1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible european league..

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TIM O'Brien, Nov 12, 2015.

Discuss Possible european league.. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. robbo1888

With TV revenue going through the roof in this scenario, I'm not convinced ticket prices would change much. Just look at ticket prices of major European clubs like Bayern and Barcelona.

Our cheapest season ticket is not only more expensive than their cheapest - there is a significant gap in price.

I'd love to see this happen. Not getting my hopes up though.

2. HunkyDorey

For * sake,don't show your ignorance,if I lived at those places I would be a multi millionaire...:bbpd:

3. Fatface

I agree. And on that basis I doubt we would be invited.

4. freitassen

Imagine such league happens. The maximum number possible of teams for a league to be workable is 24. More likely they would go to 20 but let's keep it to that.

At least the big 5 of England (Man utd and City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal). Plus Barcelona and Real Madrid. Atletico de Madrid, Sevilla and Valencia too. PSG and a second team from France, probably Lyon. Inter, Milan, Juventus and Roma. Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen. These are all ultra heavyweights that would be certain to be there. These are already 19 teams.

Then there are teams from hugely important countries who are not yet represented. One from Russia, one from Ukraine, one from Turkey, one between Porto and Benfica. 23 sides. There is one place left. Would we really be more likely to get it instead of Tottenham, Napoli, Marseille, Schalke 04, etc etc etc?

We would in no way take part in this. Actually I don't even know if we would be guaranteed in a second division of that European League.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

I only live 30 mins by car from Heathrow and could fly to all the away games.
    It would give me a very good reason to fork out for a season ticket.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  6. Bunk Moreland

Why not, Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham are Welsh but play in the English league

7. HunkyDorey

And Newport ...:50:

8. HunkyDorey

Exactly...

9. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Me its where the work is and getting up and down to see celtic is not cheap it was cheaper for me to fly to Norway than Glasgow.

10. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I live about 15 min drive to Heathrow and same as Drakhan it would allow me to see more of Celtic than i do now.

11. Millerntor

How much do you see of Celtic just now?

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Northern Euro league with scandanvian clubs and the Belgians & Dutch could work. Have a play off system for the teams in the domestics to qualify for the top combination league.

Celtic
    Rosenborg
    Molde
    Copenhagen
    Goteburg
    Malmo
    Ajax
    PSV
    Anderlecht
    Standard Liege

Even just those 10 would make a really competitive league, all very capable but similarly levelled teams.

13. HunkyDorey

There's thousands of Celtic fans in London ,I think that applies to most of them..

14. UsernameCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The foggy dew
    I would hate this I like winning the league every year

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

:56: aye me too

16. Fatface

Add Bruges and AIK Stockholm to that list and we're good to go !

17. Samurai Bhoy

I would love to see something like this happen. Like someone else said, you could add a few teams to it and make it a proper 18-20 team league, each team playing each other home and away. The top 3 teams from each of Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Holland and Belguim enter. That would be a very competitive league.

The stumbling blocks would be;
    1. Getting every team and FA to agree.
    2. The fact the Scandanavian teams play a summer league would mean the timing of the league might be an issue, can't be heading up to play a team in the Arctic circle in mid December.
    3. How would qualification for the CL and EL work?
    4. How would promotion and relegation work? Bottom ranked team from each country gets replaced by the top placed team from their own countries league? or what?

I know it's not going to happen but something like this is more realistic than us getting invited to join some European Elite Super League.

18. Roskopicachu

Summer League. Pre-season's filled with international friendlies anyway. Rather than play everyone twice, you play everyone once. Say eight teams to begin with.

That's your Summer pre-season setup and if you make the tickets cheap, it would maybe get more bums on seats.

You'd get a TV deal no bother, with the right teams.

Might not be every year, might be that clubs can opt out and aren't totally tied down to it.

There isn't a place in Europe for winning the league cup and that's the route in.

19. Norseman

There was a scandinavian league like this from 04-07 but it didn't get a tv deal to continue further, i know they are working to create something like the Royal league again, Åge Hareide is lobbying for it;

Just a league with the top 3 from Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Scotland would be a nice competitive league.

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Come second in the league and get kicked out the league for Aberdeen!? Bit backwards - but not sure how it would be done either.

Maybe each nations champion go in to a play off system with each other to take the place of 2 relegated teams. Could end up top heavy with Dutch teams though after a few years.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk