1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Aye your spot on mate, McGregor never a captain, it’s not an insult it’s just his personality, guy’s like big Aitken, Cesar, broony even to a lesser extent McManus and Lennon had that leadership, motivational quality that certain type of players need, another guy who was smashing player but didn’t have the personality to be a captain was Paul mcstay, Julien does seem to have that type of quality and as you say Howe will observe this very quickly

seanm and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  2. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I would be astounded if we are just beginning discussions with the Purches and Weatherstone. I would think and hope, that these negotiations are further down the line than just initial contact. And if we are just at that stage, then the board needs a boot up the *. Because they haven't learnt anything from the previous years where lack of preparation has backfired.

Doesn't make any sense, given that a large chunk of the clubs' income is dependent on getting season tickets sold.

3. SuperZidane

100% this. Their names have been all over the press for weeks. It can hardly be a surprise to them (or Bournemouth) that Howe wants them to come to Celtic. Surely - they were (understandably) waiting to see what happened in the playoffs. This week should be about seeing what's on offer from Bournemouth and us and making a decision.

4. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    When you say it's gonna happen Howe
    Well when exactly do you mean?
    See I've already waited too long
    And all my hope is gone

5. DonnyCelt

Today would be a good date to announce it.

seanm likes this.
  6. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    This is quite mindboggling (if true). As you say, it doesn´t make any sense whatsoever. You would think that the appointment would be more or less ready to announce, and that includes the backroom staff as well.

I wouldn´t be surprised if this hinges on John Kennedy, who is completely out of his depth. If indeed it does, why go after any high profile manager at all in the first place (who would always want his trusted people onboard)?

And all of this on the back of a car crash season, totally unbelievable.

seanm and SuperZidane like this.
  7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    We maybe need to the deals with the coaching staff officially now. Bit like the rat and Leicester that deal was done weeks before it was official

seanm likes this.
  8. jambo_cfc

It will be friday i wreckon , dont know why i think that but will be done to give us a buzz for the bank holiday weekend

joemc and seanm like this.
  9. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If the do th H video idea I wonder will it show compston going through mugshots of Richard Hughes then Fergal Harkin ultimately finishing with Howe they all have H so it would be cool

10. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

I don’t believe that anybody feels the way I do, about you Howe.

11. SteveyNico67

Lille win the French title, Inter win Serie A, athletico win La Liga, Sporting win the Portuguese title, them winning in Scotland. The bat * covid season is complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Bhoy and seanm like this.
  12. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's not going to be announced today either is it :31:

Sgt Neppers* and seanm like this.
  13. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Aye but they’ve got to market it as if it’s fresh news or it won’t get the clicks :39:

seanm likes this.
  14. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    What podcast was that mate?

seanm likes this.
  15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Triffic interview with 'Arry about Hughes and Howe

Link removed by staff. No links to the Daily Record allowed.

Eddie Howe and the Richard Hughes dynamic that will see Celtic land man who ‘knows everyone in football’

Harry Redknapp reckons the incoming Parkhead duo have picked a great time to rock up in Glasgow and heaped praise on expected DoF Hughes.

Harry Redknapp insists Celtic’s managerial dream team of Eddie Howe and Richard Hughes couldn’t have picked a better time to lead a revolution.
    The former Portsmouth boss believes the duo are ideal for the crisis management required at a club which has just lost its grip on their Old Firm top dog status in Glasgow by going global in a rebuild geared at reclaiming the title from Rangers next season.
    Record Sport’s exclusive that Howe should be in place by the end of the week won’t have come a minute too soon for Hoops fans after a catastrophic and trophyless campaign.

“Richard’s knowledge of players is excellent, not just in Britain but across the world. He speaks fluent Italian, he’s a great lad and he’s going to be very important to Eddie as he looks to bring success to Celtic and in the work which needs to be done.

“At Celtic they are going to be working at one of the biggest clubs in the world so it’s a great opportunity for them.
    “With Steven Gerrard doing such a great job at Rangers, it may sound daft but it’s not a bad time to take over at Celtic so Eddie and Richard could be going to Glasgow at the perfect time.

“It’s not as though they are going to the club at a time when they’ve just won nine titles and are going for a tenth.
    “They will be going in there on the back of a very poor season and the only way now is back up again.

“I have no doubt they will rise to the challenge, Richard is like Eddie in that it’s just football, football, football with them. There’s nothing much other than family and football and then walking the dog.
    “Eddie relies on him with the recruitment and it’s that bond and trust they have in one another which is so important. Richard’s an interesting character, he has a cosmopolitan side to him and if you talk to him about any player from any part of the world, he seems to know almost everyone.
    “He will give you chapter and verse on players I don’t know well. It’s that depth of knowledge and study which he puts into recruitment which makes him so valuable.
    “He would be the perfect man at the perfect time for Celtic given the overhaul which will need to start this summer with so many players leaving and the rebuild which is about to take place.
    “From the moment Eddie met with Celtic owner Dermot Desmond six weeks ago, the work will have been non-stop with regard to looking at next season and players who can do a job.

“Richard’s ability to bring in boys who are free agents or out of contract, he can look outside the box and I’ve no doubt he’d deliver the players Celtic need.”
    Former Scotland cap Hughes is currently technical director at the Cherries and his successes and failures in the transfer market are mixed with the likes of Newcastle’s Callum Wilson and Everton’s Joshua King both part of his recruitment resume as is Nathan Ake who landed the club £41m after his move to Manchester City.
    Redknapp expects Cherries coaches Stephen Purches and Simon Weatherstone to also head north from the Vitality Stadium as part of a revamped backroom team at Celtic and he’s convinced trust will become the byword at their Lennoxtown base.
    He said: “Never underestimate the bond within a coaching team, Richard and Eddie are such great pals and Richard is a massive Celtic man and if he comes then he’ll be a huge part of Eddie’s team and plans for what lies ahead.

“Eddie will know that Richard has his back and there may be one or two others coming in from Bournemouth as Eddie will definitely want to surround himself with people that he knows inside out.
    “It’s a big job but it would also be a great job for him. People talk to me about taking a job like Celtic or taking a job in the English Premier League but it’s not like Eddie or Richard are going to get a top six club to work with.”
    The 74-year-old also admits anyone who’s looking to see Howe or Hughes swanning down Buchanan Street will be left disappointed.
    “Eddie’s not one for going out, he’s not a drinker and you won’t see him out and about in the city, he’ll be doing his work at the football club all day and then it’ll be back to the family and walking his dog.
    “I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen him in a restaurant in Bournemouth and it’s only a small town.

“He’s just a steady Eddie. Richard is similar in the fact he keeps his profile low and just gets on with the football.
    “I hope it works out for them both and it’s going to be some test for them.
    “When I heard Jamie O’Hara say on talkSPORT that Bournemouth are bigger than the Old Firm I thought he must have been drunk. It was total nonsense, Celtic and Rangers are much bigger clubs and Eddie could be in for a shock as he’s not worked at a club anywhere near the size of the one one which awaits him in Glasgow

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2021
  16. DonnyCelt

Great read. This Hughes fella seems to have so good contacts.

Rydo1888* and thailandceltic like this.
  17. Sgt Neppers*

Head coach Howe
    Head Scout Hughes
    DoF Harkin

Announce please.

Rydo1888*, thailandceltic and AdamRS like this.
  18. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Probably should announce it today. Emails going out to season ticket holders with regards to how "added value" conditions were met and therefore nothing in the way of refunds or other solutions will be forthcoming.

Added Value= Delivering the worst season since Mowbray.

19. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

My manager :54:

AdamRS and Twisty like this.
  20. StevieBhoooy!

Motherwell giving free renewals...

.... nobody expects that level of generosity ... but you’d think that home European qualifiers would be thrown in... a discount, store vouchers ..., something..

... especially when it’s still unclear how many will be allowed in once matches resume.

AdamRS and Sgt Neppers* like this.