1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Vakoun Bayo's here for 10 in a row, 10 in a rooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww!

3. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    There's a lot of people talking bollocks in this thread. Broony has been a great servant of the club, and although he is getting older, he still has plenty to offer the club (on and off the pitch).

By all means give constructive criticism, but some of the disrespect shown here is out of line.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Swap the Rugby Park advertising board for Halliday's back.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Brown is battling to play through the pain of a broken toe as he bids to lead Celtic to a treble Treble

Record Sport can reveal the eight-in-a-row skipper visited a Glasgow hospital yesterday for a scan on the injury which could keep him on the sidelines this weekend when the champions celebrate their latest title at home to Hearts.

Celtic’s medical team now face an anxious wait before discovering the full extent of the damage - with Brown desperate to lead his team mates out at Hampden to face the Jambos in the Scottish Cup Final next Saturday when he hopes to make another piece of history.

It’s understood the veteran has been experiencing serious discomfort for a fortnight after initially picking up the injury during the 3-0 win at Pittodrie - the result which carried Neil Lennon’s side over the finishing line.

But although he declared himself fit to face Rangers last week, doctors now believe that he has in fact suffered a fracture.

A source said: “Broonie didn’t even realised he was playing with a broken toe but that’s typical of the guy.

There’s obviously a fear that he could be out of the cup final but knowing him, he won’t let a wee thing like a broken toe stop him from playing at Hampden. You’re talking about a man from Fife here!”

6. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    If Paul Wood can play for Warrington in the Super League Grand Final 2012, then Broony can play next weekend (just google Paul Wood and marvel !!! )

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Shame there’s only a like button on here. :rolleyes:

Captain Brown likes this.
  10. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I for one would never have signed that picture for them , but it shows the true measure of the man he did !!

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

HE may be bidding to pick up the 20th winner’s medal of his long and trophy-laden career in the William Hill Scottish Cup final this afternoon and help Celtic complete what would be their third consecutive domestic treble in the process, but Scott Brown’s desire remains undiminished.

That a player who turns 34 next month is still as determined to triumph as he was when he first stepped out on the hallowed turf at Hampden on such an occasion some 15 years ago, more about which later, says much about why both he and his side have enjoyed unprecedented success in the past few years.

It would be quite understandable if the Parkhead skipper and his team mates had grown blasé about their dominance of the game in this country, become complacent against lesser opposition and slipped up in a one-off game.

But having an onfield leader with such drive has ensured Celtic have been untouchable in the league or the cup competitions they have been involved in since 2016 and should prevail once again, and what is more do so comfortably, against their capital rivals Hearts today.

Brown emphasised that he has not become indifferent about their stranglehold on silverware and is still as eager to emerge victorious from their latest encounter as at any stage previously in his playing days.

“There is no such thing as just another treble,” he said. “What the lads have done over the last two seasons is incredible. To do it again would be phenomenal.

“Every treble has meant a lot. The first one, to be unbeaten for the season, was amazing. Nobody then expected us to do it again. We now have the chance to make it three out of three and make history. We need to make sure we get over the line.”

Brown forged a close bond with Brendan Rodgers during the Northern Irishman’s time in charge of Celtic that endures to this day even though his former mentor has, with the vitriol of the supporters ringing in his ears, departed for Leicester City.

He attributes the run the team is on to the change in outlook his old coach was responsible for and expressed confidence that they can extend it under his replacement Neil Lennon.

When Brendan came, the mindset changed,” he said. “He put faith in us and believed that we could play our style here. It was more about the way we played and set up, instead of just turning up and hoping for the best. Neil is the same and can also do the motivating like Brendan. We need to turn up, play our game, dominate and take control.

“We always come to Hampden thinking we will win a trophy. You need to be positive. You can’t think: ‘Today’s not for us’. That can put doubt in people’s heads. We will come with a smile on our face like we have for two years.”

Brown can still vividly remember the pain that he felt when the Hibernian side he was a member of suffered a shock 2-0 defeat at the hands of Livingston in the League Cup final back in 2004. He admitted is always keen to avoid a repeat of that experience.

“We had about 40,000 fans and Livi had about 450,” he said. I remember the supporters just started to leave. It seemed like a very bad place to be. It was horrible. We’d put out the big two (Celtic and Rangers) and people automatically thought we’d win, but we didn’t take chances. I know the feeling of being beaten in a cup final and it’s not a nice place to be. Luckily for us, we bounced back and won the final against Killie a few years later.”

Hearts have beaten Celtic twice at Tynecastle in the past two seasons and will be looking to pull off another upset at Hampden today. Brown, though, feels the venue will suit his side and aimed a thinly-veiled dig at the Edinburgh club over the length of the grass on their playing surface in those previous losses.

“We believe we can win games at Hampden,” he said. “The pitch is big and looks fantastic. I’ve been out there and it’s always good when it looks like it should - and not a rugby field. It’s harder for everyone to play their normal game because the pitch is as big as it can be. For everyone on the park, it’s harder to close people down and put pressure on people.”

Brown has taken great pleasure in proving the doubters who have repeatedly dismissed him as a spent force incapable of playing at the highest level wrong. He has enjoyed seeing teenagers like Karamoko Dembele, Ewan Henderson and Mikey Johnston come into the team this season and acquit themselves well. He reckons they help him to remain fit and sharp.

“You can write me off every season,” he said. “I’ll keep coming back as many times as I can, although one day they will be right. I still have the energy to keep going and the lads keep pushing me. One day I will fall off a cliff but right now, I feel good and I want them to keep pushing.

“You need to enjoy finals. I play with more of a smile on my face now than I ever have done. I enjoy football, the way we play and our style suits me. I have support all around me and we are a very tight bunch, who do a lot together on and off the park.”

Scott Brown is self-deprecating when it comes to talking about himself. He baulks at comparisons with all-time Celtic greats such as Billy McNeill and Paul McStay. He describes himself as “a daft wee guy from Fife”. While he can certainly be a madcap presence in the dressing room, on the training ground and even, at times, on the field of play, his legendary status is beyond question.

“I keep all my medals. They all mean a lot to me. I don’t go about bragging and saying ‘look what I’ve won’. It’s just memories of positive, happy times for me.”

Montero likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would've. We won that day and he basically got 3 men sent off.

15. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Wouldn’t be half as successful if it wasn’t for this man. :notworthy

scotsbhoy1 likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As poor as he was, he dragged us through after we went behind. Hope we manage to get someone in that allows him to be rested at times next season.

That trophy haul :eek1:

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought he was pish again.

Badly needed a manager who had the balls to drop him and play McGregor in there.