1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Player Suggestions

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by CheGuevara, Jul 19, 2021.

Discuss Player Suggestions in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hidey-holey

didnt maeda play at protugal couple of seasons back trhen got homesick? a big no for me.
    also buying young players straight from jleague is a big risk move. i prefer established star like kyogo or for the very least proven to be cabaple playing at europe (japanese players seems to like going to beligum and germany).

and theres ritsu doan situation: unwanted at psv, his previous club (loaned at) bielefeld cant afford him no more, 6-7mil asking price. (bit the same situation with itakura)

2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Kyogo is an anomaly. How he has been missed by other clubs is a mystery.

If you're looking at proven Japanese players, especially the ones in Belgium or Germany, it's too late for us. They're already out of our price range.

I don't understand your thinking of the young Japanese players will struggle to settle here but then say they settle elsewhere in Europe. If they can settle in other eyepiece countries, why wouldn't they settle in Scotland?

3. Foley1888

[QUOTE="hidey-holey, post: 6989072, member: 28992" theres ritsu doan situation: unwanted at psv, his previous club (loaned at) bielefeld cant afford him no more, 6-7mil asking price. (bit the same situation with itakura)[/QUOTE]

Maeda did play in Portugal on loan for a season back in 2019 scored 3 in 23 but then returned to J League where he had a similar scoring record that season. He seems to have matured and kicked on a bit as this season has been by far his most productive.

On Doan I read the same that Arminia Bielefeld wanted to sign him but couldn’t afford a £5m buy option. However does Doan not predominately play on the right where with Abada and Forrest we are quite strong. Even when Dembele comes back he looked promising preseason before getting crocked.

Takuma Asano was another Japanese player I felt we should have went for as he was available free after a good season at Partizan and a dispute over unpaid wages. However he signed for Bochum.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Bit concerned that we won't see another CB in.

Maestro 08 and Hammy89 like this.
  5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A bit? You should revise that.

It would fall into our policy of 'just doing enough'.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Looking about for guys that would suit us, stumbled on Charalampos Lykogiannis of Cagliari. Played at a decent level his full Career, has the Greek connection with Ange. 6 caps for Greece, plays at LB, Central Midfield and CB. With the way we play LB, a guy that’s comfortable across the middle of the pitch will help majorly.

He’s also 6’3 which will help majorly defensively at set pieces.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Looks a shout.

Contract is up next summer.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. Foley1888

For left back cheapish options worth a look would be:

Ali Adnan 27 year old free agent with Serie A experience good build and pace.

Fredrik Bjorkan, 22 soon to be 23 out of contract in 6 months, upcoming Norway international would be a very shrewed piece of business.

Liberto Cacace, 20 year old New Zealand international attacking full back, playing in Belgium and been getting good reviews, Juve tried to sign him for their U23 but he didn’t want to drop from Senior football.

Amadou Dante, 20 year old Stum Graz, talk Salzburg had a look at him recently based on last seasons performances. Good athletic player with potential to get even better.

Montari Kamaheni, 21 year old Ghanaian youth international playing in Israel (give Dudu a shout) plays with Ashdod who we signed Ambrose and Biton from. Looks very quick, solid 1 v 1 defender,
    Decent cross and comfortable dribbler.

Reo Hatate 23 year old, Japanese international with 12 caps and 4 goals who can also play centre midfield so comfortable on the ball. Played LWB for Japan Olympic Team. A very good footballer at a good age and apparently his deal is up in January. Interestingly is more predominantly right footed but comfortable on his left and very good at attacking the space between full back and Centre back.

I love the look of Gabriel Gudmundsson but feel like we might be priced out this summer of a move for him where as the guys above are all probably available for £2m or below.

RabS likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I noticed Postecoglou made a point of shaking hands and chatting quickly to the Japanese RB for AZ last night.

He looked good for the most part and kept pace with kyogo a few times.

Wouldn't be surprised if we keep tabs on him. Maybe he can play LB..I'm sure that's where he was when kyogo ran at him 2nd half funnily enough.

Liam Scales and Hammy89 like this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Only 21 but has four years left on his contract. I like the look of him though.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  11. Foley1888

To give us another option in midfield as a bit worried if Christie goes we will be light in there Njegos Petrovic from Red Star Belgrade.

He is a 22 year old box to box midfielder who has a good engine and is capable of carrying the ball up the park quickly as well as being a good passer on the ball. He was a key part of their hugely successful season last year.

He’s physically strong and is over 6ft tall and is decent in the tackle and at closing players down.

He seems ideally suited to the role we are currently using Turnbull for as the 8 who has to work both back and forward giving us another option there.

Apparently Red Star need to sell players to balance the books due to the pandemic and missing CL football on of their other good attacking midfielders is being linked with them, Mirko Ivanic. Given they have to sell Petrovic could be available for a relatively cheap fee £2.5-3m and could be a good fit with the midfielders we currently have, particularly if we lose Christie.

12. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Huns linked with Ivanic looking for 4 mil euros apparently, I'd rather get Lovric in,Christie has been a winger since the season start anyway, I think we're covered well enough in the midfield 3 and have youth there too in Henderson, Robertson etc

13. Foley1888

Not disagreeing with you on left wing being a priority but when you look at the midfield and how important it is to how we play I think we are one short at the moment.

My rationale is Soro has had an indifferent start to the season and only seems trusted to play the last 5 minutes of games. McCarthy is still getting up to speed and could come good allowing him to sit and McGregor to push on which gives us another option but that’s not guaranteed.

It is in the role Turnbull and Rogic are playing I feel we are short as if Christie is gone you are relying on Rogic who has never stayed fit for a full season and a relatively young Turnbull.

I also think Petrovic or indeed a Ali McCann would bring extra energy to the midfield which will be needed in tough away games.

Guys like Robertson are a long way off it for me and should be loaned out this season to get used to first team football, he wasn’t getting into Doncaster’s team the second half of last season.

Definitely agree it’s not the top priority but say Edouard and Christie both go, and we do sign Juranovic, Scales and a striker, I would like to see a left winger and box to box midfielder as well as another CB or LB (even on loan) depending on where Scales has been brought in to play.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    For the uninitiated.

Damnati and Lewis Kerr like this.
  15. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Since we signed McCarthy I don’t see it happening but really hope we get Ali McCann.

He’s outstanding and perfect for our midfield.

16. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Ryotaro Araki is definitely on our radar if Ange is still looking at the JLeague.

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Maeda looks insanely good

18. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Left winger and 19. He looks class. Probably end up in Germany.

19. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I think we're a attractive prospect for any player in that league.. if we want Araki, Antlers will probably sell for 3-4m.

Hammy89 likes this.
  20. Damnati

Looks great but Ange must know all about him. I'm sure he'd be here if it was felt he was needed. That said, I want him based on that video :56:

Edit - Just seen Ange's comments today. Hopefully this is exactly who he is talking about. Direct Christie replacement when he signs a pre-contract elsewhere?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021