1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Riley McGree

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 18, 2017.

Discuss Riley McGree in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foley1888

I am normally one who is totally against loans but where there is a realistic buy option and your talking about a player like Jota or CCV who are talented but you don’t know if they will fulfil that potential it’s a smart move.

What I would say is if we loan someone like Hannes Wolf then I would want Jota and CCV signed permanently this month as you don’t want too many loans at one time. Also the Wolf deal would need to be similar to Jota with a realistic chance of signing him if things go well.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    greengrocer, Peej and Hammy89 like this.
  2. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Sounds like a * cowboy name anyway * him.

MickeyyMack, elbhoydo and Skelleto like this.
  3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    For someone like Wolf i would be looking for an 18month loan deal but that's because I don't think we would have a realistic change of him signing permanently

4. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Sounds like Middlesbrough could be an absolute balls up for McGree. Hope he’s done his homework as it sounds like Middlesbrough are going for boom or bust this year as reports are coming out that they will fall foul of FFP rules if they don’t go up this year to claim the £100m windfall.

* could be playing in League 1 if he’s not careful :rofl:

5. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Loan deals are absolutely fine if they are used correctly, ie cover for a player you have coming back from injury, as a way to see how a player settles and fits into your system, with a view to a longer term deal ideally having an option to buy inserted, or as a stop gap if you already have a player in mind, or lined up, but know you can't get them until the next window.

The problem we've had with them over a number of years is they were just used as a way of kicking the can down the road, stop gaps with no planning ahead to what happens when they leave. That's not an inherent problem of loans, just with how our board used them.

Hammy89 and LectersLuncheon like this.
  6. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Can this thread not be locked. Feels like wasting time talking about a guy who chose money over everything else?

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Unless they absolutely blaze the rest of the season and pray for a drop off from the top sides, theyre not touching the epl.

Theres alot of football to be played obviously, but theyre sitting in 8th right now, and the top 3, Bournemouth, Blackburn and and west brom are an absolute shoe in to finish in the top 5.

So many ifs and buts.... And a * load of wishful thinking. Im quite certain now that McGreed is an a-star idiot.

As you said... He can collect his wage in league one lol

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    35 million pound losses due to covid but are willing to pay five million upfront and 20k a week * knows what Florian balogun loaned from arsenal is on aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    W
    I can’t see them going up automatically and at best through a play off system. If * goes wrong for him, he could be playing League 1 football instead of Champions League.

I’m sure he’ll feel an a-grade idiot if it pans out that way.

10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Apparently they are only paying 15% of Balogun’s wage.

I’m not sure how that happened, however they must be paying a huge loan fee for him. I know Huddersfield paid a loan fee of over £1m for Smith-Rowe a couple of seasons ago. That loan kept them in the Championship so I guess was well worth it.

11. GavCFC1

Close thread then

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  13. borobob

Fav Celtic Player:
    Juninho
    So just to clear up a few things.

We are an extremely well run club that operates well within ffp. Steve Gibson is very rich but plays by the rules.

Under Warnock we were mid table fodder. After Wilder has arrived we are a team transformed , we are currently unbeaten in 8 winning 7 of those , the form team in the league playing great football .
    We will comfortably make the play offs and are recruiting well. The * posted obove is either made up or ill informed. At the end of the season we will either be in the Prem or in a great position to push for it next year. Both situations are fine and both will be within ffp.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

The Australian did confirm that a move to sign midfielder McGree, who Postecoglou capped during his time as an international manager, had been unsuccessful. Celtic did hold talks about signing the player from Charlotte FC but the player now looks set to join Middlesbrough.

The Celtic boss said: “Riley McGree was someone we had an interest in because of my association with him and obviously I know the player very well.

“After initial discussions he’s decided to look elsewhere, which is fine.

“But we have not spoken to one other player except for the ones we’ve brought in.”

Big Shoes likes this.
  15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    35 million pound losses is not a well run club put things into perspective celtics losses due to covid was 9 million which was then offset by player sales
    And theirs only a couple points in the play off positions between 8or non clubs so how can you comfortably say you will be comfortably making the play offs

Pearse67* and craigtheceltic like this.
  16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    To me that say we will be keeping tight lipped from now on who comes in how it should be agents are snakes

Big Shoes and Skelleto like this.
  17. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    If you are well within FFP rules, then why were you mentioned in an EFL report into clubs on the edge of breaking FFP rules. Your January splash doesn’t bode well for you staying within the rules unless you go up.

Having a rich owner doesn’t absolve your club of financial responsibilities. It’s there to stop you going bust when your owner gets bored(not saying yours will).

Pearse67* and littlekennie like this.
  18. JamesM09

Leave it to those who are Japanese.

19. borobob

Fav Celtic Player:
    Juninho
    We have trimmed £85k a week off the wage bill since then.
    Income dropped to £19m from £55m that year due to covid.
    Player ins and outs and probably another sale will balance the books.

Steve Gibson is currently sue8ng Derby County fir ffp cheating he won't be falling foul of it .

20. Onefootwonder

Why would he be suing another club?

Doesn't seem much point suing Derby given they are in administration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.