1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m convinced this season will be his last. I’m all on board with offering an improved deal, but even if we were to double our current salary cap the reality is he could probably get more with his first contract elsewhere....and know that if he was a success wherever he went quite easily double it again.

It’s one of the things that we can overlook sometimes imo. The difference in someone leaving here and going to one of the ‘big leagues’ isn’t just the immediate uplift in salary, it’s also subsequent uplift if you’re successful there.

2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Whilst what you're saying is totally true, it's probably the only way to coerce him into opting for another season. If we don't at least offer him an improvement, and reject offers, it probably ends sour like a lot of transfers.

For me it's not even about just keeping him sweet for 12 more months, would be about rewarding a top player and hopefully rewarding a bit of loyalty. Would set a good precedent.

Moore and Whoflungdung like this.
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to see it. I just can’t see it happening given the interest I think he’s likely to attract from both England and France, at the very least.

If he does leave this summer, he’ll leave without any bitterness from me.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We made concessions for Henrik, if we can't make concessions for our best striker since Henrik then it won't ever happen again.

The 2 issues are; does it affect the rest of the squad morale (doubtful) and are the Board willing to part with the extra cash (also doubtful).

cidermaster likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It's more than that now. McGregor is on circa £37k, I believe.

Graeme1888 and cidermaster like this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Interesting..

So it can be done..

Offer him 45 right now..

cidermaster and Seán Mac D like this.
  7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    While I do agree that most likely it will be this summer I'm not as convinced as I was 4/5 months ago. I've never seen him appear so content and happy since he has been here (maybe he's been told club are happy if a value is met he gone in summer). Alternatively though I wouldn't rule out him signing a 1 year extension if the financial money is right and a genuine understanding that we will not stand in his way in 16 months time. A contract extension has to happen for him to stay past the summer

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Worth every penny of it to be fair. Guy has barely missed a game for us in years.

I would say it makes sense for all parties to do a deal on an increased wage. Eddie gets more over the next at least 4/5 months and the club has a stronger hand in negotiations to demand more money.

Lawwell plays hard ball with fees but we don't stand in the way of a player's development, as long as the price is right. Forster, Van Dijk, Dembele, Wanyama are all proof of that.

Christie is the priority contract signing though.

cidermaster and McChiellini.. like this.
  9. Cringer67

Surely we could keep the wage cap intact But get him to sign a new contract that offers him a loyalty bonus of £3 million to stay for 10? This equates to a wage increase of £60k a week for the year!

10. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
  11. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Percentage of his transfer fee and keep wages the same . I don't know if that can be done. (2% of 50 million is 1mill) not bad bonus for year banging in goals

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

12. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Holy :88:...would never have guessed McGregor to be the highest paid player tbh, makes sense though

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Don't know if he is or Broony was bumped up after.

Seems steep on the face of it but when you consider that it's still probably less than inferior players like Armstrong and McGinn are on, then it makes sense.

Graeme1888 likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

That sounds to me as an excellent approach to a tricky situation that being 60k a week on top of his existing frozen salary

16. Keano88

Matched his goals tally for last season already.

22 goals 8 assists last season.
    22 goals 16 assists this season.

35 goals definitely within reach with 17 games minimum remaining.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I've got no optimism of him staying beyond the summer, as much as I'd love it to happen. Going to console myself with thinking we should get at least a Tierney level fee, when he leaves.

18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

£30m at the absolute minimum.

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

We get more than Tierney without question, full backs in general command nowhere near the same fees as centre forwards.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Tierney was a very good left back but he had underlying injury concerns, was crocked when we sold him and would probably admit himself that he doesn't have the potential to go as far in the game as Edouard.

Edouard will go to the very top of the game, I have no doubts at all about that. The guy has it all.

Given that we spent £9 million on him and he has improved enormously in 2 years, we should be looking for far more than £25 million. That would be an awful deal, all things considered. Oliver * McBurnie went for £20 million in the summer and he is honking.

Teams can now no longer look disparagingly at our players, now that Van Dijk became the best CB in the world coming from us.

Not a penny less than £35 million...and even then I think that the buying club would be getting a bargain in the long run.

neilly1987 and Marty McFly like this.