1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Lennon didnt throw away any money. He may have spent money un wisely by buying the wrong players but i repeat WE MADE MORE MONEY SELLING LENNONS PLAYERS THAN HE EVER SPENT

2. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    If we had Ledley this season we would be top of the league even with these games in hand

3. JamesM09

People never take things like this into account either. He also tried to make Ledley stay for as long as possible, instead of forcing him out the door during the summer to pick up and extra couple of million.

I'm not saying I agree with everything he does. I think we have a bit of money stowed away, but it's reasonable. He's got to be looking a few years into the future. If Scottish football stabilises we can release some cash.

What if he'd paid for Tonev, Berget and Wakaso in the summer? Would Deila have been backed then and would we feel any better that we're down £6m on transfer fees and a few more on 3 years wages?

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It's also unfair to say Lenny threw money away when he had no idea that bringing in players from Germany, Netherlands and Portugal would backfire so badly.

They also weren't his first choices.

At the time it seemed like a step up to me, something we were all crying out for. Previous seasons we bought players from lower level England, Belgium, Israel etc.. this seemed like an exciting time.

How wrong we were.

How many did he actually sanction too?

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's not even the timing of them as much, it's the ambition and PL's coming out each window stronger, do you believe we have been?

6. Croogle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Of course we'd be romping the league right now if we kept our star players.

But Lawwell is content with being just that bit better than everyone else in the SPL.

We'll still win the league by a good bit, though.

7. Wicker Bhoy

He still threw away a nearly a whole budgets worth of money and left us with a seriously depleted strike force. The fact we sold players for good money does negate that fact.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly mate, he openly said pukki or example wasn't his first choice..

Our transfer dealings mirror are manager dealings funnily enough and guess who sanctions those :50:

9. Wicker Bhoy

They will have been watching Gordon since we signed him and believed him capable, as he has proven to be.

The lack of striker was a disaster yes but as I've said before that window I do blame Lawwell for, I just think that one bad window doesn't make him a bad CEO.

10. JamesM09

Our star players refuse to stay. What's he supposed to do?

11. Wicker Bhoy

Yes but it's also unfair to say Lawwell doesn't spend when we did up our ambition that window, bringing in players from better leagues and it backfired, wasting a lot of cash in the process.

12. Wicker Bhoy

Hooper was never signing another contract, he wanted a shot at the EPL and the England team. Ledley done to us what he done to Cardiff, except we bailed three months earlier and got some cash for him. Wanyama refused our last contract offer.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree but there was still a degree of luck that no one knew if Gordon would be sidelined just after lurch left as he hadn't played for 3 year..

It was catastrophic and yet hear we are again with a reported fee accepted in the window for guidetti over personal terms with 2 weeks to go for a massive second half of the season..

Wgs season to cripple and finish the huns well before they did, yet failed to spend and.bring in quality in the glory days of qualifying automatically for the champions league, we totally * ourselves again..

14. Wicker Bhoy

Not the last two summer windows no. But he did buy Griffiths because of our striker situation last January and Johanson, which made us stronger. Even this window on paper Guidetti and Scep should make us stronger, we just badly lack wingers.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We've always brought in more than we spend though.

I understand that is a requirement at our club and the sole reason we embarked on this venture to begin with, but at some point the board are going to have to ask themselves if going long term with Ronny is the right thing or should they back the manager short term to gain long term results.

You cant ask a manager to come in and become his predecessor just because you refuse to back him.

Ronny is a proud man, just like Lenny was. Do you think Lenny would have hung around if he was asked to mould Mowbrays team into his own albeit with a few loans flung in? Would he *.

That would be my one criticism of Ronny just now. He should have the balls to challenge the hierarchy and tell them to * put the heated swimming pool on hold and back him so he can win the league and plot the downfall of Inter.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ledley would have stayed for the same money he was on.

We weren't prepared to sanction it though.

Ledley leaving is the * one that infuriates me most. Wanyama and Hooper wanted to leave, Ledely would have stayed for the same wage.

As it was we gave him an inflated wage due to no transfer fee so when renewal came around we weren't prepared to give him the same deal.

Sickening.

17. Wicker Bhoy

We'll see how the Guidetti one plays out, I think lawwell is aware it is imperative we get him in, but if Guidetti is looking for £35k a week there's not much he can do - didn't Feynoord want him after his loan but they stalled on the personal terms as well?

The Fletcher window was bad yea but in fairness WGS has said since that he didn't think Fletcher was worth at the time what Hibs wanted for him. We should have won that season regardless, to this day I don't know how we didn't -the last two games were just shocking. I love WGS. probably my favourite Celtic manager that I've been alive for, but he should have won that league.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Sold hooper and got league 1 striker farmed out to hibs for under a mill, quite good business but totally uninspiring ..

I do agree about our width, we have tonnes in that department but only 1 who's good enough but is always injured and one who's converted from a striker. The rest are * ..
    We need an extra injection of pace in the attacking areas..

19. JamesM09

How do you know all this?

20. Wicker Bhoy

I agree that he has to back Ronny this window, precisely for the reasons you state, we can't expect him to work with a team that doesn't suit the job he was hired to do and Lawwell should have backed him from the start.

Lawwell needs to make amends for this summer now and next summer and give Ronny the funds to back his ambition, if he doesn't then I will think his time is up.