1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Osaze Urhoghide

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jul 1, 2021.

Discuss Osaze Urhoghide in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are delighted to announce the signing of Osaze Urhoghide on a four-year deal from Sheffield Wednesday. The highly-rated 20-year-old defender has attracted interest from a number of top clubs in England and in Europe, but he has opted to join Ange Postecoglou’s Celtic team.

Born in The Netherlands, Osaze moved to England as a child, and his professional football career began with AFC Wimbledon before joining Sheffield Wednesday in 2019, where he went on to make 21 appearances for the club.

Speaking of the new signing, Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou said: “It’s great. He’s someone that the club’s been tracking for a while and when I came on board, I managed to have a meeting with him and he’s a good young man, he’s very ambitious.

“He’s just beginning his football career but he shows all the attributes on and off the field to want to become a top player, so it’s great to get him here. He can play a couple of positions at the back and, most importantly, he’s really keen to learn and develop and I think this will be a great environment for him.

“He’s a modern defender. He’s good athletically, he’s mobile, he’s quick and he wants to get on the ball. He can play a couple of different positions, and from our perspective, and the way we want to play our football, there are certain things I look for in players irrespective of age, and he’s got some really good attributes to be a top defender.

“The most important thing is, he’s got a real desire to reach the very top. He’s excited about joining the club, which is important to me because that’s the first thing I want to hear from players, that they’re really keen to join us.

2. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    We signed someone about time!!

Tommy25, Crilly and honda like this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Here we go! The floodgates will open now. An absolute brilliant signing this..
    (honestly no clue at all)

4. Lewis Kerr

5. RiquelmeCSC

Is this another one for the “future” or is he straight into the first team?

Edit: Just read what Ange said and it translates as “I had no clue about him but just going along with it”

FFS

The_Bhoy and Lennon1888 like this.
  6. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Welcome, hopefully he's good..

7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Not heard of him until now. But welcome all the same.

8. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

"Shows all the attributes", " He's really keen to learn and develop"......Seems we have learned nothing using the same old recruitment model. A 20 year old project player, not what we need.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So we should stick, exclusively, to experienced players?

James Mc and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  10. Craiglang Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    LTPS
    Another VVD hopefully

11. JamesM09

I don’t mind signings like this but we need to know who’s identifying these players and deciding to buy them.

The_Bhoy, martin_d, Rendog and 2 others like this.
  12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Welcome

13. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Nope, I said it is not what we need. According to the report, it is someone " The Club" has been tracking for a while. This is not an Ange player it is another club project that.they think they can develop and sell on, not a problem in itself but we have plenty of those players. We need experience in now and should be focusing on that first.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Osaze Urhoghide is delighted to have joined Celtic and is excited at the prospect of playing his part in Ange Postecoglou’s vision for the club.

The Dutch-born defender turns 21 this Sunday, and signing for the Hoops is the perfect birthday present for him.

Osaze has signed a four-year deal with Celtic, joining from Sheffield Wednesday, and having already spoken to Ange Postecoglou, he’s looking forward to working with his new manager.

Speaking exclusively to Celtic TV, Osaze said: “It feels great to get it over the line. It’s been a long season making a decision where to go, and it’s good to be here at Celtic.

'I spoke to the manager. He has a good vision for the club and the club is in a rebuilding stage. I see his passion and his work with young players and I feel he can help me develop into a better player.'

“To have the manager speak to you and to know he wants you is great. He told me the plans he has to get to the next level and it’s good to know the manager wants you in his plans to succeed.”

The new Bhoy, who can play in a number of defensive positions, is looking forward to pulling on the Hoops and playing at Paradise, and is hoping that will be in front of the Celtic supporters.

As for what fans can expect from the player, he said: “I’ll make a lot of big tackles in games and put in a lot of hard work. The work-rate will be there and the tackles will be there.

“It’ll be good to see the fans when they get back into the stadium. I’ve heard about the atmosphere, especially in the European games, but also in the league games. To be at a big club like Celtic is just great, and to have the fans on your side supporting you like that, I’m excited

While Osaze Urhoghide has joined a new club and will have to acclimatise to a new football environment, having previously played in England, there’s already a familiar face in the Celtic dressing-room waiting to welcome him in the shape of Liam Shaw, who has also joined the Hoops from Sheffield Wednesday.

And both players will be looking forward to a quick reunion with their former team-mates, given that Sheffield Wednesday will provide the opposition for Celtic’s first pre-season game on Wednesday (July 7).

“Liam’s a really good friend so it’s good to have a team-mate already here who can show me around the place since he arrived earlier,” Osaze said. 'It’ll be good to meet up again and I’m sure we’ll make each laugh when we see each other again.

“And the Sheffield Wednesday game is soon so I’ll see a lot of familiar faces. It’ll be good to see the players and my friends there as well.”

And getting to train and play with his new Celtic team-mates is something that the new Bhoy is anticipating.

“I want to show the manager, the fans and my team-mates what I can do,” he said. “Everyone’s pushing for a shirt at the start of the season and, with the European games coming up, we need to secure our place quickly so I’m ready.

“It’s a dream to play in the Champions League qualifiers and, hopefully, I can play in more games and show everyone on the European stage what I can do.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  15. JamesM09

If he's half as good as his uncle Keyser Osaze then we're on to a winner.

martin_d and Crilly like this.
  16. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Frimpong?

17. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Looks decent on the ball. Welcome :ynwacelti

Rydo1888*, Dannybhoy81 and Peej like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    No issue with the signing at all, on paper.
    Much like Connell, O'Connor and the likes, I am fine with an established and respected recruitment team making these sort of signings for the club.

Our issue is that the manager has no clue about him and the "recruitment team" is next to non-existent and hasn't done well in that department on the whole.

Plus points, it is clearly a "project" signing and surely not the only CB we bring in? The manager has made that clear, which is good as well. This is a perfectly sensible signing at the cost, but this is not backing the manager.

I mean all of this with as little negativity as possible, I do find the signing fine, I just want to see another (or 2) established CBs that the manager actually wants in the door.

19. AussieGreek

I’ve seen him play a few times, including that Yorkshire derby. A good signing.

20. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Has their been a transfer fee involved?