1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Lisbon Lions!

Discussion in 'Helpdesk' started by Dempsey, Oct 17, 2008.

Discuss Our Lisbon Lions! in the Helpdesk area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I think that any award of status which is not given automatically through achievement of something tangible but rather through a value judgment is elevating the awardee. No matter what you say, some giving people a status where they are allowed certain privileges "elevates" them to some degree.

Rant over. I just wanted to register my disquiet with this new development on TC. We don't want TC to go private like the Huddleboard. I like that it is open to rival fans to come on and give their opinion. This has been especially effective with opposing European supporters but i like to know that we can give a respectful voice to other Scottish fans as well, even of the blue nose variety if they are respectful themselves.

Can the mods not just be quicker to ban rather than take part of the site private? I know this means giving more automatic powers to all the mods but even if they could just hand out 24 hour bans and then the poster could be assessed by a panel to see whether the ban is worth making permanent? After all, nearly all regular posters have come on here while a little...emotional and said stuff that they regret. That way we could eliminate the flamers without much thought and keep the thread on track?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  2. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    As said it was tried without the forum i.e. these threads stay in their forum and even tried to be moderated in realtime as much as possible, it failed. Segregating these threads without good regulation will fail also and we go back to locking them at the sign of trouble.

3. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Fair enough if you say that everyone who "get on with, respect the rules, staff and the website" will get on it eventually then so be it. But i do think that some sort of figure with regards to post count would be fair. Folk that have above 1000 are far less likely to wade in with aggressive flaming as they have built up both a reputation and relationships while posting.

4. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    thats suppose to read "get on with it"...

There is very experienced staff members to assess this, they will identify members that fit the criteria

5. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I know mate. I hoped that was what you meant! I understand that you guys are just trying to address a problem as best you can. I'm just debating whether it is correct, not in the execution, but in the ethos.

6. Airdrie Onion

Wondering about my hole getting mustarded
    I personally think that the 'ethos' is actually right. I see it as a practical solution to all that's been mentioned regarding sensitive issues, really. Good therories are excellent, but thried and tested ideas tend to offer a real solution to an issue like this. Actually, to a lot of issues really. It's the human rogue unpredictabilty factor that has made this idea appear, and the fact that it's been toyed with for 2 years suggests they're on the right track with it, although personally I would like to be able to have reading access to the continuance of a thread tat's moved there. That however would not generally be a good idea as the 'immature' ones would likely hold grudges against other members, so if a thread disappears into the Lions forum so be it.

7. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    The "ethos" for me is the problem Onion. The ethos, as it appeared to me - pre agreeing with Demps that they have the best interests of the forum at heart - of Celtic is about inclusion, helping society etc, and keeping a number of our society out, especially posters who have contributed an awful lot to TC (ie folk over 1000 posts), seems to be me like elitism.

8. Airdrie Onion

Hmmmmm. Am thinking about that one. Fair point maybe. Will continue to mull.

9. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley

For me it is like allowing the police to hold suspects for 45 days - i can see the reason, but the ethos is wrong.

Just me mate, but i have never been flamed, that i know of!

10. Airdrie Onion

Hhhmmmmm. Mulling continues...

I think I've benn flamed maybe. Can't remember. I've many protective 'layers' you see. Still, I think the Liion forum aint a bad idea.

Overmulling will continue till further notice...

11. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Mull away mate, we don't have juristiction in this matter...or any other tbh!:56::56::56:

12. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Post count means nothing tbh and why should we include people that go against the ethos of this site. Celtic dont let anyone into their stadium. You can buy the jersey but that doesnt make you a supporter just like registering here doesnt automatically mean that you are here to contribute in a positive manner

13. qatar bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the celtic song / boys of the old brigade
    celtic do let anyone into there stadium unless that person has had to be ejected for whatever reason previously or maybe turning up drunk and abusive at the turnstiles. buying the jersey doesnt make you a supporter? well enlighten me if you will, why on earth would you spend 45 quid on a celtic jersey if you had no intention of supporting the club?

14. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yobs do buy jerseys to cause trouble and dont care about the club, fact.

People that have been banned here, try to register again, people do post when drunk and post absolute waffle.

15. Mr Marty™

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady & Samaradonna.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    How are you going to distinguish who will get in? will you have to read the back log of posts from members or is it a clean slate and folk will be judged from now on? i can link you to some of my own fav posts in wich i was proud of *....and hide the rest lol

16. Don Corleone

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamuraaaaaa
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This new ~*exclusive*~ forum has made all us people who have been here for a while feel like a welcome and wanted members of the TalkCeltic forums.

Keep on truckin' guys!

17. Richmal

* brilliant responce to this idea, and well done for having courage to say this, i think this idea is an insult to many on this site, and smells of an elitist group who wish to operate in a way which is not in the spirit of a site linked to Celtic and what celtic stands for!

18. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Go * yourself. We have described everything and you come out with this horseshit?

Come back when you know what the * you are on about and are respect other members.

19. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Its not about picking your favourites to form some kind of 'elitist group'. So get that out of your heads.

Some posters on here have proved that they cannot discuss topics without resorting to taking the *. And some have proved they just want to discuss the topics.

Some threads get closed by the silly posters, so there is a place for it to be discussed further by the people who actually want to discuss it.

Its not about making out that people are better than others, how is that not clear after 10 pages?

20. Martin

I understand your point Richmal but some of those being excluded are being excluded because they don't post in the spirit of what the club stands for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.