1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible european league..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIM O'Brien, Nov 12, 2015.

Discuss Possible european league.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

If the league was played in midweek and took the place of the Champions League/Europa League then yeah I'd like to see us be part of it, as long our participation in the league gave us access to revenue streams that would allow us to be competitive. I am not interested in joining a European League just to be cannon fodder for teams like Barcelona.

If you're talking about us leaving the Scottish football and playing in a European League instead then the answer is no I don't want that.

Basically, it depends.

2. saltire78

In answer to some of the questions raised above:

18 team league. 3 teams each from the 6 countries mentioned.
    Everyone plays home and away once. Each team still plays in their domestic cup comps. Summer league.
    Bottom 2 teams (irrelevant of the countries involved) relegated and playoff with best team from their own countries domestic premier league over 2 legs for who represents their country the following year.

I'd back that structure. And it's not a complete abandonment of the domestic leagues either

3. Samurai Bhoy

Well if there were 3 Scottish teams you couldn't get relegated if you came 2nd as there would be at least one Scottish team ranked below you in the league.
    But I get your point. If, in the unlikely scenario, the 3 Scottish teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then the 3rd place team in the league gets relegated. I was just trying to suggest an option that keeps the same amount of teams from each country in the league every year.
    It would be tough to find an agreeable structure. Maybe the bottom ranked team from each country plays a play off with the domestic winners of that countries league?!
    Again, similar scenario, i know, but at least you get a chance to fight for your survival.

Some good suggestions there. I like the idea of still playing in ther own domestic cups.
    I was thinking of a similar relegation scenario myself, but what if the bottom teams always ended up being, say for example, a Danish team and a Scottish team every year? Then the winners of the Dutch, Belgian, Norwegain and Swedish leagues would never get a chance to get promoted.

I think if you want to keep the domestic leagues any way relevant, you'd need to guarantee the winner gets at least a play off chance to get promoted. I'd also suggest that the domestic winners (and maybe 2nd place too) get a EL spot, and/or the domestic cup winners.

The top 2 or 3 teams in the "North Atlantic League" or whatever you call it, gets automatic CL qualification with 2 or 3 teams entering CL qualifaction rounds at various stages. Then 2 or 3 EL spots for the best of the rest.

4. saltire78

To be honest, you've gotta leave the CL spot with the domestic leagues. I'd say if you were going to 'rob' a european spot from the domestic leagues it'd need to be a EL at best, if at all; since in my suggestion you'd still have access to the cup routes too. You can't have your cake, eat it, take someone else's and eat that too and then grab someone else's for later too... you'd need to petition uefa for the valor of the new league getting it's own european qualification spots, which in fairness shouldn't be too hard.

As for a promotion route for the domestic league? Yeah, hadn't really thought that one out. Probably need to have playoffs with bottom teams of each country at some stage to prevent staleness setting in. I'd need to give that sone thought

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015