1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I might stand in the minority but i want steve clarke. Dont think he would leave the scotland post but he has a wealth of experience, creates a great team spirit and knows how to organise a football team. He speaks very well also.

Mickmac and The67Sound like this.
  2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Racist *. * that.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I’ll have that.

4. john2061

If we appoint a DOF then we won't get a high profile manager as most of these managers want full control on football matters .
    So looks like we will get a meh appointment .

5. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    So was O’Neill s teams before he came to Celtic

6. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    He won the lottery getting that Belgium job. Was a relative failure at Everton. Was relegated with Wigan (I won’t hear any nonsense about his FA Cup win, Tim Sherwood nearly won an FA Cup) and gained a promotion with Swansea. One could argue that so far he hasn’t really delivered with Belgium, in 2018 they had 6 of the best players in Europe in the best form of their lives in Hazard, Lukaku, Aldeweireld, Courtois and KDB with numerous extremely good players around that and he didn’t win the competition as will have been the expectation.

it’s a cult and I genuinely still fail to understand the love in people have with him.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    The fact that Stevie Clarke persists on thinking the 2 Ollie s mcburnie and Burke are strikers is enough for me not to want him

8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    When we can blow £13 million on Barkas, Ajeti and Bolingoli then we should not be scared off by a managers wage demands. Especially when the manager is a far more important figure at the club than any one player. If we penny pinch with this next appointment it will cost us on and off the field, many fans will not renew their season ticket if we were to appoint someone like Jack Ross.

The67Sound likes this.
  9. Belgian_lad

Totally, but this should be the type of manager we should be looking at. If you see Rose, Hutter, Glasner, Fischer all were training in either Austria or Switserland(one or two years ago) and all are now managing sites that are playing for European spots in Germany. Thats what we need a manager who is on the up in a smaller lg and can push us higher so he can move higher too.

10. Belgian_lad

Totally, if you want quality, you need to invest. The next manager should be a statement by the board. I would love Martinez to take the job, but will we spend so much? And would he want to come? Cause i think he sees himself in a higher position.

11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Steve Clarke is the man for the job & SHOULD have been the man we hired the day Brendan walked, he would have delivered the 10.

He'll outsmart Gerrard no problem & knows how to get the very best out his players on a budget, which we'll especially need coming out of this pandemic, I'm also confident he'll have us punching above our weight in Europe again as we did under Strachan.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    He wouldnt have to defend at celtic though. He got Killie into europe and he had to get wins to get them there.
    I dont buy that a team who are well organised and hard to break down are “defensive”.

joemc likes this.
  13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Adi Hutter is out of our reach as well. Doing a phenomenal job at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Someone worth asking the question to, albeit I'd be surprised if he took the job, is the Union Berlin manager, Urs Fischer. Won two league titles at Basel and a league and cup double in his final season there. Got Union Berlin promoted (for the first time in their history I think) and they're now in 7th, only 3 points off a European spot.

Valhalla and The67Sound like this.
  14. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He's not the box office appointment many Celtic fans would want but he has qualities that could allow him to be a very successful manager at Celtic. You're right, his ability to make a team very difficult to beat would improve our chances of Champions League football. Apart from some decent displays under Strachan, defensively we have been poor since the days of Martin O'Neil.

G_portillo and RogicHasMagicToes like this.
  15. Craiglang Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    We currently have too many players who believe it is up to them whether or not they decide to play for Celtic

we need a manager who will decide which players play for Celtic

SteveyNico67, Dalbeth3 and FranceCelt like this.
  16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Oh I totally agree. Rose was my pick on here before he went to Germany and Lenny was appointed. But once they are there, unless they get sacked and are out a job, we are not tempting them over here.

Belgian_lad likes this.
  17. DonnyCelt

Howe, Lampard, Clarke and Petrescu on the shortlist is what I've been told.

No idea how true it is mind.

18. Goggzy60

Dan Petrescu is a weird one only joined a club like a month or 2 ago.

G_portillo likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

So just names linked on the bookie betting sites.:84:

Hammy89 and thailandceltic like this.
  20. Belgian_lad

I watch all his games, obviously as a Belgian with this generation. What he did was even get those lads up for it in games that mean pretty much nothing. Still has them firing and hungry. And with stars that can be a problem. There are problems between certainly players(Courtois and KDB) that he managed to squash and it never became an item on the pitch. He made Hazard play out right(Hazard sees himself more as a 10) so that KDB can play optimal in CM. I can go on.

Believe me when he signed we were dreaming about Van Gaal amd other big names. I was extremely disappointed when he signed. Euro 16 was a let. Down. But 2018, he let us play pretty much best football, we lost against the only more talented team, France and ended up 3rd. He kept us number 1 on the world ranking(which only counts if u are first lol) for years. He is now doing a goos rebuilding job, specially defensivelly.

But i get your point. Maybe managing a national team suits him, being less on
    the pitch and seeing the players less.

Did he not chose Wigan above us?

Breathnach67 likes this.