1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Bain

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Jan 31, 2018.

Discuss Scott Bain in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally agree, Bains record in goal for us is pretty good. Just feel sometimes he’s a bit hasty, but I’d imagine that’s down to confidence. Now he has his long term deal and trophies under his belt he might feel mentally he deserves to be here and therefore make calmer decisions

Lilac Wine and Jacob knows like this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He's an able backup but we need a real match winner in goal. We probably would have lost both games against Lazio and the League Cup final last season if Bain was starting.

Lennon1888, Dalbeth3, Hammy89 and 3 others like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott Brown insists Celtic will be in safe hands if Scott Bain starts the season between the sticks.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon is hoping to have a new goalkeeper on board by the end of the week after the departure of Craig Gordon and the collapse of the move to keep Fraser Forster.

Bain is last senior man standing and he impressed on pre-season duty in France after starting the 1-1 draw with Nice and the 2-1 defeat to Lyon on Saturday.

The 28-year-old will look to hold off Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday night and Brown admitted he would have no fears if the former Dundee ace was handed the gloves for Celtic’s Premiership opener against Hamilton on August 1.

“I’m sure he will be pushing himself regardless of whether someone else comes in or not to try to focus on getting that no.1 jersey.

We’d trust him to do the business, definitely. He came in and was brilliant for us when he arrived. He was chucked in at the deep end at Ibrox. Dorus de Vries got injured the day before and Bainy went straight in and he saved us that day, to be honest.

He kicked on from there and he was fantastic for us in that run in – as he has been whenever he’s been asked to play.

“Bainy never lets anyone down and I’m sure he’ll step up if he plays this week, the next or whenever.

“It’s not like he lost his place. He injured his finger – you know what goalies as like with their fingers – and that was why he wasn’t in the team

That’s how it is with keepers, only one can play, but he’s always worked hard in training and been ready whenever the call has come.

Bain will have his work cut out against PSG’s £400m frontline tomorrow night but Brown is hoping playing in front of fans is a sign of things to come in Scotland.

tarboltontim likes this.
  4. Jeremie Frimpong

I like him. He might never be our first-choice goalkeeper, but he has had some excellent games in a Celtic jersey. He is a much better option than, say, de Vries, or Załuska.

I would be happy with Barkas, Bain, and perhaps an experienced goalkeeper that they can learn from.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  5. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    He’s got good distribution but I think he’s too short to really challenge and be our #1, doesn’t have great reach for a GK and is prone to the odd calamity.

6. TheHappyLoss

If he was our number one for the season I think he’d be a weak link

Lennon1888, Dalbeth3 and Dan Breen like this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    GK is a priority position for our upcoming transfers. If Bain is injured, the others are untested, and I agree with
    @TheHappyLoss, I think Bain would be a weak link over the course of a season.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I like him always have but his shot stopping isn't at the standard of FF, we will sign a no1 I feel.

9. celtic warrior

He was solid enough domestically.

But Forster shows the clear difference between levels and what that level of gk for us can help the team achieve.

We desperately need better as our defensive quality is rather threadbare imo.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. john2061

Just look at the Motherwell game and the European qualifier he played in the bad mistakes he did in those games that's why Lennon brought in foster and not good enough even to be number two keeper .

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Judging a player on 2 isolated performances is daft; especially when the Cluj game we had an unfamiliar defence without Julien that left him very exposed.

Forster is levels above Bain, there's no doubt about it but that doesn't make Bain a bad keeper. Infact I'd probably say it's our strongest 2nd choice keeper since Zaluska.

The_Bhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. john2061

Well the manager decided he had seen enough to bring in foster so you must be questioning the manager judgement as well then .

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a very good back up keeper. His distribution is excellent by and large..

His shot stopping is better than given credit for as well..

There's no debate though, he's a massive drop off of Forster. Isn't his fault but he just doesn't have the presence of a top level keeper due to his height and gives you a freight when crosses come in on top of him..

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not at all. We should always be looking to upgrade where it's feasible, Forster is an upgrade - as I said in my last post.

That doesn't mean that Bain isn't good enough to be a back up keeper. He suits us far better than Gordon did and De Vries - I don't need to comment on.

As a low-cost, #2, knows the league and won't rock the boat for lack of game time it's hard to envisage a better option coming than Bain.

The_Bhoy and charlietully like this.
  15. john2061

Think Gordon is a better keeper than Bain and if we were going into the last sevco game of the league season would rather have Gordon in goal .
    But he wants first team football and Celtic couldn't give him that so hopefully we will get in two good goalkeepers before the window closes .

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not for me, Gordon's kicking and general * about is counter-productive to how Lennon wants to play.

Bain's distribution is far superior, his communication with the defence too. He's nowhere near as bad as some make out. That said we should still be looking for a solid #1 as close to Forster's level as possible.

17. Venomspawn82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Agree. Gordon was a great shot stopper while Bain is worse both positional wise and shot stopping. Only thing better about him is his kicking but in my book that's way less important. He should be our number 3 imo.

18. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Need a new first start goalkeeper. Priority.

19. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    No way can we start the season with him as number 1 , instils confidence in no one .

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

PSG game just reiterates what we all knew already, goalkeeper is priority number 1.

john2061 likes this.