1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott McDonald signs on for 5 more years at Celtic

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by The Doctor, Jun 17, 2008.

By The Doctor on Jun 17, 2008 at 7:22 PM
  1. The Doctor

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley, Four Leaf Clover
    Scott McDonald today committed his future to Celtic by putting pen to paper on an improved 5 year contract.

The club started negotiating with the 24 year old Australian international at the end of a sensational first season during which he became the top scorer in the SPL with 25 goals, and a total of 31 in all competitions. His goals were a huge part in Celtic's sensational comeback to capture their 3rd title in a row.

He also became the first Celtic striker since the departure of Henrik Larsson to hit 30 or more in a season.

“It was a very successful season for myself personally, and for the club to finish the way it did was fantastic.

I am really looking forward to getting back and just coming to the ground today, after three weeks away, has really got me champing at the bit again.

I do need a bit of rest though. I am just back from international duty, so now I’ll get a few weeks away, refresh the body and the mind and then come back as hungry as ever.”

He also welcomed the news of reports that the club are targeting several big name signings to bolster the squad.

"There are no guarantees that I’ll be starting every week and you don’t get a free ride at Celtic Football Club, that’s for sure. You have to work hard for every inch. I’ll be doing that next season and hopefully I can be as successful as I was last year."

The Celtic fans will be hoping for more of the same from him as well.

His superb scoring rate, including a vital last minute winner against then Champions Leagues holders AC Milan, had put him on the radar of English clubs with reports that Newcastle United were considering a serious offer for his services.

Celtic Chief Executive today said "This is great news for Celtic."

"It is well known that Scott loves playing for Celtic and he has a great affection for the club. He is also someone who performed brilliantly last season.

"Our priority is always to keep our best and most committed players and the board is delighted to support [manager] Gordon [Strachan] in his plans for the future by securing Scott on this long-term agreement.

"We will continue to do all we can to ensure that Celtic stays at the top of Scottish football."

If McDonald continues his excellent goals to game ratio then he may still attract offers from England or the Continent. However the new five year deal puts Celtic in a strong bargaining position should other clubs decide to make a move for the little Australian.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008