1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail

Agree with this.

I remember the uproar from some parents with regards to not keeping a score at Four a sides. Talk of taking away the winning mentality and the importance of winning. The game is still competitive, a young kid will still be able to tell you how many goals they scored. But at that age, skill acquisition and development is and should be the biggest driver for coaches and parents.

I had a discussion a few years ago with a friend of mine. His son was in transition from playing 7's to 11 a side. He was playing at Pro Club and moving to another. The club he was leaving wanted to keep him. The argument for retaining him by the club he was leaving, was that they beat the other team all the time. In response, the individual was told it was a decision on the basis of best place for his son to be and develop, not about the scoreline or otherwise.

Listened to the guy from AZ Alkmaar the other week. He talked about no tactical or formation input until 16 year old. Focus on skill and technique, understanding the process of making decisions and other stuff about cerebral development.

https://trainingground.guru/articles/marijn-beuker-thinking-differently-with-az-alkmaar

Back to Brown and coaching. I have no issue with players being used in the coaching of youth players. Ajax for example have a number of the clubs former players involved in the scouting and coaching. The difference with Ajax is that they have a process in place and rarely, if at all deviate from it. And these former players have been through it and understand it.

For us its a bit different. Brown has been in and around the youth set-up for the last few years. Doesn't make him a shoe-in for a role, what should, is his ability to coach and develop players.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

Always find the talk of tactics and development interesting, I can mind hearing Pep talk about Italian football and they grow learning the game and tactics from a very early age. It’s ingrained in them.

You can tell that by the way they play football as well.

On that note, can mind watching a documentary about La Masia and they don’t do any training without a ball at their feet. If they’re running laps, they’re running laps with the ball. They incorporate playing with the football in the fitness training.

I love that, something so simple I don’t know why everybody doesn’t do it.

3. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I still see coaches taking youth teams for a 5-mile jog as part of the training. Fortunately, I think it's a minority. Although the new trend seems to be making fancy assault courses with as many hurdles, poles, cones and markers as you can.

I wasn't really aware of tactics until into my teens, in terms of formations etc. I played mainly in massive 20 a side games and Cuppie Doubles and Singles with those that lived nearby. I would always pay attention to wee small things like what foot the person kicked with and certain wee habits or moves that they done, which is tactical.

The key thing about coaching is being able to communicate your ideas and being able to guide the individuals. Can have the best ideas in the world, but if you can't communicate it or develop an understanding of them, then that's a problem.

Should add to my previous post about Brown.

I don't know how good his coaching ability(good enough to get him a UEFA Licence though) or how involved in coaching he is already. I've seen him at a few youth games at Lennoxtown,but he was mainly just speaking to individuals and the guy O'Halloran was giving most of the input. I would be surprised if he was given a senior coaching role at Celtic or takes one elsewhere next season.

Liam Scales likes this.
  4. jambo_cfc

ppl thought duffy would bring leadership !! Brown is a tried and tested leader !! Doesnt need to be on the park but his influence would be better than most we have !!
    this season was a * show from start to finish !! Lennon * this season not brown ! Brown knew himself he shouldnt start wvery game and he said as much! I would have had no issue with kennedy getting to * and brown taking us till the end of the season !

5. davidhannah

Scott Brown would be good to keep at Celtic. Goes without saying. I can see Lawell giving him a contract extension before he leaves. Can we afford to pay him £40K a week though he is our highest earner. I think they should be looking to cut his wage though - Sorry Scott you lucky *.

I'm unsure, I think if he went to Aberdeen as his own man he would do extremely well too. They've got a new training Centre in Aberdeen he'd put his name on it straight away.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    In what way would it benefit us to keep a 36 y/o guy whose ability to use his main weapon (i.e. winning the ball back) has been severely hampered by him having next to zero pace left?

What good would it do us - or indeed, what good has it done us - to be pegged back into our own half easily by teams, because our out-of-puff captain is reduced to continually playing in front of the centre-backs, and can’t get near enough to anyone else to make an accurate pass?

Before anyone mentions his apparent effect on the dressing room, our squad is surely about to undergo a massive rebuild; don’t tell me players with character and grit can’t be signed.

Ok, we’ve failed to bring in those kind of players lately (Soro aside), but the very fact that there are some guys still seriously considering keeping Broony is testament to the level of desperation the club has reached.

We can’t let our recent woeful standards make us think keeping Brown around is a remotely good idea. Faithful servant or no, time waits for no man: when you’re done, you’re done, and he couldn’t be more done if you stuck him on a BBQ.

We can easily do better, and we must.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  7. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So there are two rags within the last hour saying we're going to give him another year extension, a * disgrace if this happens before the new manager is appointed, a slimy * move just to rinse the club out of another years wages because he knows the new manager will likely have no interest in having him around the match day squad

SuperZidane likes this.
  8. KevMan

I don’t think (or more hope) anything will be agreed until the new manager is here.

9. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I agree. Piece if * move IF true.

Raoul Duke and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Lawwell handing his mate a year extension on a good salary wouldn't surprise me. I think it could lose Brown favour with quite a few fans too. If it happened when the new manager comes in then I'd say fine they want him but this isn't like Luke Shaw who is probably going to have a lower wage than Broony.

11. SuperZidane

This 100%. I would really back Broony going as a coach to Aberdeen - it would give him a chance to show what he can offer as a coach and, if he makes a fist of it, he would always be welcome back at Celtic.

This season he has been a hindrance to the team and this is hardly likely to change as he gets older. This smacks of Lawwell helping his pal before he goes.

A new manager/head coach is hardly likely to want to build his team around a 36 year old, slow player who is clearly past his best.

He'll be stuck with a player who will warm the bench at best 90% of the time and take up a big wage.

No-one should be being offered contracts or players brought in until the new DoF/Coach manager are in place.

Alas, I can see the fans getting * off with Broony if this goes through. I'd be sorry to see it but it just looks like he's hanging around taking up a wage and hoping for a job on the coaching staff. We have to get away from this crap about giving coaching jobs to ex players. They should go elsewhere and prove themselves.

I hope this either isn't true or Broony chooses to take up a challenge elsewhere.

I'll say one thing for our board - just when you think that they couldn't possibly * anything else up this season - they manage to do it.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC will hold fresh talks with Scott Brown over his future — as Aberdeen prepare to pounce.

SunSport revealed Stephen Glass wants the Hoops captain as his No 2 if he takes over as Dons gaffer.

Brown, 35, is keen on joining up with his old Hibs team-mate at Pittodrie.

But the Celtic hierarchy want him to stay and have tabled a one-year playing contract for the veteran skipper.

Brown is close to chief executive Peter Lawwell and has already been told he can make the final call on his future. Further talks will take place, but if he decides to join the Dons, he will go with Celtic’s full blessing after 14 years and 22 trophies.

The Hoops legend’s deal runs out in the summer, and he has publicly stated he would like to carry on playing.

But with uncertainty over the identity of the next Celts boss — and Brown’s own role at the club — he is assessing his options.

Glass wants the Hoops man on board as player-coach, as he edges closer to taking over as the Aberdeen boss.

England striker coach Allan Russell is also set to become the third member of the new-look Dons management team.

Speaking last month, former Scotland captain Brown admitted he has a big decision to make this summer.

He said: “Peter Lawwell says it is completely and utterly up to myself whether I want to stay or go into a coaching role.

“As it stands just now I am here to support John Kennedy.

“I’ll see if I am still playing and take it from there at the end of the season.

“A new manager might come in and see me just turning 36 and think I’m not going to be part of it.

But I’m big and old enough to take that on the chin.”

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Been some player and captained us during an unprecedented period of success, but it’s time to move on because I don’t see another year in him.

Rydo1888*, Cobbs67 and paulie walnuts like this.
  14. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    How can Lawwell say it’s up to Broony whether he stays or goes. It’s surely up to the new people coming in to decide this.
    Brown has done a great job for us over the years but I think it’s time for him to move on.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Because there can't be a backlash. Lawwell won't be here next season so can't be held accountable for anything going wrong. He just doesn't give a * about it.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Assuming Broony was given another year as the club captain, filling in when necessary, I really don’t see the problem with keeping him in the dressing room another year. We need some sort of continuity next season.

The67Sound and broonieboy like this.
  17. celtic warrior

It's the new managers decision to make, if he thinks brown can be of use to the squad, he stays, if not, he goes.

If he stays then I'm happy so long as the new manager gets brown focusing on coaching more and helps him along, shouldn't lead to him necessarily being given a full time coaching role though at the club though, unless he shows a remarkable aptitude for thr job.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. SuperZidane

Assuming that decision is made by the new manager - I don't disagree but it's got to be their decision.

It is not acceptable for Lawwell (who should have no involvement in our squad for next season) to offer this to Broony before a new manager is appointed.

If he is offered and accepts it, and the new manager has no place for him - we'll be stuck with a player on a high wage with no involvement for a season - no good for Broony + no good for the club.

19. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

There is no doubt Brown is past his best, (I for one was angry as * when Lennon kept playing him)he has been a superb servant to the Club and a very successful Captain. I agree with all that has been said, if he desires a coaching role then it should be away from Celtic to prove himself, to learn. No more jobs for the boys, no more jobs out of sentiment, no more lucrative roles handed on a plate.
    However I see an argument for giving him another years contract but at a reduced salary of course. With so much change being talked about, a DOF, new manager, new coaching staff and the fact we have a few players to bring in, Brown would be the continuity and leadership in the dressing room between any new manager, coaching staff and players. He would be in there to get new players settled, understand that they need to get a winning mentality early and what it means to be playing for the Club. He would be used sparingly but retain being Club captain if not team Captain on match day.

20. Pearse67*

He was finished years ago ffs, has contributed to the mass stagnation present at the club.

Its time for change!