1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

We should retire the thread.

johnboy19 likes this.
  2. Blythe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Someone who you wanted in the trenches with you,Top player

Celtic Frost likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Brown was named as Man of the Match following his last ever game at Paradise as a Celtic player this evening, as the Hoops swept St Johnstone aside 4-0.

Goals from David Turnbull, Odsonne Edouard, Kris Ajer and Karamoko Dembele ensured the long-serving captain’s last hurrah in Glasgow’s East End ended on a high (the skipper even assisted Edouard’s strike with a sublime long-ball), but the Celtic number 8 spent most of his post-match interview praising the absent fans.

Here’s Brown’s words to Celtic TV in full: “It’s a great day. We wanted to win, especially given it’s the last game of the season at home. It means so much to myself as well, the 14 years that I’ve had at the club means it’s an emotional day.

‘It’s a special club with special fans and it’s just sad that they’re not here today for me to say goodbye to them in person.’

“But I’ll take it in my stride, we’ve got one game left at Easter Road, where everything started for myself. My last game before I left Hibs was there against Celtic. Tonight was a good occasion, a special occasion for myself and the main thing was we managed to win it.

“We had a debut for young Monty as well, he was fantastic. I think you’ve got to mention him too.

“When I walked through the doors at the club, in that first year I was happy to win a trophy and to be part of that and push on. We’ve had a lot of ups and downs since. My career here has been really enjoyable. I’ve enjoyed every single moment of my time here.

“It’s a special club with special fans and it’s just sad that they’re not here today for me to say goodbye to them in person. Here’s hoping I get to come here with Aberdeen next season and I can say goodbye to them then.

“My message to the fans is: thanks for your support and for your patience. The main thing was, I came here to win trophies. Celtic fans expect trophies. We’ve done that, although it’s been a disappointing season this season. But, believe me, Celtic will be back and challenging next season.

“There are too many people at the club who work so hard to make sure there are improvements year on year, and I think that’s the best thing about this club. Plus, as soon as we get the fans back, every single player gets an extra 10 percent from them.”

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    StanP19 likes this.
  4. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Gutted that he’ll no longer be captaining us, I’m gonna miss seeing his name on the team sheet.
    Gonna be weird seeing this in the ex players thread as well :38:

5. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    His name will be spoken about in the future the way we look back on greats like McNeil and Jinky and Larsson, he has had an unbelievable career here and I wish him all the best.

johnboy19, James Mc, JED and 3 others like this.
  6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He's been a great servant to Celtic but his name doesn't belong in the same breath as any of those imo.

Cena likes this.
  7. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    See tbh, a lot of the players who've attained legendary, great or iconic status for us over the past 20 years or so have all gone out in disappointment or just faded away.

The only one I can think of who got the romantic send-off he deserved was Henrik. We won the double that year, whitewashed the Huns and beat Barca to get to the QF of the Uefa Cup. But fittingly, he scored both goals in his last ever game at Parkhead during a 2-1 win v Dundee United, and then scored a double in the Cup final the following week v Dunfermline. The stars just seemed to align.

But I'm thinking of many of the Seville team - Sutton, Thompson, Hartson etc. and I'm thinking of players like Naka and Boruc, who just kind of left and that was it.

I know Broony got a send-off of sorts tonight but it doesn't really feel like one. No fans in the stadium coupled with an absolutely horrendous season (probably the worst season in modern history) have made his departure seem like a non-event.

Sad.

8. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

i Agree, broony need a bigger send of.

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JED likes this.
  10. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
  11. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Absolute legend. Wish him nothing but the best. There'll be a massive gap there in terms of leadership.

JML67 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

:56:Still decked at this

what a way to go out

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

* delighted I never have to utter a bad word about this absolute hero again.

All the best Scott.

johnboy19, The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  14. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If u turn out to be a * manager Scott please don't come back because i cant be arsed slaughtering ye

Slaw and AdamRS like this.
  15. JamesM09

I've been full of praise and criticism for Brown over the years but there's not debating he's been hugely influential and of course hugely beneficial to Celtic.

Praise and criticism are all well and good, but for me what everyone as a supporter or as a custodian of the club should be asking themselves what can we learn from Scott Brown at Celtic.

1. My biggest regret for Scott Brown is he didn't get to play under better quality managers during his time here. For me, his time under Rodgers completely dwarfed the rest of his time at Celtic. I think in those short years we saw the real Scott Brown that we never consistently unlocked. Can you imagine Scott Brown under a Rodgers at 25 years old? The lesson for me is we simply must ALWAYS hire top managers for our players. We cannot waste years under Deilas, Lennons and Mowbrays.

2. The obvious one: he stayed too long. We simply cannot show loyalty like that to a player. Once a player isn't good enough they need to be removed from the starting lineup. If they manage to improve again that's absolutely fine but we cannot carry players. Generally - the stigma over getting dropped is old-fashioned and we need to move on from it.

3. We can keep great players long term. Obviously many players will want to move to better leagues and I think that's absolutely fine, but we are a big club, a great place to live and a great place to have a career. If we find the right player and give them the right salary we can keep great players.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agree with all of this really.

Your first point is very good though, think the "Brown is passed it" debate has been on going for about 6 or 7 years, even before he hit 30, we always seemed to have that slow start to a season with him, before he would go on to "prove the doubters wrong".
    But I have to fully agree with your point James, just imagine if we had Brown at 25 under a Rodgers level of manager. The fitness, professionalism and discipline (not just his tackles, I mean in every aspect) shot up massively under Rodgers and Brown is the sort of guy who will embrace that 100%.
    He unfortunately seems to also be someone who would let a dip in peak fitness creep in a little, as seen over summers and probably why for so many years we all witnessed the early season form take a tad longer to come good.

Even this season we saw it and a lot of us expected him to kick on at some stage, unfortunately he just never did - and there comes your next point bang on as well.

Brown, is 100% a club legend for us.
    No one can argue this at all.
    He fully deserved yesterday to be all about him and my(all of ours) only disappointment yesterday is that we weren't in there with him!

Every player takes criticism at some stage in their career, some more regular than others and Brown was no different in that respect. But what he gave, what we got from Brown over these 14 years is absolutely unreal and I thank the lad for every moment of it.

Good luck to him at the sheep - just don't do too well against us!

JamesM09 likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What a guy.

Gave us some tremendous moments and an unreal captain. Love how his game developed as he got older and he made that CDM role look a doddle at times. Tidied * up and controlled games at times. Always felt a bit more special when he bagged a goal, that extra oomf in your celebration when it was Broony.

Not without his faults on occasion too. Be it a horrendous performance or some petulance. He could always be forgiven though, not by all, and not quickly sometimes, but he always bounced back.

Will definitely miss him, especially in the changing room, what a chasm he will leave behind. Not devastated to see him go, the time is right. But holy *, it still hits you a bit.

SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN!! :36:

JS117646214.jpg

18. Maestro 08

Sad to see Brown the character leave not so much Brown the player these days.

Done it all for us and some. For me he's definitely earned his club legend status.

johnboy19 likes this.
  19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

The club will continue to feed us the #ThankYouBroony stuff for a while yet to try and deflect. Folk will soon get bored of it if they haven’t already. Get some proper communication out ffs.

20. Celtic Frost God of Hellfire Gold Member

Maybe this was posten earlier. if so * you..

johnboy19 likes this.