1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He canny do it all himself, got no support what so ever last night

JC Anton and Tommy25 like this.
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

Said it last night.

Said it last week.

I'll say it again...

Big man isn't a central striker.

Now that probably the majority of us have finally realised that Scott Sinclair is an absolute charlatan and an imposter of a footballer, I'd have Edouard out wide left ala Samaras. Wee Leigh's gonna be out for a while, so another striker will be required anyway.

Big * of a CF would be lovely.

charlietully, JML67 and HTG like this.
  3. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    We need better uptop.

Which is mental considering we spent £9m on him. He’s got massive potential but he’s nowhere near what Dembele was.

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He needs to learn how to use his body, he’s a big lad and we’ve seen him bully defenders before but not often enough. Recently hasn’t been using his pace enough either, reason he was getting goals was his movement from inside to out and down the channels to get in behind. He’ll find his form and goals, just need to persevere with him for now.

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Tbf to the big man, it was a thankless task last night, he's young and still learning.

No worries about his ability, he'll score plenty more this season but needs help, certainly hope we can sign a decent quality striker in January.

Tommy25 likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He has 9 in his last 13, what are you expecting off the guy man?

StPauli1916, Bhoyyo and Tommy25 like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has rejected claims that Odsonne Edouard is struggling under the weight of expectation of leading Celtic’s line on his own.

The 20-year-old became the club’s record signing this summer when the Parkhead side paid £9 to sign him on a permanent deal from PSG after a successful loan stint last term.

Edouard has netted 13 goals in all competitions for Celtic this term but with Leigh Griffiths out for an indefinite period of time, the onus is on the youngster to be the sole focus up front.

His situation was not helped by the time of Moussa Dembele’s departure on the final day of the season but for Rodgers there has been an unfair weight on the player throughout his time at Celtic.

“The kid has been questioned since day one since he came in,” said Rodgers. “But just look at his goals record. Look at his goals and assists and his starts.

“He is young, he is 20, he is still improving and developing.

“But he is a brilliant talent and he has performed in a lot of big games for us. So he is just getting his rhythm, playing a lot of big games.

“Ideally we would want to be able to give him a breather and change from one up, but we don’t have the squad to do that unfortunately.

He is a very good team player, that’s what is important. He is not a player who is self interested.

“He is worried about the team and that’s all that worries me. He is fine [coping with being the main striker], that’s why he is here.

“He wants to develop and get better.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'm willing to cut him a bit (a tiny bit) of slack after last night..........if it's taught us anything at all it's that he cannot play as a single guy up top. His first touch coupled with the fact that nobody was ever close made for a really frustrating night!! That's the nice version!!!

JC Anton likes this.
  9. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    “Ideally we would want to be able to give him a breather and change from one up, but we don’t have the squad to do that unfortunately.

that's what happens when you sell your main striker , were supposed to be the ones with all the money but cash in for yet another 20m in summer and for what ? can't do a lot about Griffiths but to be left with 1 striker is unnaceptable a club our size.

10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I completely disagree with Rodgers that he’s a good team player.

Either he’s selfish or blind as he’s passed up the chance to square it to team mates so many times in the last few weeks alone. Does my head in.

The boy has all the attributes but has got miles to go before he can be considered our main striker.

PEI#1 likes this.
  11. themouth1888

He likes to drift out wide. He should be playing left wing with a big strong CF/TM up top and Forest on the right.

Looked awesome playing alongside Dembele. Hopefully we make some moves in January

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    There are times he should have squared it, but there are other things he does during the game that makes Rodgers’ team player comments, justified.

He was forced to drop deeper against Salzburg to receive the ball and that off the ball movement and his link up play in our build up is probably what Rodgers is looking for. He does have to improve in the box when someone else is a better option, but personally I like strikers to have that bit of greediness about them in order to score the goals.

Tommy25 likes this.
  13. joemc

I think no one had the time or space to play their normal game and thats credit to the way Salzburg play ,there is one thing we lack in situations where we lose control ,It's a big imposing battering ram of a striker who would trample over his own mother to get his head on the ball .

PEI#1 likes this.
  14. leeso-ardoyne

I will stick my kneck on the line here and will say that i think big eddie is going to be a flop and a very frustrating player. Ive yet to see him with the grit in his teeth that one would expect from atop rate striker.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Then you’re blind to a lot of the things he does. The guy is one of the most selfless runners in our team, constantly dragging defenders around the pitch to make space for others.

He has dodgy decision making but he’s 20 * years old and no even played 70 games in his career.

16. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    He's already got a very good goalscoring record and that will only improve.He is already not a flop.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. leeso-ardoyne

I hope hes not but theres just something about him that i dont think hes going to be a great signing. Time will tell

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He has a better goals to minutes ratio that Dembele during his first X amount of games. He is just turned 20 years of age. He has only played 2 years of top team football. I remember people on here writing Dembele off two years later he moves for over £20m! You want to see a flop striker look across the city at them and they have sent a guy back to Roma after 1 start now that my friend is a flop!

Liam Scales and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tbf to Brendan Dembele forced the move the pictures of his face that day at training would have caused all sorts of issues so we did the right thing. We did try and get a few strikers in on the final day apparently....

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I don’t give a * how far he runs or how many games he’s played.

If you’d rather shoot than square a ball for a team mate to guarantee a goal for the team then you’re not a good team player. Far from it.

He’s had guys unmarked literally screaming for the ball in the centre of the goal a number of times in the past few weeks alone and ignored them, putting the overall result at risk to try and get himself on the scoresheet.