1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Drakhan, Apr 9, 2016.

Discuss Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Looks like Messi might be going back to Barcelona.
    If he does his figures will increase rapidly.

2. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Boring. If he leaves psg before his contracts over it’s cos he’s failed there in a worse league

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Unbelievable achievement from ronaldo. If messi continues to underperform this year in a team top of their league, with a great squad around him I don’t think there can be a debate about who is better. Especially as ronaldo is 3 years older and still performing. Messi maybe at his peak was better than ronaldo but for consistency and longevity at the top and around the different leagues ronaldo has done it everywhere

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Pish. PSG is a cesspit. A team of egos all thinking about their next move or their next pay cheque. A team expecting to walk the CL and gets humbled every time.

Barcelona are in shambles. If he goes back there and drags them back to glory he’s doing something better than he could ever do at PSG.

Stars in a squad doesn’t equate to team and individual success. Messi is only underperforming compared to the ridiculous numbers he set himself. He’s leading the league in assists. He was dragging them through some CL ties.

Ronaldo got the same stick at Juventus and he was still producing. He’s getting it this year too and he’s probably won * knows how many games himself for United. They’ve both set such ridiculous standards for themselves, people can’t wait for their decline.

It’s quite sad. They are polar opposites as people and footballers. Just enjoy them.

Northerner, Moore, Peej and 1 other person like this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ronaldo is a poor man’s Messi and has been since Messi made his debut. :)

The Phoenix likes this.
  6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye but messi retired first.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

7. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Still think messi slightly edges it, but messi has had it fairly comfortable all his career. Played at the same club for 99% of his career and when at his best, also played alongside some of the greatest players ever. Ronaldos went and tested himself in 3 of the top 5 leagues, whereas messi has stayed playing in la liga his whole career, which imo isn’t of the same standard as the epl , infact not even close really.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    They are both in my Top 100 Players Ever list without a shred of doubt.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I have enjoyed them continuously? We’ll never see the likes again. Messi is almost close to the all time scorer record ronaldo just set too which is unreal to think for both in the same era.

my point was, which you have just backed with your description of PSG. They’re a team expected to win the champions league but are out, due to no help from himself. This year ronaldo almost single handedly got a * united through. That was my point….

10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This is what’ll edge it for me. I think messi at his very peak was better than ronaldo 100%.
    But ronaldo over the course of his whole career has been better cos he’s reproduced his form in totally different styles of leagues. Italian, very known for defensive (not many goals historically) Spanish, lots of goals very technical. English, physical, fast and not much time on the ball amongst other things and like you said probably the best all round league in the world.

11. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    1- Messi
    2- Ronaldo

Greatest 2 of all time, hands down!
    Players that will win Balon Do'r over the next few years will be seen as world class and rightly so, but will be nowhere near peak Messi & Ronaldo level. Both are not from this Earth, and done it for YEARS.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Still rather have larsson.

Drakhan likes this.
  13. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    I always ask people this . Its the last ten minutes of a match . Your trailling one goal behind. You have the option of bringing on ronaldo or messi .who would you bring on ??? And guess the reply i always get ....Ronaldo .take from that what you will

Pacific Ocean Blue likes this.
  14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'd say Messi and there have been occasions in his career that he's been subbed on to save a match and he's done it.

What I will say though, is I've loved watching both play over the years.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

United have stars too. A group even more disconnected than PSG. Which feeds into my point.

I’m not buying 5 goals in 7 games being no help. The micro analysis with the pair of them is a waste of time and I really don’t get it.

16. PaddyJamieson

Messi is the better player in terms of unique talent. No better dribbler, passer or long-range shooter and his vision and close control are unparalleled. Combine all that and you have the best player in history.

But Ronaldo has something totally unique: Messi will not play at the top level until 37, Messi does not drag teams when the chips are down (I know he has a few times but his head often drops) and doesn't have Ronaldo's mentality. That is what makes Ronaldo what he is, and I absolutely * love it.

Still Messi though.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

Is anyone else starting to get bored of these two now?

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Shouldn’t really be bored by them.
    It will be a good while before someone comes along that looks like they could have been competition for Maradona’s title, let alone 2 at once like these.

19. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    I don't get this argument. It's not as if Messi hasn't terrorised England's best teams in the CL. Are you suggesting that Messi would have flopped in England the season he scored 70 goals?

Aye but you can only choose one to start

20. Northerner Ave Maria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    A bit. They're no longer the best in the world. Prime Vs Prime Messi was better.

Talking about who's better now is just pointless as they're both on the down.

I'd much rather we shifted the focus onto Mbappe, Lewandowski, and the rest that have genuine claims of being the best in the world right now. Seems we're stuck in the Messi/Ronaldo debate still.