1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patience is a Virtue

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 13, 2013.

Discuss Patience is a Virtue in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Well mine ran out years ago with the guys in the board room, i would love it if our club was run by real celtic men who listened to the fans instead of just guys who think about revenue streams, blah, blah... Sometimes you have to take a chance in life and why not just now since we have about £45m in the bank of celtic. If we get into another CL yer talking another £20m easily on top of the £45m stuck in the vault.

2. Goal

I can't remember the last time Celtic took a risk.

I'm not taking this "we've signed players" as a justification for the sale of our spine. We've needed a target man (Balde), left winger (Boerrigter) and CB (Van Djik) for years upon years. We needed them when we had Wanyama, Hooper and Wilson. They ain't replacements.

3. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Correct mate:50:

4. wulliebad

If that happened we would be paying what ever clubs wanted for there players and our players would be leaving on a free cause all contracts would be run down due to us not getting 20 million for wanyama and 15 million for hooper.

Celtic fans are best left out of most club dealings and leave it to those that know.

5. wulliebad

Take all the duds we have signed in the last three years and add 1 million to the price of each player and where would our bank balance be then.
    Its ok saying * its just another million and that's great for the players that work out and we sell on for profit.

6. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Most club dealings, so thats why they get paid £££,,,, they milk us dry every year and promise the same crap every year.

EDIT; i find it difficult to 'trust' our board, or certain individuals in it...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  7. wulliebad

But is it the boards fault celtic do not have the money to meet the fans demands...????
    Who's fault is it we cant afford to splash 5/6/7 million on most signings or pay those players 20/30/40k per week.
    Or the fact we get under 3 million for winning the spl.
    Or some player walk right over us to the epl.
    In 2001 MON put the club into debt of around 20 million to try and get back to the top in Scotland and now 13 years later the club is just starting to come out of that mess.
    Some years Celtic make as little as 170k profit so its not like we get the windfall we have this year all the time.
    This club has made huge steps in the right direction in the last 5 years i for one don't want us to * it all up for the sake of a few stupid signing.
    I also don't remember Celtic promising anything to anyone.

8. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    We have £45m in the bank of celtic mate and on the brink of possibly another £20m plus, how much do you want in reserve?

9. pod

Exactly what is it that you think the fans are demanding? Why cant we spend £5m on a player? Do you really think we can't afford that? We cant afford to spend that on all the players we buy but we can afford one or two.

Also we already pay players more than £20k per week so we can afford that as well.

You are also claiming that we are going in the right direction. Do you find it acceptable that we seem just to buy players with a view to selling them again? I can understand doing that on occasion but it is not a smart move longer term as it will turn fans off. Neither will it be of any benefit to the quality of the team. Our goals should be to be successful in Europe, not to just win the SPL.

The other thing which worries me that has so far not been mentioned is what this is doing to the morale of the team. Players like Ledley and Sammy, eg, are not going to be too impressed if we keep selling our better players and it will eventually have a domino effect.

10. wulliebad

I would be happy with 50%.:icon_mrgreen:
    Its not like we are not spending...7 million so far and more player to come.
    We have to get this * CL deadline out our heads there is still weeks to go in this window.

11. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Was more like £30 million in all honesty and the Board wanted the PLC to loosen the restriction and allow them to borrow another £30m.

I know we are just starting to get on our feet, but surely a bit of debt now and again (so long as we have hope of recuperating that money later on) is ok?

Near enough every team in the EPL runs with a debt, I mean there are clubs that make less than us and yet spend more. And yes, they may have more easily disposable cash but I do believe we should be able to splash out £5 million every couple of years on a good, good player.

This is coming from a guy who trusts the board (financially) 100% and someone who believes they have done wonders for our club.

However I can empathise with the rest of the fans. Is it really that rewarding to shout 'we are the most fiscally secure club in Britain!!!' ?

Answer: No! :icon_mrgreen:

12. Roskopicachu

I don't think we should be held to ransom for any player and i don't think we need to fork out massive amounts of cash to bring in players who will enhance the team's performance on the park and help make profit off it.

You have to wonder what is going on and the club have a strict policy not to tell us.

Right now we seem to be bidding for Finnbogason. For me the price is good value, but Heereenven are playing a tough game and i would honestly walk away from it and go and sign some bargains.

Then again, it depends on how close we are to the actual valuation.

It is frustrating, but sometimes waiting until nearer the end of the window, you get a player cheaper.

Finn guarantees goals and that is what we need.

13. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Originally Posted by Goal [​IMG]
    Icelandic poster on another forum, who has been spot on in regards to the Finnbogason rumours, is saying that Celtic have refused to go higher than €2.5 million for Finnbogason..

My Patience left the building long ago but FFS if this is true we need new men in charge of Celtic.............

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    One point - nobody at this moment of time 'knows' what we have in the bank. It is pure speculation.

15. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    I think you can get a pretty good idea form last years accounts plus players out and CL money.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think a lot of people overestimate the 'general idea' though. We dunno how any deals are structured or our running costs this year etc.

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

These debates are * pointless.

We are "debating" pure speculation from Twitter and unreliable newspaper articles.

Nobody knows for sure if we have bid for this guy or not, or how much we will spend before the window closes.

Seems to me lots of people are getting irate at absolutely nothing.

I think I'll leave the shark jumping until the window closes.

18. Lanz

Not to mention the fact that no-one on here knows if we are genuinely trying to sign Alfred Finnbogason or not. Didn't stop 194 pages of madness being created though :smiley-laughing002:

19. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    Yeah that's true. I still think it would give you a rough idea what money we have available though.

20. JasonMcG1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    kieran tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    7mil from the sale of ki . Still got 40+ mil