1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Betis v Celtic Thursday 16th September 5:45 kick off Bt sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 11, 2021.

Discuss Real Betis v Celtic Thursday 16th September 5:45 kick off Bt sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We don't, or at least, we don't have a competent one. We also don't have a good medical team, analytics department, or a sports psychologist.

2. GreenLeanMean

Entertaining game. I didn't think there was much in it and we performed better than I thought we would. Yes goals we conceded were avoidable. They got a bit of luck with the ball dropping to their players after scrambles in our box. They put a way 1 more chance than us.

I don't see why we can't beat them at paradise especially when a few of our best return.

George Theodorou, jpb and Moore like this.
  3. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    The morning after! Before kick-off I was honestly thinking 3 - 0 to Betis, so to lose by one goal is an improvement on that;.

But, we were 2 - 0 up and scored 3 goals overall and never got a point.. Defence still looks really shaky.

Decent going forward, we had most of the ball and created a good few chances. It could have been a lot worse, I think most of us are disappointed that we threw away a 2 - 0 lead so easily.

Two 5 minutes periods in each half cost us 4 goals.

4. Maestro 08

That in itself is a worrying place to be.

johnboy19 and Moore like this.
  5. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Putting it down to no Kyogo, Abada or Calmac though! But yeah your right.. Everyone fully fit and settled into the team I think that doubt will be quashed

Maestro 08 likes this.
  6. Maestro 08

I'm with you on it. Wasn't expecting anything but a convincing defeat. Even with a fully fit team I have zero expectations of us winning away in Europe. Our standards have slipped so dramatically on that front.

Moore likes this.
  7. scootz

Highlight for me was BBJ’s commentary!

Clearly ‘neutral’

:56:

Slaw likes this.
  8. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Game management.

To me even more important than setting up the team. As soon as we go 2 up then a reaction is inevitable, we need to prepared for it.

I agree individual errors are the reason we lost the match last night, I want to see pragmatic game management though or we won't win the league.

George Theodorou and AussieGreek like this.
  9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agreed. You would think at 2-0 with this team line-up you would put your foot on the ball and consolidate seeing it was a score so early in the game. Slow the game down, get a breather and re-charge after the break and come at them again. I think Ange wanted to finish them off in the first half with another goal and break their spirit. However Betis have a great coach and a good team and they were not going to lie down, especially at home.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Looking back at the Betis game and the positives from it.

Juranovic is a great signing.We have not just got us a RB. We have a utility player also, who can play as a LB and in midfield as well. Great penalty also, no messing about with tricks like some forwards tend to do and stuff it up.

Ajeti has played two full games in a prime position and scored in both games. He has stepped up when needed and has redeemed himself as a worthy player to have in that position as a target man. Looks fitter, leaner and sharper. Good back-up for Kyogo and Giakoumakis when he is match fit.

Ralston had just come back from illness and put in a good shift and scored as well. Made some mistakes but kept his head up. Protected Jota from getting roughed up on the line. Takes personal pride in wearing the Hoops.

Jota has proved in this game that we clearly have a brave young talented winger capable of taking on seasoned defenders at both LW and RW and can give Ange options. We now can run opposition full backs ragged by throwing a succession of wingers at them in a game. Jota/Montgomery/Johnston on the left. Abada, Jota, Forrest, Johnston on the right.

Montgomery. I can not say enough about this lad, very impressed with his ball control and intelligence on and off the ball. Very good passer of the ball, especially inside when cutting in. He can play the length of the left side and gives Ange options as well.

I also like CCV, has shown enough at this point to inspire confidence and is a danger to teams in the box at corners. Was inches away from scoring against Betis with a powerful header.

Rogic now capable of playing a full 90 minutes in a hard game again.

Things are looking up.

Real Betis 4, Celtic 3. Anyone looking at that score would react in the same way - man that must have been a * of a game ! Celtic are * hot ! If they knew the team was not at full strength they would have been amazed- what can they do with their preferred first 11 if they can get such a result with a weakened squad ?

jpb, Double Dutch and AussieGreek like this.
  11. AussieGreek

If I was Real Betis, I’d be * at the prospect of having to travel to Celtic Park knowing that the opposition squad is likely to be much more strengthened

George Theodorou likes this.
  12. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

We or they could have possibly qualified by then in which case I doubt they'd care

AussieGreek likes this.
  13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Soro was lucky not to get sent off after he charged into the Betis player in the first half - totally irresponsible.

14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Is Starfelt on a 3,4 or 5 year contract ?

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Totally agree. Lack of mental strength after we score a goal, especially two goals . You can not afford to do this with good European teams because they will punish you.

All the College teams I have coached I have stressed a basic that all players must keep in mind. Each time they score a goal and line up for the kick off - the score is still 0-0, keep your focus, put that goal in your pocket and start again with the same intensity and mindset.

16. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Totally agree. Also I want to see players getting involved and taking responsibilty and not waiting for someone else to do it. Specifically, the charismatic players in the changing room need to be charismatic on the pitch also, especially when we are up against it.
    I want to see players clapping, urging each other, encouraging and rallying their team mates. I do not see that passion and support enough on the field at present on the pitch when we go behind. Players need to step up and be heard positively and lead by example - like Ralston.

17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange does not get intimidated by the opposition team. He sees it as a chance to see how well his team can compete and play 'their game' and take it to them aggressively rather than cower against good teams and park the bus.

He also did this in the past when he took the Australian national team job at short notice for the WC finals in Brazil with mostly part-time players. He went at Chile (3-1) and conceded late goals. He also took it to the Dutch (3-2) and conceded the third goal in the last 20 minutes. The Spain game allowed him to rest players and give other squad members a run. By that stage getting to the next round was not possible.

18. AussieGreek