1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed changes to English football

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 11, 2020.

Discuss Proposed changes to English football in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Then the obvious choice is for UEFA to make the decision

I am actually surprised more club owners are not looking at it. 50k a week would not put players in the poor house and if they want big bucks then go play in Saudi, China, USA etc

I cant be the only person that thinks the wages being paid are absolute madness

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Everybody thinks it's madness but if UEFA make a wage cap that works in Europe only then you hit the big problem, China would take them. Or even worse for UEFA the bug clubs tell UEFA to go * themselves and make a league outside UEFA.

3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    If you look at the price sky are paying for TV rights then you probably could justify the mental wages.
    Why should club chairman and board members take in millions, ?
    I'd rather see the money going to the playing staff

4. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The money should be for more grass roots football, clubs to put on free transport to away games, more community programmes.. yes investors want their money but as with players it should be limited.

Fans and communities generate the cash whether at turnstiles, paying for tv subscriptions. Ticket prices could be reduced for a start..

Germany with the 50 plus one model for fan ownership is a great model and St Pauli are a great example of a club that put community first and players still have a good salary.

Football has changed so much since I started going to watch celtic in the early 70s. The players back then had a poor deal in negotiations but I think the pendulum has swung too far in their favour and a correction is long overdue.

The market will also find the going rate but it just surprises me that owners have not done more to put a salary cap in place.

5. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think the latter would be more likely. The draw of China, saudi etc is only financial but most players want european trophies etc..

I do think the bigger clubs will break away at some point. They want more control of the finances generated and it will only widen the gap that exists now.

Celtic will hold their own in any league we play in due to our phenomenal support. But getting an invite to that elite breakaway group will be almost impossible. Our stadium atmosphere and reputation are our best hope of squeezing in.

6. chiefo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik and McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
  7. chiefo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik and McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Don't know if this was asked in previous, but should this happen and that lot were to leave, would it be considered for Celtic to make their move? Take away the " elite " bringing Celtic in to replace them, ( somehow ), ya the huns be on our tails for a piece of that also. Powers that be and now a bank like JP driving this, could it finally happen?

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Always though the ‘elite’ would move and form their own NFL/NBA style league and basically kill European football in the long term.

Future generations just won’t be interested in local clubs when they’ve got a league like that to watch every week.

If a Super League actually happens we aren’t getting anywhere near it.