1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, a contract extension would be a public declaration from the club - that you can't wait it out to get him om the cheap; and the player, that he is happy where he is and not desperate to jump ship to anyone.

The quicker we can make that public declaration, the better. The uncertainty only fuels the speculation.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They are no Southampton, mate. They have a decent fanbase and they've won the big one just like us.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Amazing the amount of idiots dismissing clubs like Villa.

Eddie will go to the team who pays the top price.

Could be a lower team could be a top team.

:56:

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. Foley1888

Likewise in terms of a sale, I also suspect there will be a figure (£40m has been mentioned) that if someone did offer it we would struggle to turndown. However, if he signed and extension we would be in a position to push for even more if it was through add ons for performance etc.

I really hope Eddy stays as of those who have been loosely linked with moves away such as Ajer, Ntcham, Rogic even Christie are all good players for us but I do think are replaceable, where as We won’t get someone in at Eddy’s level regardless of the fee received.

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    :giggle1:

Aye next joke...

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Again, pure speculation and talking nonsense here from me, but maybe there is the odd contact and interest from abroad and they are then told just signed a new contract, said clubs turn away on the spot.
    No need to go public. Normally papers don't hear of a true rumour till long after its been through numerous contacts etc.

Total making this up in the hopes here ha

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Less of that you

He will not be at a Villa level of club, not a chance.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I just don't see why we would withhold that information to a later date. Eddie signing a new contract would be huge and get the fans buzzing. We'd want to shout it from the rooftops.

For Eddie personally he'd feel the benefit of not being pestered from fans and media about his future.

As a PLC the board have a fiduciary duty also, so withholding that sort of information could have implications on share price, given his projected value. We're talking about an asset that is potentially worth 1/3 of the PLC's total value.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Simply can’t sell him this window. We would do extremely well to get someone anywhere close to his level as a replacement.

Can see Arsenal coming in for him, if they sell Aubameyang. Tell them to * off pls.

10. JamesM09

Throwing money at Edouard is potentially the biggest no-brainer this club has ever faced.

celticdaft238 likes this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The club won’t be throwing money at anyone said it before say it again, lawwell and board will look at squad and think well they have done it before and can do it again goalie aside as he was essential

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    *jedimindtrick* Sign the extension big man, ye know ye want tae.... :shamrock:

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Newcastle with Joelinton set a precedence, eddy sign the extension, double your wages and put a £40 mill release clause that can't be activated in first 6 months of contract renewal.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

15. Maestro 08

He could have 2 years or 10 years left on his contract but any offer north of £30m gets PL to the table imo. A new deal now does not mean he is staying here this season any more or any less than no deal, so not sure why everyone is climbing the walls about it. Clubs with money to burn...£30m is a bargain.

16. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    How do you know? Virgil was also world-class and he went to Southampton. Villa are a much bigger club than Southampton. Don't get me wrong, I see him more at an Arsenal, but let's not pretend Villa are a diddy club.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

A contract extension now strengthens the club's position massively.

It doesn't guarantee he would stay, a team could still put a £50m bid in and Lawwell would pack his cases for him.

But what it would mean is that we're 5 windows away from him potentially signing a pre-contract, rather than 3. Which protects the club and allows us not to be forced into selling at below true value - see Armstrong, Ledley, Boyata as examples.

18. Maestro 08

Yeah I can see how it strengthens our position longer term but I think if for example Edouard signs a one year extension on Monday and someone puts £35m on the table on Tuesday then I think PL would be inclined to do that deal regardless, especially if Eddy fancies the move. There seems to be this hype being created that if he signs the extension then it's guaranteed he's 'here for the 10'. I don't think that stacks up.

Arsenal fans see KT as a bargain at £25m, big clubs even decent sized clubs wont be put off at £35m and I think that's a figure PL will deal at regardless of an extension.

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

They’re an absolute * house of a club mate. They won the big cup nearly 40 year ago, no point romanticising.

Prestige counts for fuckall in today’s game.

20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think most rational supporters understand that there is a tipping point at which we will do a deal for any player, regardless of their contract left. McGeady and Petrov both left 6 months after signing new long-term contracts.

With 22 months left on his deal though the ball is in Eddie's court. We've been stung too often with players running their deals down - most recently Boyata - for Lawwell to allow it to happen again. The difference being that the stakes are much higher with Eddie than they were for Boyata, Armstrong, Hooper, Ledley etc.

At this stage he's a £35m player all day long but next summer in his final year you could probably cut that in half and if he's still not willing to sign a new deal and he isn't impressed by the clubs that put in bids, he can then sit tight for 6 months and sign a pre-contract and no doubt pick up an eye-watering signing-on fee.

Maestro 08 likes this.