1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We are flat and * for months now, while he has been in the team

Flat and * while he was out it as well.

That tells its own story.

But regardless, I think we all can see that he isn't the player he used to be and really needs managed properly.
    Something this current management setup seems unable to do with any of our players.

The problem is bigger than brown.
    But that doesn't excuse the issues we also have with him. Same as with Taylor and same as with not playing two up top.

We need to learn to play with and without brown.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Still the best DM at the club.

joemc, moravcik1888 and G_portillo like this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think thats something we should be actively looking at. His longevity and way he looks after himself if admirable but i feel that we could bring someone in who could do more in that position.

Peej likes this.
  4. Jeremie Frimpong

It was inevitable that one poor game without him would be used to justify many poor games with him.

He has been better in the last few games.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    To be 100% honest, I do think he's lost a bit of acceleration; but he's still quite fast and clearly still a very good player for us. There's slowing down and there's slowing down. He hasn't got the afterburners anymore, but he's still quick enough. There was a bit midweek where he was tackled outside their box (and he absolutely should be taking risks there) and we made a hash of stopping their break and they got their player through and who was it chasing down their player at very high speed to put him under pressure? Broony. He must have literally got straight up and sprinted the length of the pitch because he could see what was going to happen. I was really impressed with him.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not so much the poor game without him as the very obvious way we improved when he came on and took control.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Came on and did well, I think this is the best option going forward..think he'd make more impact as a 2nd half sub than playing the full game but we'll just have to see.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Today only furthers the idea that he should be used intelligently, rather than starting constantly. Bringing him on when teams are tiring is exactly the right way to use him.

10. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There are reasons why Neil Lennon tries to play Broony as much as possible, today underlined them. Please can we now stop this 'get brown out of the team' bullshit now. He is the man to lead us to 10 in a row, at the end of this huge season the situation can be assessed again.

Random Review and joemc like this.
  11. joemc

You would have to question anyone who would in all seriousness think its a good idea to remove the captain of a side, who , has been at the forefront of 9 league titles and going for an historic ten , it would be pure madness , it just seems he takes a little longer to get going again at start of the season , if we do the 10 then pick and choose the games season after .

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'd rather he was on controlling the game from the start TBH. 90th and 93rd minute goals are not a great advert for bringing him on late IMHO.

Edit: I do think there's a very good argument for subbing him off when we are comfortable, though.

King of Kings and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Given how little he contributes going forward, I doubt he’d have made a difference had he started.

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He created more in the short time that he was on than Ntcham did for the time he was on.

That * through to McGregor was superb and it was unlucky that it wasn't Griff as he'd have lashed at it on the drop down.

Contrast last week's dominant performance against Hibs and this weekend v St Johnstone; we weren't at it in the middle today.

And for all that Brown isn't the most prolific in the world his will to win is 2nd to none, he's had some huge moments for us in recent seasons.

Late winner v Killie to all but seal the League in 18/19, late assist for Édouard winner v Tynecastle the day after the rat left, late winner v Hamilton last season.

Then in the Dundee United game when we're chasing a goal it's 35 year old Brown bursting into the box, screaming at Édouard to lay it off to him, before Ajeti steps up and hits it in.

There's life in the old dog yet and him being our best midfielder in what was our best performance of the season v Hibs showed that.

16. joemc

Its even crazy there is a debate tbh ,lenny twice ,strachan , and the rat did not pick him for * all , hes that important and I agree sub in a game already won only to protect from a possible injury .

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think he showed today exactly what he contributes going forward and he's been doing it for a while IMHO.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Having to go back to previous seasons to back up your point shows that he doesn't actually contribute much going forward. I've never said he hasn't had huge moments or that he doesn't have a great will to win, and I stand by that today is a good example of why he has to be used intelligently. The way St.Johnstone played would have made it difficult for us regardless of who started.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He's been largely pish this season, so I disagree.

20. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I dunno, I've been praising his attacking contribution for a while TBH, even back when I (like everyone else) was worried his legs have gone defensively. I really like his passing choices. For example, he knows how to mix it up to keep opponents guessing. You'll often see him go long a few times to buy space to go short. He's also the only midfielder we have other than McGregor who thinks 2 or 3 passes ahead IMHO. He often plays interesting angles that open up space for someone else to penetrate with a pass or run (the goal against Dundee Utd is a great example of that) and that first half today, you could really see the importance of how he links the defence with midfield and how knowing that Broony will drop in gives Ajer the confidence to bring it out too. Finally, you could see with his gestures today how much he still orchestrates our entire team.

I'll say it again, Griffiths and Klimala absolutely deserve their plaudits, but Scott Brown changed that game today.