1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Qatar World Cup - 2022

Discussion in 'World Football' started by StevieBhoooy!, Sep 28, 2022.

Discuss Qatar World Cup - 2022 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StevieBhoooy!

Denmark kits gone low-key supposedly in protest at Qatari human rights records….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63066393

As I always admit… I am a grade A cynic .. but I’d have thought that the best ways to protest woukd be the country NOT participating .. and the kit manufacturer (Hummel) NOT supplying kits for the event.

Instead… they have released ‘stealth’ colours with badges and branding barely visible as a kind of token protest..

ie. “ we are still participating (because there’s money to be made) but we have to appear to be ‘not happy’… so you won’t be able to tell which county is playing or who made our kits… but hopefully they will sell well… that’ll teach you… you Qataris you!”

As a special protest .. they’ve even released an all black ‘mourning’ kit to further emphasise their disgruntlement at having to participate in the event.

Absolutely NOTHING to do with marketing and money-making….

Can’t wait to see what the English token effort will be.

349D0A2F-1AB9-4CE8-BE5B-95A924B4C7FF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Artorias and seanm like this.
  2. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Fur * sake they are still wearing black for a dead queen .

3. JamesM09

Sounds like free publicity.

4. Keano88

Proud of Scotland and Ireland for boycotting it.

stew37, seanm and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  5. StevieBhoooy!

Showing the rest how to protest properly.

seanm and Keano88 like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Shirts been launched a week or so now as well and they've only JUST came out with this story of paying respect etc.
    The "community" for footy shirts online are being very cynical with their (Hummell) delayed release of their reasoning here.

Another thinking, that should Hummell really not want to be represented, but still want to provide the kit for Denmark, then they could have completely removed their brand logo from the shirts, instead of doing the red-out and black-out efforts. Black out shirts are the in fad for shirt designs the past few years and Denmark done an all red shirt as a nod to 92 last year as well - I have the shirt for that reason.

So yeah, all seems a little bit too much like they realised an opportunity for a PR story after the kits was launched (and got a mooted response).

seanm likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As for the World Cup itself, of course we are all disgusted by the conditions of the workers, the fact the games been moved to accommodate the blood money etc etc.

But I'll still be watching at the end of the day. Won't be the first nor the last major tournament that has had controversy attached to it.

seanm likes this.
  8. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Shakhtar Donetsk CEO Sergei Palkin has called on FIFA to ban Iran from the World Cup this winter and instead allow Ukraine to participate at the tournament.

seanm likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The least excited I've ever been for a World Cup.

10. seanm

11. seanm

Brilliant post. HH

12. DarOv

It's too late to call for it, they won't cancel it.
    I would like to see Iran crushed in a group with English-speaking countries. All of Iran's political rivals gathered in Group B at the World Cup.

13. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    True, USA, England and Wales is actually an interesting draw and a hefty beating by the US and England would be fun for their regime :celtman2:

The good thing about a winter tournament though is that I'll be distracted by winter sports so hopefully don't give in to my addiction :giggle1: Only thing that really interests me is how our Japanese Bhoys will do. But their manager seems to have absolutely no clue if he's dumb enough to leave Hatate out of the squad. But I won't complain as he, therefore, will be back rested and fitter for the rest of the season. We profit, Japan loses out.

14. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    * balloon, lol, aye give us the spot. Think you'll find they're from Asia, lol.

Mind you half the teams in the wc would be getting punted, lol, S.Arabia, USA, England, Wales and the list goes on if we're talking about contributing to wars, ffs.

15. StevieBhoooy!

The bottom line is… that NO world level sporting competition should be taking place in Qatar..

…. the death toll on poor SE Asian workers from the construction of stadiums is a stain that FIFA should be tarred with forever….

…. unfortunately there are ZERO genuine morals in football where the money bottom-line might be affected…

… rainbow laces and kneeling against racism.. that’s what we need… of course those empty token displays cost nothing but are easily seen.

I’ve never been so disgusted with a sport tbh… not one nation deciding to put principles above cash and publicity.. and refuse to compete.

FIFa scum

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ban USA, England and France and allow Russia, China and North Korea to take their place. :84:

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  17. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Embarrassing that it's in November in a complete nothing country where they go against FIFA (apparent) ethics.

I love the world cup but this is the first time in my life where I couldn't give a *.

18. StevieBhoooy!

Me too…. won’t be watching a single match. Goood time to knuckle down and earn some money myself instead of funding this corruption. Sadly we know the world will watch.

Wait for the ‘football for change’ Pish that the English and others will roll out to try and justify competing.

Creativecelt and Westlondonscot like this.
  19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    As soon as it was announced they had won it teams should have questioned it, said we won't take place. All it would have needed was a few big ones like England, Germany and France to kick up a fuss or even USA (as FIFA sees them as an expansion market) and they would have had to rethink. None of the players have stood up either.

Wee Baldy, StevieBhoooy! and Hammy89 like this.
  20. StevieBhoooy!

Because it would affect the income…

Norway are the only country that made public concerns about it… they still opted to compete in qualification… probably because the objections came from club level rather than national level… ie the ones who didn’t really have any financial interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...human-rights-stand-before-world-cup-qualifier