1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney to miss England group ties

Discussion in 'World Football' started by regicfc, May 26, 2006.

Discuss Rooney to miss England group ties in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. regicfc

Wayne Rooney will definitely miss England's World Cup group stage games - after a scan revealed he cannot train for at least another three weeks.
    Rooney's club, Manchester United, confirmed the 20-year-old will require another scan on 14 June to determine when he can return to action.

If the striker's broken metatarsal is given the all-clear, he would have 10 days to get fit for a last-16 tie.

England have to decide by 9 June whether to replace Rooney in the squad.

He suffered the injury in a Premiership game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on 29 April.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson attempted to play down suggestions of a club versus country row over Rooney.

Rooney has been allowed by United to join up with the England party on Sunday for next week's friendlies, then fly to Germany with them on 5 June before flying back to Manchester for the next scan.

"The most damaging thing which has been said is that we do not want Wayne Rooney to go," Ferguson told MUTV.

"If there is one player I want to play in the World Cup, it is him. Wayne is a major player for our football club and I want him at the World Cup. I have told him that from day one."

Ferguson, who spoke to Eriksson on Friday morning, also said it was 'nonsense' to suggest United would sue England if Rooney suffered any further injury in Germany.

Eriksson added: "I am looking forward to Wayne joining up with the rest of the squad on Sunday.

"I spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson today and we had a really good conversation. Despite all the speculation, there has been a very positive dialogue with Manchester United all along.

"We are very grateful for the support that they have given Wayne and the England team. We are still hoping the second scan will show further improvement and that Wayne can play his part in the World Cup.

"The fact that he is flying out to Germany with us will give everyone a huge lift."

After playing Paraguay in Frankfurt on 10 June, England go on to face Trinidad & Tobago in Nuremberg on 15 June and Sweden in Cologne on 20 June.

If they top Group B, they will face a last 16 game in Stuttgart on 25 June and if they finish second, they will play in Munich on 24 June.