1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not even remotely similar.

Rafa is clubless after leaving China. The direct equivalent would be us signing Marek Hamsik - who’s signing for Gothenburg...

Breathnach67 and Hammy89 like this.
  2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He would be the pick of the bunch for me

seanm and littlekennie like this.
  3. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    A fair point. City have the most expensively assembled youth side.

This guy could turn out to be another Guardiola, but it's a huge risk. I'd definitely take the risk instead of having some jobber like Mick McCarthy or Roy Keane but I'd rather Howe.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hamsik is 33 and this is likely his last contract.
    No idea how he has fared in China, but I would assume that since none of the middle European clubs are taking a punt, then he's probably lost a bit of something.

Rafa is simply way out of our league.
    I felt after Rodgers we could have pushed for him, after riding the highs, but we are a basketcase of a club with next to zero modern day respect in Europe. Guys like Rafa, simply, won't come to us.

seanm likes this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

As I said, the direct comparison for Rafa is Hamsik. Experienced big name, went to China and left. If the manager/player comparison is something you want to do.

Everything else in your post is opinion, what is a fact though is going for someone like Benitez isn’t the equivalent of trying to sign Haaland, Neymar, DeBruyne or Kane. In fact the suggestion is ludicrous.

Hammy89 likes this.
  6. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Appoint demba ba as manager, no one will get under Gerrard skin more, the announcement can just be the slip video on a loop

7. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Wait!! McInnes has left ABERDEEN?

Dont even think about it boys... Please no.

seanm likes this.
  8. saltire78

Signing an up and coming coach is probably the best plan we can have for the longer term plan but, a bit like Derek Rae said to Aberdeen fans asking him on twitter about Germany and their coaching style, it would involve a change of ethos and structure that may be a difficult sell for our fans.

We'd need the new guy McKay to stake his future/reputation on it and stick with it - ballsy first move if he does.

We'd need to be sure we have the vision and objectives clearly mapped out, and align everything to it - we don't have good history on this, but now that the 9/10IAR are gone it's the perfect time.

We'd need patience - this is the killer. Facing that we may get a bit worse before we get better would be damned difficult sell to a success laden support, faced with the scum's gloating.

Personally, if it took a couple of years of scrapping and potentially not getting 2nd to finally turn us into a proper European team, who play in Scotland rather than a Scottish team, who get some matches in Europe, I'd go for it if they were honest and said do upfront. I'd even throw a few quid into shares to help it if they offered the chance. I just have my doubts, and think we'll try to steal the pot again...

9. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    For Klopp and Poch maybe, but got Benitez and Mourinho I certainly wouldn’t make that comparison nor would I say it’s beyond us to get a manager of that ilk given their present situations. Jose might be a bit of a tall order but Benitez should definitely be approached.

10. Bonobhoy

Low would be a great signing imo...just a shame it wont happen,even if it was in the works,its too late into the season

seanm likes this.
  11. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Unless Germany bomb like they did in the WC...but in that case it would signify his jig as a sought after manager is well and truly up lol.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Benitez says he couldn’t discuss last time as he was contracted at Newcastle, that to me suggests he would of been open for discussion

seanm likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Low hasn’t managed a football club for nearly 2 decades, I reckon he’ll seriously struggle to get any job at a good level never mind Celtic.

A massive gamble for anyone.

seanm and Hammy89 like this.
  14. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Aye. He’ll eventually end up managing another national side, imo - possibly Turkey, with all the Bundesliga connections there.

seanm and Hammy89 like this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Allegri in talks with Shakhtar Donetsk.

Crazy.

16. celtic warrior

I'd imagine, off topic here, if low was to go into domestic coaching... He'll be sought after.

Not by massive clubs like bayern, dortmund, Liverpool, barca, real Madrid etc... But more around the middle of those teams of those leagues

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    People are already talking about him getting the job now down here on Merseyside. They see him as the next manager after Klopp.

No * joke.

He is compared to Kenny at Liverpool and people see him as Liverpool’s second greatest all time player behind Kenny.

* around here are lapping up the zombies league title.

seanm likes this.
  18. celtic warrior

Dirty secret soviet money. It talks, it talks very well.

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Maresca is a risk with the exact same managerial experience as Slippy at youth/under 23 level... Ideally not looking for someone who has never managed a first team before...

An example being Artera who was assistant to Guardiola. Just because he’s worked with a top manager doesn’t necessarily mean that he has it all himself. Things don’t look to be happening at Arsenal at all just now.

Would Maresca be in that type of mould?

The Phoenix and Hammy89 like this.
  20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I would still have Lampard quite high up the shortlist aswell. Lampard and Diff team. What a pickle things like SportBible, Bet365, Footy Accumulators, BT Sport, Sky Sports etc would be in if Lampard got the job. These sites would have to * lick both Celtic and Rangers then :56: major cringe.