1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patience is a Virtue

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Aug 13, 2013.

Discuss Patience is a Virtue in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    I'd much rather we waited until we qualify for the CL to secure some finances before we spent real money. That way we know we're not putting ourselves in financial danger and we can attract proper talent, not just relatively unproven youth. I'd rather wait for the right singing than get all exciting about our busy transfer dealings who turn out to be *.

And we've got enough to beat this Kazakh mob. If we go out now its down to Lennon, not Lawwell.

2. pod

How much do you think we need given that we made approx £45m unexpected income over the last year?

3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    well you can get that idea out of your head right away.
    celtic won't be spending any ''real'' money soon.
    we've got to realise, the celtic philosophy is to buy cheap unknown raw talent, then with our excellent management team, bring them on and sell them at huge profits.
    f*ck what the fans want, a healthy bank balance is more important than a healthy team.
    over the last few years we've witnessed celtic become more of a business and less off a football club.
    profit is more important than progress...

we've become a footballing nursery for EPL clubs. :97:

4. AD1967

Fav Celtic Song:
    love a good walk on
    We don't need massive amounts of income given the profits from player sales and CL money last year. I wouldn't call it unexpected income either. Our board took the decision to expand our scouting network a few years ago, which would've cost some money to set up and maintain, and with that they would expect decent financial returns to fund it and the general running of the club.

But there's nothing wrong with waiting to see what your budget is before spending it. It would be unwise to do otherwise.

Maybe so, but what would you rather:

1) we act sensibly, not spending what we can't afford, if this means potentially lower quality on the pitch then that's something we need to find new ways around.

or

2) we spend money that we don't have, buying players we can't afford, dishing out wages that we can't maintain just to satisfy some fans that are throwing a wee huff at the business side of football. Then a few years later everyone realises we've * up and we die.

5. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    This thread will be interesting if we fail to qualify.

6. TheHappyLoss

Given the apparent lack of effort to replace our best players prior to the CL qualifiers, if we go out I suspect many will tell them to stick their Europa League tickets up their *!

7. Higgie

Personally thought another few new faces would've been in by now considering we are guaranteed European football next season but I'm not worrying quite yet. Looks like the club is confident we'll qualify for the Champions League with the squad we have at hand and that our initiative is to then get to business hopefully attracting high valued players with the lure of Champions League football.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It is not a gamble because right now we have a squad that is better and should beat Karaganya. We have bought 2 centre backs, one who has had bad luck with injuries just now and was bought as a first choice centre back. What would you rather? We buy another first choice centre back?

Ambrose would have played anyway, no matter what. As he has in all our European games over the last year. If you think otherwise you haven't been paying attention to the way Neil Lennon works.

We won't replace Wanyama because we can't. A like for like player of Wanyama's ability is very hard to find, the best midfield we have fielded in Neil Lennon's time featured 4 players that are still at the club in Ledley, Kayal, Brown and Commons. We also have Charlie Mulgrew, Efe Ambrose and Tom Rogicto play in there. We are not short by any means of the word.

Without Hooper we are far weaker upfront but we have already brought in a £2m striker, we have our highest scorer in the Champions League last season in Georgios Samaras, we also have Anthony Stokes who is a fantastic goalscorer, along with Kris Commons who was right up there in our top scorers last season. We have lost our main man upfront but I trust in Neil Lennon in the man he has brought in and the replacement that he has in mind, who we will be trying to bring in right now. There is also Tony Watt who prove himself a handful in Europe last season.

He is a replacement, as he will be taking somebodies place in the sqaud. He is also a player that we have added to our first team.

We are weaker than we were last season, we have lost £20m of talent out of our team but we have also added to it, something that most of our fans seem to be ignoring. We are favourites to go through to the Champions League for a reason, buying more players won't change that.

Mouyokolo, Van Dijk, Balde and Boeriggter have all been brought in, 4 players who can have an effect on our starting XI and at least 2 of them will start next week for us.

How much do you think we need to spend until it is not a gamble? If the right players were available they would be at us already, as it is just now they are not because our bids aren't being accepted or players are binding their time to see what other options are available with a lot of time left in the Transfer Window.

My personal belief is any of the more high calibre players will be stalling before they sign for us just now because the Champions League is not guaranteed, sure, we could have got players like Johnny Russell but I don't believe he is any better than what we actually have at the moment. We are waiting for the right players, I don't know why people still don't seem to trust Neil Lennon when it comes to the Transfer Market and with his preparation for a European tie, especially with how good he's done in both departments.

9. pod

We budget for the Europa League and we simply cannot budget for player sales. The monies we made were unexpected. The scouting set up will be accounted for before the extra's or the board and club are simply not doing there jobs properly.

Yes, urgently. We also dont know if our squad is better in all honesty. They are the definition of an unknown quantity.

I know but that is why Virgil was brought in imo, to replace him.

We are short of quality and depth. Two of those players are injury prone (Kayal and Brown). Kayal is also a shadow of what he was in the first six months of signing for us and imo Brown is not good enough either, though I'm sure some will argue against that. Rogic is untested so far. I know we wont go out and find another Vic easily but we should be concerned that we have not attempted to replace him.

Lenny said after the scouse game that he doesn't think Balde is ready and we know he doesn't fancy Stokes for bigger games. I dont doubt we are looking at a striker but we should have brought one in to help us in the CL games, even for the last round imo.

He's not a replacement for the area's we've weakened.

We have bought and I've given credit for that where it's due but we should not be going into a crucial game comparatively toothless, which sadly we are.

The two who would probably start are injured though.

You cant put a price on how much, the point is that we should have got it done before the CL qualifiers. Its not as if the club didn't know these guys were going.

Lenny himself said he wanted at least one in before the deadline. It's not happened. Lets just hope we don't pay for it. Also his record of signing strikers is not that great to be fair so maybe on this occasion it would be worth going that little bit extra to get someone who is a bit more proven.

10. Partickbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBIG/LET THE PEOPLE SING
    Patience is a virgin......and she's been pumped six ways sideways....put the biscuit tin away Ebenezer. ...the cally dosh is there and we all know it.

11. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    Financial danger mate!!!!!!!!!!!! We have about £45m in the celtic bank mhan..

12. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    1) we can afford it

2) we do have it.

I understand your points on this, but you seem to be saying ''learn the lessons of rangers'' with their overspending and eventual demise.
    but the difference is, the huns spent money they didn't have, while we're not spending money we do have.

celtic are going to be competing in the CL every year for the foreseeable future, whether it'll be group stages or qualifying rounds.
    and if we see ourselves playing at that level every year, then we will have to buy player who have the skills for that level. and to achieve that, we have to invest money.

13. H67

Fav Celtic Player:
    All Who Wear The Hoops.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    * the huns they died of many reasons, celtic will never become like that and celtic fans should never use the scum as a bench mark for anything.

14. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    To be fair I've had a laugh saying about Murphy ect but I have to say that if we don't get into the champions league there will be murder.

We should have signed a forward with that extra bit of quality by now. Just hope we get one and don't leave it and we don't get into the champions league or IMO it will be bad management.

15. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    [​IMG]

I know it's little consolation compared to the Champions League but we are guaranteed European football because IF we don't get through against Karagandy we will still be in the group stages of Europa League.

Europa League is still better than no European football at all.

16. Jonybhoy

Dont think the Europa would hide the embarrassment of gettin gubbed by this team and thats no disrespect to them , but we know the script if we beat them away everything will be rosey again

17. Damnati

* me, this is depressing.

Nobody knows how hard Celtic are working in the background and blaming Lennon for saying we're "hoping to get something done in the next couple of days" is pathetic. If you can't keep yourselves from wetting your knickers in anticipation of a signing then angrily masturbating into your letter of complaint to the board when there is no movement, then you shouldn't be allowed to operate a computer alone.

The current Celtic squad should be more than capable of beating Karagandy. We all know this. Our only real obstacle will be complacency.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
  19. Goal

* all will happen if we don't qualify.

Us Celtic fans love to play rebel; when there is something to actually rebel about we go into hiding. See the Green Brigade fiasco.

20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:smiley-laughing002: