1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul McStay - The Maestro

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Marty McFly, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Paul McStay - The Maestro in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    An absolute hero of mine growing up. Had the number 8 on my centenary shorts and wore 'Paul McStay' shinnies at football. Was lucky enough and honoured to run out with the man himself as a mascot (that's me running off in my sig). Such a gentleman off the park too.

Also, I read somewhere that before he moved to Oz, someone met him once and asked why he wasn't around CP as much and he answered "you'll have to ask them that?" Any substance in that?

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Love the man..:shamrock:

3. georgiebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Mr Celtic

4. dan the man

Fav Celtic Player:
    jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    he lives in sydney now true celtic legend

5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Some player his volley against that mob in the centenary season was a * belter, just a shame he played with some absolute * dross when we were in turmoil, a true Celtic legend though :shamrock:

6. paulst14

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stan Petrov
    Superb player, could be doing with a McStay type player in today's today :shamrock:

7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I remember being at that game with that goal.

What a player.

8. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    My hero growing up. * loved mcstay

9. Mark1978

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Saw him for the first time in 1996 against Dunfermline if I remember correctly and the guy was immense, think it finished 4-2.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was too young for his golden years, caught the tail end of him here and I still thought he was quality but maybe my youthful football brain runs away from me..

A mixed day but my uncle took me over to the hospital when Paul was in London injured with him and his old man, was star struck but then a sorrow mood all around as the 3 of us at the hospital with him were the first to here he'd never play for Celtic again and that he'd have to retire..

11. harry5867

Fav Celtic Player:
    every one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the celtic song
    My mate James moving the maestro's belongings to the port.
    [​IMG]

12. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Just found out that he is the only player to have captained Scotland to an international trophy.

13. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Schoolboys at Wembley? In front of 80,000 too I think :50:

14. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Remember when we played Liverpool in the Hillsborough game at Celtic Park...... Me and the Mrs where in beside all the scousers and they starts talking about McStay....

Who teh * is that, this one shouts what a player. A fellow tim relies thats Paul McStay, the Maestro ......... The wee guy replies what a player that lad is, why have we not signed him? The Tim replies you could'nt afford him thats why.

15. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

Had the pleasure of his company whilst doing some landscaping on his house many years ago before he moved to Oz.

Absolute gentleman.

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think i remember watching it.
    Those games used to get shown a lot on tv around the early 80s which is when he won the trophy

18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56::56::56: Absolutely brilliant and so true.

It was disgraceful what happened to his cousing John after that orange * Ferguson headbutted him.
    At least the scumbag got jailed for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2016
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maestrosports/the-maestro-paul-mcstay-autobiography

CELTIC fans rarely refer to Paul McStay by his name. He was, is and always be The Maestro. It’s a nickname that acknowledges his extraordinary talent, and the affection with which it is still uttered is in appreciation of the fact that he dedicated his whole playing career to the green and white Hoops.
    Only one man has made more appearances for the club – and that is Cesar himself – and while contemporaries came and went from Celtic Park, Paul McStay remained, staying faithful to the club, particularly in the early 1990s when things were falling apart off the field. It’s something that the Celtic support has never forgotten.
    Now Paul McStay is set to tell the story of his life and extraordinary career for the first time in an autobiography which is due to be published later this year.
    And fans have a chance to be part of the process as the book has been launched as a Kickstarter project. This is where people are invited to back a project, with various rewards offered depending on the level of investment, and the money raised is used to fund and launch it.
    Speaking about the project, Paul McStay explained: “I had so many happy times at Celtic and the fans were part of that as well.
    “The story will tell about my life and my career There were a lot of highs and lows during my time at Celtic but, for me, there was no other place I was meant to be, and I’d just love the fans to engage with it and I’d love to get my story out to the fans who’ve been there for my throughout my career.
    “I thought it would be an interesting way to go about launching your autobiography; one, it gives you an idea of how many people might be interested in your book and whether you want to publish it, but also it gives you a way to personalise the whole publishing process, the whole story, by giving those who want to support the campaign various rewards such as signed books or t-shirts, and even putting up some items from my own career – such as a Celtic jersey or a Scotland cap.
    “So I just wanted to make it different, personalise it, and hopefully the fans who want to learn about my life, my career at Celtic and Scotland, will support the campaign and buy into the rewards.
    “There are various rewards, from signed copies of the book but also things from my life and my history to share with the fans, and I’ll keep them involved through the Kickstarter page how the book’s coming along, and any questions they’ve got they’ll be able to fire them off through that campaign page.
    “And the book will tell them things around my career that they don’t know yet – about my early life, living in Larkhall and coming through the grassroots football ranks and how I developed as a player and maybe it’ll be a good insight for coaches to give them an idea of what I did to help me achieve playing at the highest level.”

20. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    Looking forward to the book release