1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Bain is absolutely fine for what he is.
    He is a great option to have as backup.

Never a first team player for us though, no offence to the lad I am sure he understands that after the last 3 seasons now.
    Not only is persisting with him * up Barkas and setting us back years on a keeper issue, it is going to crush Bain as this poor run continues and he is the one in the firing line every time a goal goes in - his fault or not.
    Yet again, poor management of players by the manager. Does not understand how to rotate, coach or manage them to keep them fresh and or content.

2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    People still seem to buy into the idea that NL is a ‘man manager’.....

his man management has been nothing short of atrocious, especially in his second spell. The Barkas/Bain issue is only one example. Try telling a 20 year old lad who thought he was doing right by the club in continuing to play through an injury (Something he made KT do and could’ve ended his career...another example) to ‘* off’. Try doing your dirty laundry in public by explicitly stating that certain players want to leave and that’s why we were dumped out of the CL by a team operating on a fraction of our budget, not because you had the genius idea of playing no recognised striker. Everything the guy touches Turns to *.

Peej likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He was a decent motivator at Celtic first time around because he oozed old school Lennon and a passion for the club.
    But let's remember it took the Killmarnock 3-3 draw for that to really show through. A game he was near enough out the door for at half time.
    He's a terrible man manager, terrible coach and a terrible trainer.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  4. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Can anyone tell me why Bain was dropped?

Ok he didn't go down to well against Sparta but we're the goals really his fault?

He did save a couple of pens albeit they followed up to score...he's a better shot stopper than Barkas.

5. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Lennon wasn't manager when Tierney was here

6. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was for the final few months of Tierneys Celtic career albeit those were injury plagued months.

7. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    in my opinion he was dropped because he looked a bundle of nerves ,his distribution has detioriated drastically , he's hesitant , can't catch a ball cleanly and gets no where near anythng but penalties .
    just an opinion but I was amazed when we gave him a 4 yr deal, you don't get a keeper in at 25 yr old as back up ,he's got to able to fight for the no 1 jersey and he's shown he's no where near.

8. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

Ciaran_67 likes this.
  9. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    Bain is the only 1 of the 3 I'd play against the Huns

10. The Dude

He has had a better Celtic career than Barkas so far, but I imagine that Lennon will persist with Barkas because we paid a substantial fee for him. Neither of them have been up to scratch this season, so it would perhaps be understandable.

It is imperative that we have a settled backline going into the second half of the season if we are to stand any chance of mounting a title challenge.

11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Barkas will be loaned in Jan with a buy option imo, both to save wages & recoup some of the transfer fee, I think he's already been written off tbh by the management team. A new keeper will come in (hopefully Forster), with Bain & Hazard fighting to be second choice.

12. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    bearing in mind Bains experience and background he must one of the most fortunate goalkeepers around , I remember Carson was close to signing but it fell through a far better keeper who has been very unfortunate with injuries.
    Bain never looked like an athlete or competent to me ,first thing he dies when he gets the ball in his hands is give the team the calm down hand gesture .
    at the moment I don't think any 9f the 3 want the jersey but I'm sure Barkas is the best of the bunch and just needs to settle in

13. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    An interesting discussion. I was looking for some stats on GK position and that has come up well.

Long and short of it is that the goalkeeping situation is not the cause of this run. Barkas and Bain are both performing near enough statistically average in terms of expected goals conceded relative to opposition. Effectively, they are both just average goalkeepers at this moment in time - not any worse than average but not any better.

Forster is just a top class goalkeeper who may have been papering over the cracks last year - do we even qualify from EL group? Do we lose to Huns in League Cup Final?

Another interesting point they brought up is that we actually were conceding fewer expected chances under Rodgers in Europe compared to Lennon’s second stint despite playing top quality CL opposition. However, we had Craig Gordon as goalkeeper rather than Forster. If we had a Forster in during that time we might have done even better in Europe - do we win close games like Man City, Gladbach away and Bayern Munich at home potentially?

14. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We don't qualify from the EL Group & we do lose to Sevco in the cup final last season without Forster, he was indeed papering over the cracks in Lenny's team selections & tactics (or lack of).

We also do beat Man City, Gladbach away & Bayern at home with a keeper the standard of Forster under Brendan, that's the difference a top, top class GK makes, can make an incompetent manager look competent & can make a very good manager look elite or even better than they are.

Smithy likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Shipped twice as many goals in half the games that barkas did.

Neither of the two really done anything "wrong" no obvious clangers from either, but Bain needed dropped to give barkas more time to settle.
    Only we didn't really do that and changed it all up again.

Barkas may be struggling to adapt and needs help, but Bain most certainly ain't the answer - not while we persist with guys like Duffy and brown in front of him.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

16. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    He was. And Tierney has basically stated that his injury was exacerbated over the games he felt he needed to play whilst NL was there.

17. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Bain has never been an ideal 1st choice GK and didn't cover himself in glory when he came in for Barkas . Unfortunately Barkas himself has been a bad recruitment and gives me the fear. Young Hazzard was shaky throughout Sunday's final and only redeemed himself with his penalty saves. So, basically, we need to sign a decent quality GK in January

18. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I’d be inclined to play Bain against the Huns given he has performed against them before and has played more high pressure games for us than the rest of them.

This keeper situation is messy, although it was probably a fair option to give Hazard a go.

Problem is, how do you now bring back Bain from not being in the squad for the cup final to now playing in what will be a massive game for us? All of the keepers’ confidence will be shot to *.

19. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    All the keepers know someone else will be brought in as No.1 in January & they're all just a stop gap until then, it's a dire situation for them all mentally. I suppose Hazard has a chance to cement himself as No.2 though, that should be his motivation before a new keeper is signed in January.

20. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Bain tries to appear calm but he must be a bag of nerves judging from the way he plays ,he's terrified to take a catch and he tends to wait for lower balls that he can take into his body ,even then he spills them .
    it would be a brave des8si9n to play him as 8 think it could totally finish him 9ff