1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    What the he'll has happened with the supposed restructuring?

Thought we were getting a DOF...

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I would guess we will see a dof announced early next week. Another lull and Howe somewhat after

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

3. StevieBhoooy!

It just the cynic in me...

..., but I seriously think the only waiting/delaying Howe is doing... is to see which EPL clubs come calling when the Merry-go-round gets into second gear...

In fact... I’m pretty suspicious that even IF he signs , the moment we have any measurable progress/success, he will do a BR and head back south. Those clubs wouldn’t bat an eyelid at buying out a contract and our board would be only too willing to take the compo.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I do agree with this, but the same could be said for literally any manager. If an EPL club comes calling they won’t look back.

5. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Howe said he’s only going into management if a job is exciting, i can’t see any excitement at a relegation battle in England at a small club. Compared to managing a big club thats been dire in Europe for a decade and could easily be improved and if he does well, will be a shout for a top 6 club down south.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hot air by the sounds of it now, something most of us have been very wary about all along.

Simply appointing Howe and letting him bring in 3 or 4 of his own staff will not cut it for me.

I want fundamental changes in how we operate as a football club. The restructure and DoF was never once mentioned by the club, it's always been fan speculation and paper talk.
    I just hope it has some truth behind it though, otherwise the board can get to absolute * if they think a simple "give them a manager to shut them up, we will get compo for him anyway" signing will cut it.
    We would just be geared up for the same * yet again once Howe left us.

Assuming it is still Howe.

bhoy81 and The Phoenix like this.
  7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Stephen McGowan was on a podcast with Spiers this week he asked him about Howe waiting for a club down south. He said this

No, I don’t believe that. That’s not my information at all. I know somebody who is in the Eddie Howe camp who is quite emphatic on that point. He’s done the lower reaches of English football for a number of years.

“If you remember when Gordon Strachan joined Celtic, he said he wanted to do something different. Celtic don’t choose these managers, they choose Celtic.

With Eddie Howe, the information appears to be he doesn’t particularly fancy the Crystal Palace situation. Listen, if they offer him £4m a year, I’m sure he would quickly grow accustomed to the idea, but I think he quite fancies the possibility of having a crack at Europe, challenging for titles, challenging for trophies.

“When you say to people in the Eddie Howe camp he’s waiting for Palace, Brighton or Newcastle – they couldn’t be more emphatic that no, that’s not the case.

Gioventu and The Phoenix like this.
  8. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    In fairness to Howe, from what I've listened to, from Howe himself about his coaching and his ambitions, this doesn't surprise me.

In fact, it's why I admire him and would welcome him as manager. I think he genuinely wants to experience winning trophies, playing in Europe and trying to build something special.

I think he's got the drive, ambition and dedication to be very successful.

JML67, Gioventu and Peej like this.
  9. CountyDownFaithful

I’d be surprised if it’s not Howe at this stage.

Whether they’ll admit or not, the board know they have let the club and supporters down massively this year. Backing Lennon when it was evident he was the wrong man to turn it around and creating a siege mentality against the club’s own supporters.

The response has to be monumental now. Much bigger than the response after losing in the SC semi to them in 2016. The next manager needs at least £30/35m to spend to in the summer. The club can’t afford to get it wrong because one wrong move and we will relentlessly hunt them out.

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    If Ross had the managerial record he's got in a place like Austria, Switzerland, Portugal or even Belgium Celtic fans would be happy to have him. He couldn't have done much better with any of the 4 teams he's managed. Being overlooked because he's Scottish imo.

eddiemcd1888 and AdamRS like this.
  11. SteveyNico67

Full agreement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Dude

That is nonsense.

Few Celtic supporters would be pleased if the club were to appoint a manager who had only won a second-tier title in those countries.

There are four more successful managers in the Scottish Premiership alone. Should we consider Davidson, Hughes, and Wright, too? Or perhaps our last manager?

13. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Jack Ross is absolutely *, did a pathetic job at Sunderland.

The Dude likes this.
  14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He didn't. Sunderland have been a basket case of a club since they were last relegated from the PL. He got them to the play-offs and were in a play-off position the next season when he was sacked. No other manager has done better than him before or since while they've been in league 1. I have in-laws who are big Sunderland fans who don't think he should have been sacked.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This is nonsense. Hughes has been around and had an up and down record. Davidson's just started out - he's doing well but doesn't have the record over a number of years at different clubs that Ross has and Wright has had some limited success but not as good a record as Ross. Ross won 10 games in a row with Alloa - a club record. He went to St Mirren when they were 6 points adrift and they finished 7th and won the league by 12 points the next year. Did reasonably well at Sunderland and now has Hibs in 3rd - their best finish for about 17 years and in a cup final. He's actually performed above expectations at every club except Sunderland and even there he did quite well.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    He absolutely did, he had the 2nd best squad at his disposal, more funds and wage budget than every other team in that league 1 season yet he played consistently boring football and even then when they where in the driving seat with 5 games to go he bottled it (along with the players), he then * it in the final and got sacked because he continued to play * chronic boring football going out and drawing games rather than looking to win. Yes Sunderland are a basket case club but they had the 2nd best squad of players and he used them like they where the worst. Its Hard to do better than him when its been 1 and a half seasons but they finished 4th this season, Jack Ross lead them to 5th...

And I have family mates who support Sunderland and also watched an awful lot of their games and he absolutely deserved to be sacked, boring * football and * the bed. And * me he is so so so so sooooo boring to listen to.

17. Lewis Kerr

I think Howe will want to "start" with all of his team and that includes announcing everyone together.

If you're Howe and you've agreed to take 10+ coaches and members of staff from your old club, out of etiquette and the respect he has for Bournemouth, it makes sense that HE is waiting until their season is done before making any announcements.

I don't think Bournemouth getting promoted impacts the deal or any incoming coaches at all, it is simply to avoid distractions for their promotion.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Eddie Howe or Bournemouth are not and never will be bigger than Celtic. I can understand if we were to take the coaches from them it could impact their playoff campaign but making an announcement will make no difference if the coaches are coming here then they and both clubs will already know it

19. Sgt Neppers*

If you told me at the beginning of the 10iar season, that the highlight and pivotal point of the season would be Brentford beating Bournemouth, I'd have called you a delusional idiot.
    What a season. What an utter *. All of our own doing.

I hope that the people in charge have a masterplan and throw everything they have at the new set up and coaching team. Another season of this, would set us back years.

Get it sorted Celtic. Now.

20. Lewis Kerr

What did you get from my post that Bournemouth or Howe are bigger than Celtic, of course that isn't true. I'm just trying to look at it from Howe's point of view, looking into the guy a bit more he seems very much like he'd want to announce everyone together and respect Bournemouth's final few fixtures.

As long as he's already doing work in the background and familiarising himself with the club and what needs to be done, I don't mind it. It's frustrating for us as fans but if it is a done deal and everyone's agreed to come but Howe's delaying the announcement for the reasons above - I'm ok with it.

Obviously this is all just speculation, I'm just hoping this is the case and we're not * about still.