFloyd Gold Member

Soooooo was giving this some thought today and I think it comes down to 2 scenarios.

1. These mad * are savages and thought they would be gangsta as * and try and smuggle over a 1million pounds worth of gear and got caught.

2. They were coerced into having a trip to Peru then were told to take the gear or your families will die.

Now regarding number 2, a likely story would be that some rich guy befriended them and offered them an all expenses trip to Peru and all the coke you can sniff. I mean some young women are easily lead by an older guy flashing the cash.

So I think they maybe have went to Peru willingly with no idea about bringing back coke then when they were in Peru that's when they got the ultimatum.

Both scenarios seem plausible but number 2 happens all too often imo in regards to unwilling drug mules.

However they do deserved to get punished as there is always away out (may not seem like it at the time) but 25 years is * ridiculous, they did not kill anyone or cause anyone severe harm.

And if anyone really thinks they should do the 25 years in prison I sincerely hope one of your family members ends up in a similar situation.

20. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    An all expenses paid two day trip to Peru! I'm sold :rolleyes:

They're guilty as *.
    First they didn't know what was in the bags and now they knew all along and were forced at gunpoint. aye right.
    Too many twists they've * up their story from the start.

Idiots