1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

Hypothetically, if the board sacked Lennon right now.

Then went about their business the same way they did to get Rodgers and got that type of manager in, there is zero doubt in my mind at all they'd have an immediate positive impact and change the trajectory of out season.

I wouldn't say it be a gamble to do that, of course what would be a gamble, is getting in another Lennon/Deila type e.g could see Lawwell wanting to try Jack Ross or some other undeserving penny pinching option manager who doesn't deserve to be here, yet.

Peej likes this.
  2. Big C

I really hope not!!! His record is rotten at best. I agree with the post regarding not wanting club greats to have the job because ultimately it always ends in tears.

3. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I’d hate Jack Ross for the fact that I still think he’s developing as a coach. He’s someone Celtic should be looking at in a couple of years, not now because I think it could go terribly wrong.

4. celtic warrior

Neither would I, seems harsh to say it myself but that type of appointment just screams Mowbray to me.

This thread is fun an all, trying to being fair and realistic in who we all think is attainable.

Sad reality is, board would have let Lennon fail then save our chances right now, to ensure 10iar happens.

For me personally, I can't understand it because if we do fail, there is no excuse, there is no hiding, there is no getting around it by board, any future AGM's would be blood baths of biblical proportions and fan attendance to the ground (eventually after this covid nonsense) will be at its worst in history.

The fact in such a short period of time our board have allowed the league to become this close is unforgivable, we should for the foreseeable have been untouchable, every single time with them, we collapse rather than build from a position of strength.

Lennon was fine to have the reigns to see out the season when Rodgers abandoned ship, but should never have been given the job yet the board thought he'd be a cow worth milking and went with the sentiment and love we have for Lennon as a disguise for taking the cheapest they could find.

If this ends in tears, the board are in serious trouble, i don't think even getting in someone like another Rodgers and going invincible, doing a quadruple winning all domestic and EL trophy would be enough to tempt fans to spend money, they will see their lovely black books turn horribly red.

5. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    You’re right, that is the reality and it is a sad one. It is interesting to discuss how certain managerial figures could change our fortunes this year but the truth is, even if we’re sitting 10 points behind Sevco going into the New Years game having played both games in hand, I still don’t don’t think Lawell would have the gumption or the bollocks to get rid of Lenny, but by that point it’d be much too late anyway.

6. The67Sound

Better the devil you know tbh. We'd want Mauricio Pochettino, we've more chance of ending up with Maurice Malpas

7. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Anyone suggesting Jack Ross needs binned..

8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    We should be aiming a lot higher than Jack Ross (and all the other usual suspects on the mediocre manager roundabout) and pay the money for another marquee signing like Rodgers. We deserve better!

9. Maestro 08

I cant see many top managers of the calibre the fans would be expecting going anywhere near the job right now. They'll have advisers telling them to avoid at all costs.

If things get so bad that they have no choice but to fire Lennon we will get a stop gap type until the end of the season. Kennedy will step up or we will bring in someone like Strachan. That's the reality.

10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    That’s unfair mate, he’s still raw but he’s a very young manager and has the makings of a top coach. But yea, he’s definitely nowhere near good enough for a job of this magnitude currently.

11. celtic warrior

I'd say the opposite, we should be able to still get the top managers, their advisors should be able to point to the "success" and reinvigorating effect coming here has had on Rodgers given his next role was with Leicester City

The bonkers choice of the likes like Poch won't come as they don't need a rebuild in rep, that type of guy would easily still get top offers.

If not for Chinese money we'd have maybe had a baw hair chance with Rafa.

We could attract a top level manager, thing is, we won't bother though, the board will end up taking a greener option (cheaper) and will end up Jack Ross, John Kennedy, Duff, Roy Keane etc... Or somehow make it worth it that we'd tempt Steve Clark away from Scotland gig.

Of all the options, as tough as the football might be to watch under him it's got to be a Clark type all day long.

Of the level the fans expect and know can be done, Howe's, Rafa, Stolbakken (however its * spelt), some young German master tactician, our board won't even bother with etc...

They won't see going down the Rodgers route as a worthwhile investment despite the record levels of profits they saw bringing such a name in, in the first place

12. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Nawwww......., honestly couldn't cope with that as an option. This is a mess created by a board that wanted to take the cheap option as usual.

13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Its Not really to be honest mate... he's done absolutely nothing to even warrant a mention in discussing who is getting the Celtic job. Even Hibs fans are questioning him after getting dumped out the cup by Hearts and some really poor performances of late. No manager in fairness is ever going to do much with Hibs but I've seen nothing to suggest hes capable of managing Celtic...

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's going to be Lenny until the end of the season, so better strap in.

15. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Larsson was offered a coaching role but said he was looking for a managers job hence the Southend talks then goes and takes a coaching role at Barca ovb were not good enough for him to come back and work for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Jack Ross is okay for developing players and getting your team to play good football but at Celtic need to win every game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Can't see Koeman and his coaching staff lasting much longer than this season if even that. Larsson could well be turfed out too if their season continues in it's current vein.

littlekennie likes this.
  18. ddub11

Barca aren doing to well at moment.....in fact their doing *.

19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Truth is there aren't any managers out there that someone in here could arguably say would be a good manager and would be attainable.
    Any good manager who is managing at the same level or just below us at the minute will be looking at the big leagues not spfl, so that limits us to a Diela or jack ross type of appointment.
    Can anyone offer any names from a league that is below spfl standard and at a club that is a level or 2 below us? Personally that would be just as risky, if not more risky than keeping Lenny.
    Anyone who thinks we can achieve a Rodgers level manager is in dream land and I say that as someone who hoped we would make a move for a benitez level manager after the 8 was done, I didn't believe he would come but I hoped we'd give it a go. A manager like that would bankrupt us within a year.

20. CountyDownFaithful

Disagree that Lennon is definitely here until the end of the season - I find that defeatist and something we cannot accept. Results will dictate his stay and as it stands he needs a run of wins for the pressure to ease. One win against Motherwell doesn’t change anything.

I don’t know enough about these managers to say they are good enough for the Celtic job but the likes of Dan Petrescu and Stale Solbakken have tactically outfoxed Lennon in Europe and regularly won domestic honours. We need to widen our search and not take our default position of Scottish/Irish/British manager that knows what Celtic is all about

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    Sgt Neppers*, Wee Baldy and Peej like this.