1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Osaze Urhoghide

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jul 1, 2021.

Discuss Osaze Urhoghide in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Hoopy

I hope this signing doesn't mean we are not getting the big Croat or the * as we need all three.

moravcik1888 likes this.
  2. wulliebad

That's two defender who like a tackle and have speed. sounds like we will be facing a few free kicks and pens.:56:

3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    He looks good in the video but so has many players we have signed who turned out to be *.

Need to wait and see with this one, Sheffield Wednesday fans are fuming so he must have something about him.

4. RockhardBoss

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Thats the best indication. If the fans are * off they lost him great news. When the fans are laughing though then you know you've * it. Cant wait for pre season now.

6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    So do we reckon he’s a RB? Because we’ve been crying out for a tall full bac

Hammy89 likes this.
  8. Celtic Bhoy 94

From what I've saw I'd say he would suit RB more and would probably get caught out at CB if he tries to dribble out from the back which means Celtic will have him in CB

Liam Scales and Crilly like this.
  9. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I just want a strong solid RB again so hopefully he’s there

trackebhoy likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

OSAZE URHOGHIDE was once rated so highly his coach started a Saturday team to showcase his talent to scouts.

Now CB Hounslow coach Mick McGann has backed the new Celtic signing to be the centre of attention in Scotland.

McGann was left scratching his head as talent spotters ignored Urhoghide at his Sunday boys’ club.

It even got to the stage where he formed a side in a Saturday league for him.

And the plan worked perfectly as AFC Wimbledon finally swooped in.

A few years on, Urhoghide has landed a long-term deal at Celtic after a short stint at Sheffield Wednesday

McGann isn’t surprised the 21-year-old had the scouts flocking to Hillsborough last season.

Celtic won the race to land him and Urhoghide’s old coach reckons boss Ange Postecoglou has a gem on his hands.

McGann told SunSport: “Osaze was about ten when he joined the club and I first saw him play.

“We were Feltham Youth in those days and then we later became CB Hounslow.

"He was with us for about six years and I eventually coached him at under-16 level.

Osaze was always a good player but the problem was no pro clubs came to see him.

The team he played in was good but the league wasn’t of a great standard.

"Osaze was outstanding but it was a low level of grassroots and nobody was spotting him.

"When he started to train with me, I genuinely couldn’t believe how good he was.

“Within two sessions, I could tell he was by far the best player we had — and we had a good team.

“I remember taking him to a Brentford scout and they didn’t fancy him. It was the same with Wimbledon.

"We were a Sunday team and that was a religious day for Osaze, so he couldn’t always play. I eventually set up a Saturday team for him.

“My son was also playing, so it was no skin off my nose.

“But then he got signed by Wimbledon before we actually started playing games!

“I wasn’t bothered though. I was just so happy for him that he finally got noticed by a scout.

"Osaze is a lovely kid, there is no badness in him, and he deserved his chance.

“It was at a tournament that Clive Roach from Wimbledon finally spotted him — and the rest is history.

“Osaze got picked up by Sheffield Wednesday in 2019 and before we knew it, he was playing big games.

"I remember watching him against Everton in a cup tie and he was marking James Rodriguez.

"My son John was in the same year at school and I turned to him and said, ‘There’s your mate!’.”

A grade A student, McGann revealed Urhoghide has the brains to match his football potential.

Capable of playing anywhere across the defence, his old coach believes centre half is where his future lies.

He said: “At grassroots level, he could play anywhere. He was a class above. We would take the team to various tournaments and he always stood out.

“I also remember we played a team called Conquest — a football academy down here

A lot of good players have come out of there and we organised a friendly with him.

“Osaze played and they got pretty rough with him — but that was a sign of how good he was.

“Conquest had proper players but they were clearly worrying about him in that game.

“I played Osaze in central midfield because he was the best player I had. For our club over the years, he would score 20 to 30 goals a season.

“Going forward, I think he will develop into a proper central defender.

"Full-back would be easy enough for him just now but I’d like to see him play in the middle.

"He’s quick, he can defend and if someone can get a hold of him and coach him well, I think he will develop.

“Osaze is a natural talent. He’s very good and with the right guidance, he can really kick on.”

Urhoghide impressed in the last six months for Wednesday — but McGann sees Celtic as a major step up.

Scottish football brings a different style and the Hounslow coach hopes the defender gets time to settle.

He said: “Osaze has always been big and physical but moving to Celtic is a jump

I’m an Arsenal fan but I would class Celtic as being one of the top six clubs in Britain.

“There is huge pressure to deliver results and win trophies, so that can be a shock for anyone.

“Osaze is a bright kid and I think he will handle the move but it will still be a big moment in his life.

“He will be living in Scotland, he will need to adapt on and off the pitch, but I think he will be clever enough to cope.

“Everyone likes Osaze. He is a nice kid and that always helps you settle.

“I had never heard of Postecoglou before he got the Celtic job but I am told he worked in the Australian youth system for a long time.

"Hopefully that will make him the ideal coach to get the best out of Osaze.

“But I wish him all the best. Everyone at CB Hounslow is really proud of what he has achieved so far and I am sure there is more to come.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  12. saltire78

Wait... He doesn't play on a Sunday? Hope to * that's not a thing anymore!

13. AussieGreek

This is during his teenage years as a non-professional.

14. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    woooooooooooosh

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    When was the last player we signed that straight off said they love a tackle? :giggle1:

Crilly likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

If Sheffield Wednesday had sorted out Osaze Urhoghide’s contract earlier, they might have had a real asset on their hands – but instead they’ll receive a small compensation fee.

Urhoghide burst onto the scene at Wednesday in 2020 with standout performances against Brighton & Hove Albion and Leeds United, but after early talk of a new contract with the Owls, an injury led to the club going quiet until he was fit again.

But Wednesday then faced an uphill battle to keep hold of the 20-year-old defender, with his performances in 2020/21 – coupled with the fact that he was in the last year of his contract – leading to him ending up on watchlist’s both in the UK and overseas.

The Star previously reported that if he signed as a free agent outside of England then there would be a set compensation fee of under £200,000 for Urhoghide, whereas if he’d signed for a domestic club then a fee would either have to have been agreed or decided upon by tribunal.

It’s understood that Celtic who also signed Liam Shaw from Hillsborough as his Owls contract expired, will pay between around the £150,000-mark for the young defender based on the categorisation system that’s in place by FIFA. The fact that ‘Big O’ had only been at Wednesday since 2019 means that compensation is limited.

It remains to be seen when the Bhoys will pay the amount owed, but even though it’s a measly sum in comparison to what Urhoghide should be worth, a bit of extra income is not to be sniffed at given the Owls recent financial difficulties.

Crilly likes this.
  17. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Seems to have great potential, looks like very good recruitment for the price quoted

18. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Looking forward to seeing the lad.
    :ange2:

19. gerry_bhoy

From the footage looks like where he be best suited. Always a bonus having a tall full back for set pieces also.

Crilly and Liam Scales like this.
  20. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo