1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Midfield

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ArturBorucCSC, Feb 18, 2020.

Discuss Our Midfield in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

Really? He is one of the most celebrated Celtic players in recent memory - a bona fide Celtic legend for most of our supporters.

I keep reading that about Lennon, too. Check their threads on here; they are bursting at the seems with effusive praise for them.

I think that it is a case of something being repeated so often that people start to believe it.

2. Jeremie Frimpong

It is improbable that we will find a direct replacement for Brown when he eventually retires. It is more likely that a number of players will have to pick up his responsibilities.

seamus1967 likes this.
  3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In terms of playing ability or potential, I think it's possible to find a direct replacement. I think the off field leadership and everything else Broony brings is going to be a void filled by someone like McGregor, if he stays.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There are some people (the objective wans :84:) that have praised Broony and Lennon but if you go through those very same threads or talk to people in pubs before the game, you'll find plenty that are hyper-critical.

Personally I think this is one of Broony's best seasons at the club. Aye he's had some poorer games eg. Fir Park recently but over the piece he has been fantastic.

He's not the most technically gifted footballer and he's never professed to be but the fact a thread like this appears in one of his best seasons is confirmation that some aren't giving him the credit he's due. His performances v Lazio were incredible for a guy of his age. He won't be here forever and we do need to think about future-proofing the squad for when he winds down but for me in his current form he is undroppable.

I think part of the effusive praise for Lennon is down to how shabbily he was treated and spoken of when announced as full-time manager. Not necessarily just on here but I found that some of it was absolutely classless when talking about a guy that has given his all for the club as a player, captain, assistant manager and manager. The statistics show that he is doing an absolutely incredible job at the moment.

5. Jeremie Frimpong

Brown and Lennon know better than anyone that you are only ever as good as your last game, here, and they thrive under that pressure.

No player or manager escapes criticism at Celtic.

6. Lewis Kerr

I love Broony but I think we should start phasing him out slowly

seamus1967 likes this.
  7. Jeremie Frimpong

I think that Brown has blown hot and cold this season. When he has been good, he has been fantastic, but he has been off the pace and sloppy at times.

There is no doubt that we need someone else who can perform his role. He will only benefit from that.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

We have at least five excellent football players challenging for three starting places. Supporters are generally going to favour more attacking players, particularly when they know that they can play together effectively.

Christie, McGregor, Ntcham, and Rogić (and, hopefully, Soro) all have their best years ahead of them, whereas Brown is winding down his career.

I think that it only natural that people start to look at his place in the team, even though he is playing brilliantly just now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  9. Jeremie Frimpong

@Seán Mac D I don't mean to sound negative about Brown at all, by the way.

I think that he should be starting games just now, when he is performing well, but I think that we can afford to drop him when he is injured or out of form (which hasn't always happened in the past) because we have four or five other excellent players who are ready to step in.

It's a great headache for Lennon to have.

charlietully likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There's no doubt that they are all fantastic footballers and on a technical level, better than Brown but that doesn't necessarily mean they are better options. Brown has leadership and organisational qualities that none of those possess that are often overlooked and won't show on a Sportscene highlights reel.

When Frimpong had just burst onto the scene he was constantly in his ear, talking, keeping him focused, reminding him of danger. None of those above do that to the same extent. I think that's what we'll lose most when Broony eventually hangs up his boots. We could bring in a DM that does his job, arguably to a better standard, but bringing in a leader who has experience, who never shirks, who is held in high esteem by the whole team? That will be a conundrum.

i agree that it would be negligent not to start thinking about the future but then we may already be doing that with Soro. Lennon has the unenviable task of trying to balance short-term targets (9 in a row, QuadTreble, Europa) with medium-term (UCL qualifiers, 10 in a row) and long-term (season 2021/22 and beyond) and I would say he's doing an excellent job of it. We're on course to meet our short-term goals and he's blooded youngsters like Welsh, Frimpong, Johnston into the team where possible to make sure we're well-positioned for medium and long-term.

11. Keano88

He should be starting most games at this point due to how well he’s playing and I get the feeling all of our players are more confident when he’s in the side than when he’s not.

He should be seeing rest in our home games against the bottom 4/5 sides though.

Calmac was brilliant in that deeper role last season so I’m sure he’s well capable of stepping in there and doing what Broony does and more. When he played there last season our play seemed much quicker and we were at our most exciting, battering teams with him Christie and Tam all looking great, so I would like to see that again at some stage.

In the games against the diddies we’re attacking the majority of the game so it isn’t a necessity to have Broony on when they don’t come out of their own half for about 75 minute of the game.

12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    One of the most enjoyable things at a Celtic game is watching Brown step into the opposition and break up their play. He makes it look simple.

seamus1967 and Callum McGregor like this.
  13. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Madness that anyone can try and downplay Broony's contribution just now and over the next 18 months or so, just take Lennon the player, he played at Celtic until he was 36 and was making a contribution. Broony is much fitter than Lenny was at 34 but what Lenny had, and Broony has it as well, is game intelligence and an ability to read the game better than anyone else on the pitch. Broony will be here for the 11 and still managing 50 games a season

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Brown is still playing at a very high level but there’s no doubt we could rest him more often than we do.

A midfield three of Christie, McGregor and Ntcham/Rogic is more than good enough in almost every domestic game.

15. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Totally agree about this, however glad he was playing at CP against Hamilton and popped up witha 92nd minute winner!!

Keano88 likes this.
  16. Keano88

Aye.

Thing is though we don’t know what the score would have been had a Rogić or Ntcham started instead. We might not have needed a late winner if we had another creative player on the field from the start rather than a defensive mid type.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  17. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    True. ...

18. Yoshi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Andreas Thom
    1st name on the team sheet for me

Every single game

seamus1967 likes this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Very simply put, yes.

20. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Yes. Almost.

We have to replace him at some point though and IMO we should already be trying to deal with it. I'm sure Lenny is on it.

Broony is a pure hero. The best since Danny
    Last season at killie away. I am blessed.

Thanks Alec