1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Owen Moffat

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Valhalla, Jul 7, 2021.

Discuss Owen Moffat in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think he has a decent future ahead of him if he keeps progressing. Has the talent, just needs the opportunities.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Should be loaning him out to a Championship/League 1 team in January.

Likes of Hamilton, Ayr, Queen's Park etc.

Artorias and buchanbhoy like this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He really doesn’t.

Certainly not the talent to ever be good enough to make it here.

kristof likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He certainly does have talent. If he continues to progress then he’ll have a chance. More first team exposure will help him whether that be with us or on loan and by all accounts he has the right attitude.

martin_d likes this.
  5. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Talent for what? And based on what?

He’s absolutely no chance of ever making it here. This is the same * we heard about all Montgomery. Just because a player is young doesn’t mean they’re any good.

ddub11 likes this.
  6. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I really don’t think people understand how bad the Lowland League is.

They’re playing guys off the street and young boys playing for their University. They aren’t even up against athletes never mind footballers.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Peej likes this.
  7. Lewis Kerr

He was miles off it yesterday but I'd like to see him on the left instead of the right next time. Looked completely lost there and struggled physically I thought.

He's 20 next month, same age as Abada. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it here - going from what I've seen so far.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Judging by our history, his age, the level he is playing at (when not in the first team squad), yeah he is unlikely to make it here.

We do not have the setup to help train and develop him, unless suddenly Nicholson found a * brain, which is unlikely as anyone with a brain would know not to do anything that rocks the boat or you lose your job.

Is he capable of being better than we have seen so far? No doubt, but I doubt now if it will be a sudden rise to the top that will see him cement a place at this club, considering all of the above.

NomDePlum likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Football, obviously. Based on what I’ve seen of him.

He’s breaking into the first team now so saying he has no chance is demonstrably false.

10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He’s been used in the first team because we’ve 6 forwards out.

11. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Pretty mad how negative people are. Probably said the same about Ralston.

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Hope the wee man is taking a plumbers course just now going by some of the comments in here. He showed up well enough in preseason against better teams than the lowland league

martin_d likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know that, but he’s still getting a chance and was trusted enough to start last night. Generally players that aren’t rated at the club won’t get that opportunity. Once we strengthen in January I’d try and get him out on loan to see how he develops.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Quite the opposite.

15. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hard to judge a winger making his debut against an 11 man defence. Put some decent enough crosses in and drew that Tanser in for, which should have been, a yellow card and a sending off. Did look a bit slow though.

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. ddub11

Only getting a game because we are short on players...once we get players fit and back playing a few guys in when the window open he,ll never be heard of again.

17. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    * me, some * here really are miserable aresholes, the boy has made 2 appearances, did well enough in the short time in the cup final and wasnt great in a game where the whole team okayed * against an 11 man defence with no striker on.

Calm the * down

18. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Needs more time. Way to early to judge.

martin_d likes this.
  19. Foley1888

This is the thing for me I remember growing up watching us that when one of the young ones got a chance to impress they often did, the likes of Maloney, McGeady, even Beattie, Forrest and Watt, then McGregor and Tierney.

The guys getting a chance just now look nowhere near ready? Is this down to the lack of competitive reserve team football or something else?

Like I know Matthew Anderson is pretty young the left back but he is meant to be pretty special, if he has something about him give him a go ahead of Montgomery who is never making it.

It’s the same with the likes of Vata, Doaks, Brooks etc I know they are all like 16-18 but if they have real talent I would rather see one of them pitched in, as hard as it can be for these guys it can also be the making off them.

The first part of the B team season other than Bosun Lawal, I was struggling to see much to get excited about but recently a few more particularly the younger guys Deane as well could be counted in that seem to be really stepping up and impressing.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Owen Moffat’s season started off in the best possible way, with the 19-year-old going on pre-season with the first team to their training camp in South Wales.

Having impressed in the initial few days, he remained with Ange Postecoglou’s squad for the remainder of that trip. It was an experience that has been beneficial for the young attacker, while also giving him a glimpse of where he wants to get to in his career.

And in December, he has managed to do just that, making his competitive debut away to Ross County, following that up with an appearance in the League Cup Final and then making his first start in the game at St Mirren.

Now, as he gets set to turn 20 in early January, Moffat is determined to keep working hard for further first-team opportunities.

Speaking to the festive issue of the Celtic Viewwhich came out at the start of the month, he said, somewhat prophetically: “I just want to keep pushing every day and hopefully I could make my debut for the first-team at some point towards the end of the season. That would be amazing.

“I’ve been on the bench this season and that was a really good experience, so I’d like to push on and make my debut.”

That has now happened, and when the players report back for training in early January, the Youth Academy graduate will be aiming to hit the ground running.

As for relaxing away from the game, Owen Moffat explained: “I don’t really do much. I don’t go on nights out so I stay at home quite a lot. On a Saturday night I just like watching Match of the Day.

'I played golf in the summer. I’ve just really taken it up but I do enjoy it when I play it. There’s no better feeling when you hit a good shot, but then there’s 10 bad shots come with that – but you remember the good shot!'

“You get people in football who are just good at sport in general – Scott Robertson’s an example of that. I was in all his classes at school and he was just naturally gifted at almost every sport – table-tennis, golf, anything really. He’s good at all that stuff.

“I play the PlayStation now and again – we all used to play it quite a lot but it’s died down a bit.”

So for the festive issue of the Celtic View, we asked Owen Moffat to give us the lowdown on what he likes watching on the big and small screen…

FAVOURITE FILM AS A KID
    My favourite film growing up is one called There’s Only One Jimmy Grimble. It’s based in Manchester and it’s about a boy who gets bullied at school, playing for his school team. He’s a Manchester City fan and all the rest of the team are Manchester United fans, so he gets a hard time from them, and then he gets a pair of old boots, which are magic boots… I always loved the film when I was a young boy. I really enjoyed it because it was a football film and I used to fall asleep watching it every night when I was about six or seven. When I got to high school, we were watching it and no-one else had seen it before, and I couldn’t believe it because I grew up watching it. They all enjoyed it, and the film has an anti-bullying message and how it can affect people if they are bullied.

ALL-TIME FAVOURITE FILM
    I was thinking about this ever since I got the questions through, and the film I would probably choose would be In The Name of the Father, which is a brilliant movie. That’s one of my favourites. It’s an older film, but it’s really good. I think I watched it for the first time when I was 13 or 14, and it’s really educational as well because it is based on a true story. And my family like it too.

BEST CHRISTMAS FILM
    I would have to go with Home Alone 2 because my favourite place to visit is New York. I’ve been there two or three times, and twice I’ve been at Christmas-time, and the city’s so famous for that time of the year. The first Home Alone is very good but just because I love New York so much, that’s why I’d choose Home Alone 2. And I’ll probably go and see the new one – Home Sweet Home Alone – but I’m not sure if it’ll be as good as the first ones because it’s got a lot to live up to.

WORST FILM YOU’VE EVER SEEN
    The worst film I’ve seen was actually on my first date with my girlfriend, and we went to the cinema to see a film called Ready Player One. It was in 4D, so when we were sitting watching the film, our seats would be shaking or there would be air blowing in our faces, and things like that – and 4D might be good with other films, but with this one, we did not enjoy it at all. Me and my girlfriend still talk about it now and say it’s the worst film we’ve ever seen by far! And there’s no chance of ever watching that film again.

LAST FILM YOU SAW AT THE CINEMA
    I’ve not been to the cinema in a long time, obviously with everything that’s happened over the last couple of years, but I think the last film I did see was the Joker film with Joaquin Phoenix. I’m not really into Marvel movies at all, but I went to see that one and I enjoyed it so much, I went back again a couple of times in the cinema. And then I watched it recently on TV… that could actually be up there as one of my all-time favourite films. Joaquin Phoenix was amazing in it, and I know he had to starve himself for the part. I hadn’t really seen many of his films before that, but after it, I saw a picture of how he looks normally, and it was unbelievable to see how much he’d put into that part as the Joker. But it definitely paid off for them.

FAVOURITE BOX SET
    I’ve watched quite a lot of box sets on Netflix, so it’s really hard to choose just one – there are so many. Prison Break, the first series, is really good, although it’s not as good after that. I only watched Power last year, but I finished that in about two weeks. Money Heist is good, and also Squid Game. If you’re hooked on something, it’s really hard to stop yourself from just binge-watching it because you want to keep watching the next episode. I’m always trying to find new things to watch on Netflix, but there is so much to choose from. Sometimes I can spend ages and ages looking for something new but then I just end up picking something I’ve already watched.

THE LAST THING YOU WATCHED ON TV
    I watched Creed recently – the boxing movie – with Michael B. Jordan. I’ve not watched any of the Rocky movies although I know that’s related to those films. It was a good film. Everyone’s always giving each other recommendations about what to watch. I remember Adam Montgomery watched the trailer for Squid Game and then telling me that when it came out, I should watch it. I wasn’t too sure at first because it was a foreign film, but within a week, I had watched it and he was saying to me, ‘I told it would be good,’ and then it just spread like wildfire through the changing room and everybody watched it. It’s best to watch it with Korean audio and English subtitles rather than the dubbed version.

tarboltontim likes this.