1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor sockets

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Fontaine, Jun 17, 2021.

Discuss Outdoor sockets in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Looking for some advice here about outdoor sockets.

Currently in discussions with a spark about getting some outdoor sockets with RCDs to the rear of my property.

He's suggesting that the outdoor sockets be back to back with a socket inside the property (which can be achieved no problem) but I was of the impression that these should be kept independent and go straight back to the main consumer unit. Im also thinking about overloading - in case patio heaters come into play later in the year, I believe they pull a lot of power?

Is the spark correct? or is he just trying to do it the quick way and should be taking the socket back to the board and staying independent of the internal sockets? Not sure what the regs are.

Looking at the MK Masterseal IP66 double gang as well if that helps.

Cheers

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I have zero knowledge of any of that, but my fear/assumption would be the same to question it.

Surely the safer option is to keep it separate? You know, in case of water damage to the outside socket, you don't want that * everything in the house.

3. Bonobhoy

Not a profesional by any means but ive run a line from my house junction box to an Outdoor Cabin junction box,with many sockets in that.

If anything trips it trips my main house unit and i just flick it back on.

I also have 2 oputdoor sockets attatched to an indoor socket and nothing has happened at all. The outdoor socket is of course Waterproof with shell,but its never tripped,even if it did you would just find out the issue and flick junction box switch back on.

4. Smithy

Depends on how many external sockets you want and how many are currently fed off the ring/radial he is proposing to spur off. If you have the spare capacity at your consumer unit then you could have the external sockets on a dedicated radial circuit no bother. The way the spark is suggesting will be easiest for running cables though and complies with the current regs.

Be careful with the patio heaters though. If they're above 2kW I'd be putting them on a dedicated 20A radial.

Liam Scales and Fontaine like this.
  5. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I have spare capacity at the consumer unit so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll throw the patio heater question to the spark and see what he says but im getting the impression that going back to back with the existing socket isnt as big a deal as I maybe thought it was. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Smithy likes this.
  6. Mr. Slippyfist

Lick it and see…

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Back to backs fine mate, it’s just like a normal spur. As long as it’s not a spur it’s going back to back with.

Hope N Ur Heart and Fontaine like this.
  8. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    I put mine back to back of an inside socket but put a plug on it and just plug it in so that I can use a wee plug in remote control yoke to control my outdoor heater and lights also if I'm away on holiday or that the outside isn't switched on so no kunt can use it