1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I said a club like and at under 18’s level so he can learn, not teach.

You know the club I'm meaning, operate effectively on a small budget and have high standards.

Whats he going to learn at Hib’s, Wigan or even going to Australia? Hib’s and Wigan are *, Australia isn’t actually known for football or producing good managers.

As it is he’s going to waltz into coaching at Celtic and try and implement life as it was under Lennon.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why the * would Ajax, Salzburg or Leipzig want him as a coach :giggle1:

KRS-1888 and Peej like this.
  3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The exact reasons why we shouldn’t

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You're not making much sense here.

If the lad still wants to play football AND continue his coaching then the likes of Australia is ideal for him.
    He'd learn the fundamentals of actually coaching, with realistic chance of being an assistant or manager in a short space of time that would likely see reasonable success in that league (no offence to Australian league).

As for wigan - just an example of the calibre of club he should try get a start in, where being s reasonable coach can also likely see a quick progression to earn his managerial experience.
    Likewise at Hibs.

The key to all these sort of clubs though, is they all will have a bigger reliance on young talent than we currently do, another experience he would need and would equal an easier progression of he is starting with their reserves (such as player coach in Australia).

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Why am i not making sense Peej? I get that Ajax and Salzburg ect are successful and don’t need a coach like Brown but what i’m meaning is surely there is a sort of trainee coach role/apprenticeship that he can get at a club “LIKE” i’ve mentioned in order for him to bring something to us later on and benefit Celtic? Eddie Howe travelled round Europe to learn, why can’t Brown.

Would you be happy with a manager that has a career consistent of Wigan and Hib’s? Would you *.

He’d be aswell as going to the Scottish championship than going to Australia.

People just see that ive put Brown in the same sentence as Ajax and go “*” rather than actually get why i said it.

6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    It’s not laughable to state the fact that the do it; it is a laughable comparison because we don’t have the quality they have, so to suggest that we employ Scott Brown as a coach on the basis that Ajax has employed Bergkamp is ridiculous.

7. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Yup. Wasn’t saying we *should* play him for the rest of this season; was saying that, from what he’s saying, it seems like he’s been told he won’t play.

That was abundantly clear from how I’d put it, tbh.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Started really poor for me but grew in to it..

9. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Brown already has a coaching role at the club should he want it from Lawwell, * small time as *

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Ajax, Salzburg and Leipzig are not the place to go to learn the trade. Not even at youth level.

They’ll all have their own outstanding youth coaches, far better than what we have here at the same level.

11. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I know: saying it’s ridiculous.

12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

One bit when he was just walking and the ball came to him and he tried to play a cute first time pass and gave it away. Ano he’s old but he spends a lot of time pretty static and always just plays a safe 5 yard pass. Need Soro for the Rangers game back in.

RogicHasMagicToes likes this.
  13. The Dude

It is telling that our youth coaches tend to be former players who were primarily known for their leadership qualities on the pitch, rather than, say, their technical ability or footballing intelligence. (Maloney and Duff are notable exceptions, and, incidentally, generally regarded as better coaches.)

It is clear that the people in charge of the club have an outdated conception of what makes a good coach: indeed, it is why they appointed Lennon. Shouting at players will only get you so far though.

Brown may well turn out to be an excellent coach, but the cronyism must stop. Let him learn his trade elsewhere, and return if and when he has shown an aptitude for the job.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm sure one of our most decorated players in history would have something to offer to our youth...

broonieboy likes this.
  15. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Larsson?

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What about him?

17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I’m defo for this. I know a lot of folk are saying we shouldn’t just be giving jobs to the Bhoys because of how it worked it with Lennon this time round. Which is right you need to earn it, which Brown has IMO. Unfortunately I think his time is up to play every week but if we hire a manager from the continent especially I wouldn’t be against Brown moving into coaching set up.

broonieboy likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just like Lennon?

I don't get this thinking that because someone was a good player/a successful player, it automatically means they will be a good coach.

Brown could well be a fantastic coach in the future, but I'd like to think he'd only be given a coaching role in the club if he's cut out for it. Not as a "thank you" for his time as a player.

The Dude likes this.
  19. JamesM09

I agree with this. I don’t understand how people can’t see how damaging cronyism has been at this club. Here on merit or not here. Only the best people for each job should be here. We’re not a charity for millionaire footballers and we don’t owe Brown anything.

RogicHasMagicToes and The Dude like this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What's Lennon got to do with Brown taking a Youth coaching role?

If you were a youth player and you had someone like Brown with everything he's achieved at the club and in the game dropping down to coach you I'm sure you'd be delighted.

Who knows what he'sd

be like as coach but he's done his badges and has already spent a lot of time helping the youths..

Wouldn't want him near the first team setup but if he wanted to coach the youths got no issue with that.. See how it works out..

However, we should be making no appointments until the DoF comes in, he may want a whole new ethos throughout the club.