1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

It was the biggest crowd at Celtic Park since March 2020, and a foretaste of what’s to come in the weeks and months ahead, as the prospect of full capacity crowds becomes a reality from today onwards.

And for Ryan Christie, having the backing of the Celtic supporters will be a huge advantage to the team throughout the season, starting this Thursday against FK Jablonec in the Europa League.

That was evident on Sunday as 24,500 fans inside the stadium inspired Ange Postecoglou’s side to an exhilarating 6-0 win over Dundee, with the performance, in turn, enthralling all those cheering the team on from the stands.

Speaking to Celtic TV after the game, Ryan Christie said: “That’s what everybody’s missed and that was another thing the gaffer touched on before the game, we need to feed off that and it’s a huge advantage for us throughout a season, playing in front of our fans.

'When we play well, they feed of us and we can send them home happy after a result like that.'

“It was a great win. We wanted to start the home campaign on a good foot, the manager was determined about that before the game and, obviously, with even more fans allowed in, we wanted to send them away showing them all the hard work we’ve put in pre-season. I think we did that.

“We started very well, especially in the first half hour – maybe came off it a little bit towards the end of the first half but we started the second half on the front foot and all the boys were brilliant.”

Christie played his part in the impressive win, providing three assists – two for Kyogo and one for Tom Rogic, with his pass to set up the Japanese forward for his third goal of the game absolutely perfect in its precision.

Of course, it was the hat-trick hero who grabbed all the headlines, along with the match ball and the admiration of his Celtic team-mates.

“The gaffer’s put a big emphasis on the attacking players and their final product,” explained Christie, “and I’m obviously happy to assist Kyogo, but I’m more delighted for him.

“Since he’s come in, there are so many obstacles he’s had to get over – obviously the language barrier and trying to adjust to our culture and he’s done all that flawlessly. So all the boys are delighted for him because what a great performance he put in.”

2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Christie having second thoughts about going? I hope so

3. Foley1888

Given how little we would get for him and the manner he has started this season, I have done a complete U turn and would really like him to stay. He has looked great out on the left wing a position we have nearly no options for.

Christie can also operate as either one of the two 8’s if we play more a 4-3-3 or as the central player in a 3 of a striker, so effectively can cover 3 positions in our preferred formations. Given the size of squad rebuild that versatility is invaluable.

Plus if you keep Christie, with Forrest, Abada, Kyogo, Lovric (hopefully) and a striker to replace Edouard that’s some options for the front three and having Turnbull, Christie (again) and Rogic to play just off the front 3.

4. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I believe Christie is playing out of his skin so when his contract runs out in 6 months time there will be a few EPL clubs waiting to sign him up on a free. Have to admit that leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth, however im not going to complain if he shows that kind of form no matter what his intentions are.

5. saltire78

I'm not sour... Give 100% and leave for free means we're probably in Europe knockout stages and ahead in the league... Coins have 2 sides mate... Focus on the negative and you're always on a loser...

craigtheceltic and Noskeil like this.
  6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye, I did say im not going to complain if he continues to play the way he has recently. It would be nice if he signed a new 3 year deal and played like that for next few seasons but I dont think that is whats behind his motivation for putting in excellent performances at the moment.

saltire78 likes this.
  7. AussieGreek

8. Crilly

Really hope he extends his stay. His change of heart emphasises how rotten things were under that useless * Lennon

9. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    That’s modern day football sadly, can’t blame the player. It’s more on agents and hangers on these days. A player gets a decent move to the EPL, the agents wage goes up as well as contractural extras.

I’d love to see him stay but totally understand the world we live in now, look at messi for example you think they’re happy at losing out on both player and transfer fee?

10. Mr Cleansheets

I've been blown away by Christie since Ange came in. Certainly does throw a harsh light on Lennon.

Really want him to stay.

11. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

So good to see him back on form.

Last season he was so selfish and frustrating with shooting from everywhere and giving the ball away constantly. Good to see the Ryan Christie of old: working tirelessly for the team and been unselfish.

Offers so much to the team when he is at it. Long may it continue.

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mystic Slaw.

Slaw, NomDePlum and Noskeil like this.
  13. Mr Hoopy

Christie was anonymous last season and didn't try a leg, contributing to the shambles and embarrassment that unfolded.

IF he was to stay I would think it reasonable for him to sign a new contract and make up for last season by being the player we know he can be on a consistent basis, win us the league and then and only then can he leave with my blessing.

We do not need passengers...

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    I was critical but lets be honest, hes not the only one who suffered under Lennon, even Cal Mac looks a different player now, probably the only * happy under Lennon were his pals, like Brown.

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He certainly seems to have bought into what Ange is looking for and there is no doubt when he is on his game he is a quality player. Would be great news if he signs a new deal. That was the big thing for me. If he is not committed better to sell him and move on. But he is a good player so if he is fully on board with what Ange wants and signs a new deal then brilliant.

16. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Watched Sunday's highlights several times. Every time I'm shocked by how fast and well he played.

Moving him to the left has been a fantastic move.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Out of all of our players who were already here prior to the new manager arriving, he is definitely the one who's attributes suit this style best.

Can only imagine Postecoglou's desperate to keep him.

He can also play as a CM easily, which gives us a lot of flexibility. Could have a midfield of him, mcgregor and turnbull, if we are not wanting to burn Mccarthy out.

18. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hope he stays.. just needs to ask for a clause in his contract specifying an amount he can leave for.. its not rocket science

Celtic is a great club in a * league, none of us fail to understand why players want to go play elsewhere.. just give your best and help the club recoup their outlay.

In doing so these players will always be welcomed back and remain favorites with the fan base.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  19. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    It seems like a positive sign that he referenced what the manager wanted or had been saying several times in that interview. It may of course mean nothing and he could still leave, but at least it indicates that he's engaged and on-board right now.

20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Big Ange has already admitted Christie is exactly his type of player. However Im pretty sure Christie is after a move to the EPL and thats main reason we are seeing good form from him now. The fact he's turning it now because he's looking for a move tells you a lot about the guys character. :38: