1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That is a good point @joemc Virgil stayed an extra year when we asked him even though he was scouted down south. We must be doing something right to make the best defender in the world happy enough to do that.

Edit: 5th best defender

Liam Scales likes this.
  2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Can’t agree with any of that. Most recent is KT who I’d be sure that he wanted to be here for the ten but all the bits and pieces put together hints at Celtic accepting, maybe encouraging bids. Larsson was one the club would have had him here until retirement. Horses for courses.

3. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ffs Broony with all accounts now you packy with all the bits and pieces? What is it with folk saying things that sound like evidence when there is none?

4. joemc

Kt wanted out ,there is no question ,he said nothing regarding arsenal link ,and could have turned it down , it was not so much the money side but the looking at others who had left and were doing well in epl and wanting to try something new ,he had won all the trophies you can win and is already in the history books .

5. joemc

Ps ,the club started encouraging bids when it was made clear he was looking to leave and his agents probably already knew the club interested before anyone .

6. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Look you could be 100% Joe but for me KT was never looking to leave so soon and I think the board made his mind up by entertaining offers. Peter Grant in his interview said we nearly lost TB because the board was forcing his hand. And we lost Davie Hay to Chelsea for sake of a fiver. And Davie to this day said it wasn’t the fiver it was principal. What about players like Thompson or Sutton? Strachan wouldn’t play them because he was told to cut the wage bill. We embarrassed ourselves with BoBo and now Sinclair. Two top players who want to be here and paid well but aren’t allowed to play. Whatever suits the club at the time. As I say mate, just my opinions and how I see the boards dealings with players and assets.:50:

deanoyvb7 likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye but what comments was just a question :43:

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I know just winding you up.:56:

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think closlier, why did you ask the question? :drag:

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THERE’S only one player Odsonne Edouard ever elevated to hero status.

The one he met coming out of a lift.

Standing starstruck and in awe, the young French goalscorer could barely speak when confronted with his football idol.

Brazil’s Ronaldo politely stopped and posed for pictures.

From that moment on, Edouard was able to say he’d met the goalscoring legend he’d modelled himself on from a young age.

Celtic’s striker may be from the CR7 generation but to him there’s only one Ronaldo and his first name isn’t Cristiano.

Edouard said: “When I was young I was really shy, so I wouldn’t normally go and ask a player for an autograph or a photo.

“The only person I managed to get a picture with was Ronaldo, the great Brazilian striker.

“I managed to work up enough courage to ask him.

“I was 17 and playing in a tournament with Paris St Germain — on a pre-season tour to Miami — when we walked into our hotel, he came out of the lift.

“I was speechless but I went over to see him to get my photograph taken with him and afterwards I was the happiest boy in the whole world!

“He was my big idol when I was a young player. I liked him mainly because of the way he played. He could do everything. He could score, pass, dribble — anything and everything.

“As a young player, I was also a No 9 — so when you see a player who can do everything in your position, you just want to be the same as him.”

Being THAT good may just be a step too far for Edouard.

But in this rare interview, he spoke honestly and openly about life at Celtic,where he’s clearly happy and settled.

It was conducted through an interpreter, with the 21-year-old unwilling to converse in English.

But he at least showed his sense of humour when SunSport knowingly put it to him that it must be difficult being in the changing room every day when he doesn’t speak English.

Smiling, and with a glint in his eye, he replied: “I do speak English.”

Just not to reporters.

That’s all very well and good but Celtic supporters worship the ground this boy walks on and they would love to hear more from him. Because, whatever he says, he’s not going to be here forever.

In the meantime, though, Edouard paints a picture of how he enjoys a simple life in Scotland.

Asked what he does to get away from football, he thought for a second and replied: “Nothing special. I really like it here, I actually really like the city, it is a great city.

“I feel I have adapted well. I really enjoy being in Scotland, I like playing football here.

“I’m quite discreet, reserved. There is not much to say.

“I am a simple guy, I am humble. If a fan stops me in the street and wants an autograph or a photo I will do it, no problem. It’s not hard. On the contrary, it’s nice.”

Those supporters wanna be Edouard. They sing it to the tune of The Stone Roses’ classic anthem I Wanna Be Adored — and the striker loves it.

Edouard smiled and added: “I am really pleased about it. It pushes me on to be my best when I am on the pitch. I hope it is going to continue.”

Edouard is hoping to be on song in Rennes as he returns home to France to face a club and a squad of players he knows well as Celtic open their Europa League group campaign.

He added: “It’s very important to get a result for the rest of the campaign.

“We have prepared for a week and we will be there on Thursday with the intention of really starting well and doing well in the rest of the campaign.

“I obviously watch the French championship regularly and Rennes are a really good team. They are doing very well and it is going to be a difficult game.

“They are waiting for us. It is not going to be easy.

“It’s a European game so you have to take everybody seriously, no matter who the team is.

“You can’t take any team lightly. They must be ready.

“We are going to be ready. It is going to be a tough encounter. I know some of their players because we are the same generation of young players.

“I know their left-back, Faitout Maouassa.

“I probably know more of the young players who don’t necessarily play in the first team, but I know most of the young players who are there.”

Edouard doesn’t need to score in France to make anyone in France sit up and take notice.

The way he sees it, scoring is all the same regardless of where and when.

He added: “A goal is a goal and scoring is important, whatever the match

Of course, when the opposition is stronger — like in the Europa League, when it is one or two levels above — then, yes, it’s important.

“I know there are expectations of me performing at that level and that’s good. I am going to try and move up.

“Obviously, the target for us as a group is to finish in the top two in the group so that we can move on to the knockout phase — that’s the key.

“Personally, it’s very simple — I want to have good matches, score goals and help the team.”

That expectation has only grown since the departure of close pal Moussa Dembele and then the absence of Leigh Griffiths.

Edouard added: “It doesn’t feel like it added pressure to me.

“When Moussa left, it just gave me more playing time, more chances to play for the team — and that gave me more opportunity to show what I could do. That’s the natural way to look at it.

“We are lucky this season to have three good strikers now, all in form and no injury problems.

“It’s much better for the team to have this situation, to have all the players at 100 per cent than maybe one at 70 per cent — that doesn’t work.”

11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    AS somebody who is as shy and softly-spoken off the park as he is daunting and deadly on it, Odsonne Edouard has no particular desire to be adored.

Yet, the striker has still taken the adulation he has been showered with by Celtic supporters as a result of his exceptional all-round displays and impressive strike rate this season, not to mention the attention he has received as he has gone about his daily life in Glasgow, in his considerable stride.

The 21-year-old Frenchman, who picked up the Ladbrokes Premiership Player of the Month award for August at Lennnoxtown yesterday, knows exactly how it feels to idolise a footballer and what it means to meet them personally.

His hero was Ronaldo when he was growing up and he can still recall the apprehension, excitement and elation he felt during an unexpected encounter with the Brazilian great a few years ago.

“When I was a kid, I was really quiet, so I wouldn’t even go and ask a player for an autograph or a photo,” he said. “The only person I managed to get a picture with was Ronaldo. He was my idol when I was a young player.

“I liked him mainly because of the way he played. He could do everything. He could score, pass, dribble - anything and everything. As a young player, I was also a No.9. When you see a player who can do everything in your position, you just want to be the same as him.”

“I was playing in a tournament in Miami with Paris St Germain on a pre-season tour when I was 17. When we walked into our hotel, he came out of the lift. I was speechless, but I managed to work up enough courage to go over to see him and ask to get my photograph taken with him. It was incredible. Afterwards, I was the happiest boy in the whole world!

“I am somebody who is quite discreet, reserved. I am a simple guy, I am humble. But if a fan stops me in the street and wants an autograph or a photo I will do it no problem. It’s not hard. On the contrary, it’s nice.”

Edouard has done his very best to emulate Ronaldo since their meeting. But there is one aspect of Il Fenomeno’s career he would never copy. The former Barcelona player caused an outcry in Catalonia when he signed for their hated Spanish rivals Real Madrid in 2002. Would the Celtic man ever consider switching allegiances to Rangers? “No, never,” he said with a smile. “It’s impossible!”

The Celtic supporters have replaced the lyrics on the Stone Roses’ song I Wanna Be Adored this season and the strains of I Wanna Be Edouard have been heard at grounds across Scotland and Europe on numerous occasions in recent weeks. Their record £9 million signing admitted he has enjoyed hearing the chant and revealed it lifts him during games when he does. “I am really pleased about it,” he said. “It pushes me on to be my best when I am on the pitch. I hope it is going to continue.”

At times, it is easy to forget the 6ft 2in forward is only 21. He has been the first choice striker at Celtic since his countryman Moussa Dembele departed last summer. He is an automatic selection for big games and will once again lead the line for his team in their opening Europa League group game against Rennes in his homeland tomorrow evening.

Edouard admits that having Vakoun Issouf Bayo and Leigh Griffiths available for selection has been beneficial to the team. But the unassuming player is more than happy to start in the majority of games.

“I don’t feel pressure,” he said. “I just enjoy what I’m doing so I don’t feel the pressure, don’t feel the need to escape any pressure. It (being the first choice striker) doesn’t feel like it added pressure to me. It just gave me more playing time, more chances to play for the team and that gave me more opportunity to show what I could do. That’s the natural way
    We are lucky this season to have three good strikers, all in form and no injury problems. It’s much better for the team to have this situation, to have all the players at 100 per cent than maybe one at 70 per cent – that doesn’t work.”

Edouard is more revered and renowned in Scotland than he is in his native France despite scoring four goals in two games for his under-21 side this month. However, he feels no additional need to score against Rennes.

“It doesn’t matter whether I score in France or in Scotland – a game is a game and my focus is to do well no matter where it takes place,” he said.

“It’s very important to get a result for the rest of the campaign. We have prepared for a week and we will be there on Thursday with the intention of really starting well.”

Herald Scotland

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Top guy.

13. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Just seen the press conference with Edouard. Absolutely * sick of these snake journalists asking him why is he still at Celtic and when is he going to leave. These are the same clowns that ask how we can improve Scottish football but at the same time appear desperate to get rid of our best players. It was the same story with Moussa Demeble, almost from the moment he arrived at Celtic they were asking 'So when are you leaving'? Absolute arseholes.

14. paulie67 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    They're aw' hun mason bastit's, doing what they can to upset and plant seeds in our players.!!

Mainly because... Celtic have always played the best fooball, always had the best players, always had the best fans,
    always been the most courtious and behaved home and away and never, ever cheated etc. etc. etc.
    The list goes on and on.

We are Celtic, Celtic world wide.!!

15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Maybe not, mate. You can have all the potential in the world and never realise it if you don't get game time.

packybhoy likes this.
  16. joemc

Yeh mate I totally agree with your opinion there, and have seen and heard these stories also , we do promote family ethos but the ugly business face rears its head to the dismay of the support and our heroes at times, and many players have been on the wrong side of budget issues ,no one likes to see that happen but it's also a business and clubs do have to be a bit ruthless at times ,I would rather not see it happen as many.players cannot speak about this as part of their contract I guess , but I'm sure kt was a different scenario, looking at pics of him now and his interviews for media he seems quite happy , he is in the best league atm will earn more than double his wage , has plenty trophies to his name and was happy to leave , he coulda fukd the deal so easily on the last day if he wanted ,but didnt ,as I say and many of your points are true ,he is not the type to be forced out he is young and could build a team around him ,coulda played here till 27 and still made a big big move ,for me he has said he wanted to see wot was out there and agent probs had words from arsenal ,and its move from there .

Lilac Wine and packybhoy like this.
  17. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    1. Boli
    2. Bolingoli
    3. Mbombo
    4. Lukaku's cousin
    5. Van Dijk

Lilac Wine, paulie67 and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Smithy

How laid back is he man talks like he’s just smoked a blunt

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Well Paul has been on it all day.

Smithy likes this.