1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Drakhan, Apr 9, 2016.

Discuss Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski beat McGrory's record in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I submit - we are obviously we are never going to agree on anything or see the other's viewpoint on this. You have your opinion and I have mine however, on most forums, the common courtesy when you happen to disagree with another poster on something is to give your point of view and not just say "it's *". o_O

2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Arseholes in The Sun newspapers should do a bit of research.
    They're saying Ronaldo has scored more than 800 top flight goals.
    He hasnt.
    Some were friendlies and some were in the B and C teams so not First team matches.
    He has scored 776 TOP FLIGHT & INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVE GOALS you clowns.

Peej likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But surely if we take a professional from way back when, and plumped them in to today's game, we would expect them not to be on the * and half cut while playing?
    Giving these older guys a chance, you'd have to presume they would thus get access to all the benefits (and lotneyial disadvantages of there is any) of playing in the modern day. Better equipment and better fitness and diets leading to better athleticism.

Same if you put Ronaldo or Messi back 50-100 years, you'd have to expect that they would be kicking heavier balls and likely not to know half what they do about nutrition's, diets, 24 hour athlete etc etc...

I reckon guys like Ronaldo wouldn't have made it back in the "good old days", purely based on what we know about the times and what we know about Ronaldo today.

Ronaldo has openly admitted many times that he knows he isn't the most naturally gifted player, that he had to train hard and become a complete athlete and train his body to be at peak conditioning.
    That just wouldn't have happened if Ronaldo was around at the same time as the older guys we talk about now. The knowledge back then just wasn't there to allow someone like Ronaldo to over come his (self admitted) short comings.
    Messi, likely wouldn't be as good as he is now, although we do have examples of similar style players who do over come the dated equipment, our own jinky for one.

Messi is naturally a football talent, it's why Barcelona chased him and invested in him (although again, medically we can argue again he wouldn't have made the cut at all). And assuming that talent was always there, be it in the 2000s or the 1900s, Messi would have stood out (for many reasons). I would doubt, due to his medical condition though at those times, he would have done much.

But throw in the older names to these days, they get the benefits of the fitness and all that and a few of those guys would most certainly be better than they was back then.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The commentary team on Amazon the other night actually said he hit 800 and 801 competitive goals that night as it was happening. I’m totally not debating or denying your incredible stat holdings mate. How could something as “official” as the live commentary be allowed to get this wrong?

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I have been updating the figures every 2nd match.
    They would be correct if counting the B and C leagues at start of his career but that isnt Top flight competitive ( non friendly) stats as well as international (non friendly) matches.

honda likes this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That’s a totally different debate.

This was about putting players in different era’s and saying they’d struggle or thrive because of the pitches, kits and the balls.

The idea Ronaldo or Messi wouldn’t score as many as McGrory because the pitches aren’t as good and the strips are heavier in the winter is absurd.

Talking about Messi’s medical condition back then is about as irrelevant as saying he might have got killed in the war and not scored any goals back then.

This was purely about ability of current players playing in different conditions of the past.

7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Imagine puskas or someone of the likes from back then on the steds
    im not disagreeing your stats mate just wondering how the Amazon team got it so wrong

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

How do you work that one out? Did McGrory have feet made of stone or something? If wee 5'6 Jimmy McGrory could muster the power to rattle a leather ball, I'm sure 6'2, fitness freak Cristiano Ronaldo would cope just fine.

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They just included the league b and c matches.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    But the debate is assuming each of Ronaldo and Messi go in to the old era with all their modern knowledge and fitness etc, to over come the hevaier equipment.

Surely in turn, if we put the older guys in to the modern era, they must get the benefit of having that same knowledge and ability to be fitter etc?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Why would it if it’s about players from an era and how they’d cope with the game from a different era?

If the argument is that Messi and Ronaldo couldn’t cope 100 years ago because the strips were heavier in the winter and that the ball was heavier and the pitches muddier. Then why in the counter argument would suddenly players from 100 years ago simply be ‘aye but give them the modern stuff’.

If it’s simply comparing players then if we’re putting Ronaldo and Messi in to a game 100 years ago in their current state then it’s the same for a player from that era having to try cope in the modern game.

You canny just pick and choose.

To say Ronaldo or Messi wouldn’t score as many goals as McGrory did because the strips were heavier and the ball was heavier is quite frankly, nonsense. No matter how you chop it up.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Messi wouldn't have xavi so wouldn't score as much.

Ronaldo would still jump higher than the majority of the world so would still score as much. He doesn't rely on the team being built around him as much.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would take Ronaldo’s “not naturally gifted” line with a heavy punch of salt. Even in the context of elite footballers, he’s incredibly naturally gifted, it’s just that his biggest gift and the reason he’s stayed at the top for so long is largely down to his insane work rate. He’s basically just maximised every physical and technical advantage available to him, but he’s very much had outstanding potential in a lot of those areas from the outset.

Ronaldo and Messi are two stand out players in my lifetime. They’re both so good that not only does nobody really come close to them at their absolutely best, but nobody really comes close in terms of longevity either. Before Messi came on the scene, I think the vast majority of football fans wouldn’t believe it would be possible for someone to achieve the kind of things he has in terms of pure numbers, and that actually ignores a massive part of his game. Likewise for Ronaldo. You would assume based on his goal stats that he was a pure all-time-great penalty box poacher throughout his entire career and nothing else, whereas again it’s only one aspect of his game despite him arguably being the best ever at it.

I think people have gotten very used to the Messi/Ronaldo dynamic as a normal situation whereas it’s really anything but. Once they retire we’ll likely go back to a situation where there are dozens of players of a very similar world class level playing, but without anyone on the Ronaldo/Messi level or even particularly close to it.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    People focus on the physical development of players over the decades, but it’s not as if technical and mental ability hasn’t also massively improved.

Every player should be judged in the context of the era they played in, but realistically if you were to put Ronaldo or Messi in their prime into the game 70 years ago, they would basically be playing an entirely different sport.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  15. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Ronaldo is obviously very gifted otherwise every player that hits the gym a lot would be as good.

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    lol.

CydonianWaffle likes this.
  17. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

Ball would be harder and heavier so Ronaldo would be concussed 90% of the time...

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The way Lewandowski is playing i think he will overtake Ibrahimovic by end of this season or at least after 1st month of next season.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  19. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Insanity.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s mad Ibra has that many cos I swear when I check the scores he’s never scoring :84:

Drakhan likes this.