1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

On fumes - long way to go

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Daver, Dec 22, 2021.

Discuss On fumes - long way to go in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Diggler

Ange is a one trick pony but I do think we are going in the right direction with him. Tonight was one step too far for the team and we have been running on fumes. Need a few players in January but I think we can beat the Huns at home. Without Kyogo though which is a huge blow .

2. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    On the bright side, what is that, 13 games unbeaten in the league now? We're tough to beat!

:fear:

3. bigmac7288

hopefully we really need they types of players we have been linked to in Japan I hope we get them in sooner than later but from our board the jury is still out when was the last time we had a decent January window our board want us close to the Huns as possible

4. Sgt Neppers*

I love the faith mate, and I'm pinning my hopes to a brilliant January, that means doing something never done before. The board backing the manager on January and being proactive.

We're long over due it.

5. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    It's hard to feel anything other than we aren't going to win this league. A result like this has been coming but I thought that was last week and we got by it.
    I think we need to go on at least a 10 game winning run in the league to give us a chance but it's hard to see that happening right now and for whatever reason that lot keep winning(I know) hopefully the next couple of weeks will give us hope in some new signings, * knows we need a boost right now

6. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Where I’m coming from - largely - Is that there was no reason whatsoever that we should have been favourites this season.

Have said it since day 1 this season.

To be 1 trophy up and still with time to win the league……if honest, the main thing that could hamper progress is unrealistic expectations.

This is a young squad, 2-3 transfer windows from where the manager wants it to be.

if anyone believes Ange was set up -or, indeed, that any manager could have been set up - to be favourites vs a championship winning squad untouched are off their *

The team was nothing a few months ago.

Time and patience required.

Plus in 7 months rangers will be decimated. Players gone / players running down contracts.

Football is very much a cyclical thing.

Mr Shelby, James Mc and Hammy89 like this.
  7. scootz

I’m not bothered about the 6 point gap - that’s very surmountable.

What worries me most is the soft underbelly of this team. We can play all the fancy-dan fitba under the sun, but this league requires a bit of dig at times. We have none!

Mr Hoopy likes this.
  8. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We've been fielding players like Montgomery regularly all season.

I'm not surprised we're playing players like that in December. We've all said we have no depth.

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Considering the complete an utter shambles we were when Ange arrived this summer I had already written off this season as been potentially an absolute disaster and I included Ange in that in the sense that he was new and I had no idea was he the guy we needed to lead such a massive rebuild and be successful. It was early on pretty clear that he had a vision and it was one that looked pretty exciting equally it was clear we were a million miles off being a successful team over those first couple of months. Since then we have come a long way and to have won the League Cup is a tremendous achievement considering where we started. We are up against it in the league no question but it is still far from over which IMHO is surprising as due to the size of the rebuild needed I gave us no chance this season. January now will be a massive month on and off the field for us if we are to be able to upset the odds and come back and win this league. Ange has a ton of work to do on the training pitch as well as us obviously needing reinforcements signings wise and the odds are still against us in terms of the league but it is far from over IMHO.

Hammy89 and Daver like this.
  10. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I know. The squad has been shocking all season but I mean it was particularly bad tonight.

We've got no recognised striker and no first team wingers.

I mean that's diabolical.

martin_d and Hammy89 like this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Said this elsewhere but it's worth repeating here, the things Ange has managed to do with this squad is incredible.

When the season started, I honestly didn't think we'd be anywhere near the huns. My hope was we'd sneak the league cup and at least finish within single digits before the season finished.

If our squad was fit for the entire season, we're 100% top of the league, we don't drop points at home to Dundee United or Livingston or points today. We'd be, at least, 2 points clear.

Obviously that's a hypothetical, and titles aren't won on Hypotheticals, but a little bit of thought needs to be had.

We're still in the league, and getting the game against them delayed is massive for us, as we'll be a different animal come February. None of that matters if we don't win on Sunday however, an absolutely massive game.

I think Ange is building something special here, he just needs time to properly show it.

The_Bhoy, Mr Hoopy, James Mc and 3 others like this.
  12. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    nail on head

13. oh bhoy

we would of been better letting christie's contract run out

BigDoggyWoofWoof and martin_d like this.
  14. Lewis Kerr

To be fair we've shown plenty of dig in games this season. Scoring in the 97th minute in Dingwall and coming back from a goal behind in the cup final being recent examples of this.

Today was just a really * night. The front 3 were * poor and the midfield 3 behind them (our most experienced players in the squad) were equally terrible. No one stepped up today unfortunately and we looked knackered and tame from the off.

Johnston Abada Moffat

This was our front 3 ffs, with no other winger or striker on the bench. I mean that's madness.

I still have faith we'll get this league if we sign at least 4 first team quality players in January.

scootz and JC Anton like this.
  15. ScottBhoy+

We have a lot of players currently who are absolutely pig-* thick in footballing intelligence. It’s actually embarrassing to watch at times.

16. john2061

Yeah we know it's only 6 points but it may as well be 12 as we know these * in black are helping them in every game when they are struggling and they are getting penalties or red cards in their favour .
    Im hoping somehow we get back into it and at least take it down to the last few games but we need at least five or six players in the transfer window.

17. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Basically we need more better, reliable players. We need the good ones we do have to stay fit and the rest to be able to do a job when called upon in cases like tonight. For me, this season was always a free hit for Ange given the state of what he inherited and we've already won a trophy and there's still a long way to go in the league. Don't get me wrong, there's been some howling results and performances too and we need to be better at breaking teams down and mixing things up but sure that will come when we get more bodies in and players back fit. Might not win the league this year but he's doing well considering the latest Lennon era (and the board) set us back years progress wise.

18. Mr Hoopy

Christie is a * who only cared about himself and only performed when it suited him. I don't miss him one bit...

Moore likes this.
  19. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    It's fine, Aberdeen will make sure it's down to 4 before we play them. :77:

6/4 points is nothing. Keep up the pace, win at parkhead...3 points is squeaky * time for them. Reinforcements coming in . We tend to have better second halfs of the season anyway.

Still heading to be champions this year...don't write this team off yet....

20. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    On fumes, ffs, weve just got a * squad, weve not wanted to bulk up the squad and the countless loans and then wad of players leaving this was always going to happen.

Anyone who didnt spot the striker situation happening for me doesnt really have much of a clue. Likewise the wingers.