1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RYAN Christie is delighted to have signed a new three-year deal with Celtic and he is aiming to build on the impact he has made in the Hoops recently. The 23-year-old midfielder put pen to paper on the new contract at Celtic Park today (Monday) before joining up with the Scotland squad for the upcoming international Nations League double-header.

Christie’s new agreement comes amidst his best form in the Hoops, with a series of impressive performances in recent weeks.

The opportunity to illustrate his qualities was made possible following some injuries within the squad which opened a window of opportunity for Christie. He grabbed that chance in the recent League Cup semi-final against Hearts at Murrayfield, replacing Olivier Ntcham at half-time and producing a superb Man of the Match performance. He hasn’t looked back since.

Speaking exclusively to the official Celtic website, Christie said he's excited to continue playing his football at Celtic.

“I’m delighted,” he said. “Ever since I started to play a bit more in the team, I’ve been happy to make an impact. Celtic is the club I want to continue playing for. It’s such a big club in Scottish football and it’s a delight for me to sign and keep playing for Celtic.

“I’ve enjoyed my football ever since I’ve come to the club. The manager’s been brilliant with me and I’ve really enjoyed playing under him and working with all the staff. I have a really positive feeling right now and I’m enjoying my football at Celtic. There’s no reason why I’d want that to change and I’m delighted looking at what’s ahead.”

Christie replicated his impressive display in the League Cup semi-final against Hearts in the subsequent three games with more goals and assists. And he explained that he has taken confidence from his performances and the way Celtic fans have recognised them. His aim now is to become an integral part of Brendan Rodgers’ side.

“I’ve really enjoyed coming in and I’ve taken a lot of confidence from that,” said Christie. “It’s helping my game right now and I’m definitely looking to improve. I feel like there’s plenty more to come for me which is a good thing. Hopefully now I can kick on now and become a mainstay at Celtic.

“The fans have been brilliant. You’re always going to get that from Celtic fans. You put in a few good performances and the reception makes you feel like you’re on top of the world.”

Christie rounded off a whirlwind couple of weeks by assisting Odsonne Edouard for the winner in Celtic’s 2-1 UEFA Europa League win against RB Leipzig last week. He admitted that night has been one of the most exciting of his career so far and is hopeful that, by committing his future to Celtic, he can relive that elation in the near future.

“The game against Leipzig was the best atmosphere I’ve ever played in and this just tops off an amazing week for me,” he said. “It was such a great night for everybody. It was my first true taste of a European night in a Celtic strip here and I absolutely loved it. Hopefully there’s more to come and I’m really excited.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    good stuff.

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Well deserved. Wonder if we've got an option of 4 if we want..

Liking whoever is editing the thread title's updating us as well :50:

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It’s all good..

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Would have been dumped if it wasn’t for our injury crisis. Sometimes I feel we don’t give players a proper chance while others get game time while underperforming

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Showed in the last few games that he deserves his chance.

Brimming with confidence and still only 23 which I personally forget given he’s been about forever.

Crilly and Tommy25 like this.
  8. Keano88

Well deserved. Hes stepped up and made a difference in our two biggest games so far this season (Hearts semi and Leipzig).

If not for our injury crisis he would likely be leaving at the end of the season.

9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Been excellent in our recent resurgence, long may it continue with this lad.

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    he has good industry and a goal threat , if you look at Ntcham,Armstrong,Brown,McGregor,Christie all can get about the park well and put in a shift in that central area definitely a strong point of Rodgers midfields , Rogic with the added flair.

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Great engine and fast brain. Just needs to polish up but at the moment he ain’t far off. Perfect Armstrong replacement and I’m so happy to see one of our fans make it.

_DannyBhoy_, PaulM1888 and Tommy25 like this.
  12. joemc

Agree ,another we can build a team around knowing they wont be trying to jump ship at the first decent offer from england or otherwise ,gives us a chance to build stability and longer term ,win win .

Tommy25 and packybhoy like this.
  13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Only 23, thought he was a couple of years older.

14. Mr. Slippyfist

The bhoy's a pler.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ryan Christie might have been the only Celticfan who wanted to flee the country before the climax of the club’s historic Invincibles season

As Brendan Rodgers’ side turned up at the national stadium looking to make a little bit of history by going through the entire season unbeaten, Christie was looking for a ticket out rather than one in.

Having spent the latter stages of the season on a loan spell with Aberdeen, Christie was ineligible to play at Hampden in what would become an epic 90 minutes as Tom Rogic netted a dramatic last gasp winner as a bolt of lightning light up the Mount Florida skyline.

Christie, though, was sunning himself in a different kind of Florida.

“Not being able to play in the Scottish Cup final during my first loan spell was frustrating,” he admitted. “It was the last game of the season and it’s one that all players want to be involved in.

“That was unfortunate but I’d agreed when I signed the loan deal. You never really think about it and then the two teams meet in the final and you think, ‘Oh...’

“But it was a strange situation on the day.

“I actually went on holiday to Florida early - just to get away from the game. I had no clue about where I would be sitting, what suit I was meant to wear or anything. So I just thought, ‘I’m getting out of here’ and I went to the other side of the world.

I watched it on TV and it felt really strange as I didn’t know who to support and what was going on. But hopefully there are more finals to come and I will get the chances.”

Having signed a new three-year-contract with Rodgers’ side, Christie has every reason to be optimistic. Having emerged from what was a turbulent start to the season Celtic look to be showing a fresh pair of heels as they seek to raise the bar a little.

Christie has come to the fore in recent games – his performance against Leipzig in the Europa League last week was his best display in a Celtic shirt – and the 23-year-old is inevitably keen to leave his stamp on the club.

As the success of recent seasons is stamped visibly on the consciousness of the club’s support with celebrations posters encircling the stadium and last season’s open top bus parade caught forever in an iconic snapshot, Christie wants his own moment in the sun.

“In the short term, I just want to kick on and keep my place in starting XI,” he said. “I want to keep making an impact when I can.

“Long term, I want to have a proper impact on this club winning silverware. When you are growing up as a kid, that’s what you want to do.

“You dream about winning trophies and Celtic is an incredible club to do that at. There is the chance to win trophies every year and to be part of that would be very special.

“You see the photos around the stadium of winning teams and I want to make my mark. The boys have been incredible in the last few season, creating history. Personally, I want to help that and bring more trophies to the club. It’s a great period for the club and it’s exciting to be part of it.

“It is a little bit difficult when you are at another club and you see the success Celtic had. To be fair, I loved my time at Aberdeen so it wasn’t too bad looking on and feeling like I was missing out. I was enjoying my football a lot up there and that has helped me come back as a better player. But missing the finals definitely gives me the added boost to come back and play this time.”

If there was point when Christie’s patience at Celtic was tested, he could count on the advice of his Dad to talk him through it. Christie senior spent two seasons at the club in the late ‘80s but never made a first-team appearance for Celtic before he returned to the Highlands to make his name in Inverness.

My dad was freaking out [when I signed the new contract],” smiled Christie. “He’s only just stopped doing laps of the living room. He was very happy. He is a proud dad and he is a big Celtic fan too.

“I probably don’t know enough about my dad’s Celtic career. It’s quite strange the way our careers have followed the same path. I think he was a bit homesick and it was a very good Celtic squad and he couldn’t work his way into the team and he got a bit frustrated with it all. But he went back up north and had a great career.

“It makes him proud to see me doing well at Celtic. I’m so fortunate to have someone in my close family who knows the game and its pitfalls. I’m incredibly fortunate to have my dad by my side. He even helped me with this contract.

“He’s the first one I call after every game, good bad or indifferent. He will always tell it to me straight - which sometimes can be bad. There have been difficult times. At the start of the season when I wasn’t playing and couldn’t find my way into the team he still thought my chance would come. He kept telling me to make sure I was ready when that chance came.”

packybhoy likes this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Its like you knew this was to be announced .. :97:

17. Crilly

Delighted with this. Wonder what way the line up will shape up when ntcham and brown are back but hope we keep giving Christie game time. He's playing out of his skin for us. Ps just saw the tag there and he is the * spit of lee Evans hahaahaa

18. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

great news hes been superb since getting into the side and probably since he came back from aberdeen

2015 we signed thi boy i guess we all could be forgiven he was going to be paid off at the end of his last contract glad he buckled down and put on weight and made himself bigger you need to be physcially strong to play at celtic and he was lacking in that department

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Makes sense, would of even awful business to let him leave on a free, even without the purple patch.

20. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    For me hes one of the first on the team sheet just now, he does so much of the graft himself that he lets the other just play football.however he is fit enough to get himself forward and is composed enough to do damage, in a similar role to ,dare i say it, Scott Brown when he was at hibs.

Can we possibly have a succesor to one of celtics legends when he finally retires and gives his armband to Tierney.