1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Odsonne Edouard

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by CelticKurd, Aug 31, 2017.

Discuss Odsonne Edouard in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's because he's Scottish, mate. No doubt in my mind. No one uses Larsson, Lubo and Virgil as a stick to beat current players with, because we all recognise how special they were; but clearly a modern day Scottish player couldn't possibly be that good, could they? We stopped creating world class players in the 70's, didn't we?

We all know guys like Forrest, McGregor, Broony, heck perhaps even Griffiths could make it in the EPL and we would argue that against EPL fanboys all day long; but I don't think people have quite wrapped their heads round the fact that KT could do much more than that: he could thrive at a Liverpool or Man Utd or perhaps even higher. Barring serious injury (* forbid!), by the time he hits his prime, he will be an internationally recognised superstar on the level of a Larsson IMO.

Tommy25, Rydo1888* and Liam Scales like this.
  2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Could be something in that mate, Scottish people tend to downplay Andy Robertson as well and we did the same with Darren Fletcher when he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the world for a couple years.

The only guy I can’t remember us doing it with is Alex Ferguson infact but he is of that generation isn’t he?

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Only Scotland could go at least 20 (arguably more like 40) years without producing a single world class player and then produce two for the exact same position within a few years of each other. That is just so like us. :56:

Gyp Rosetti and Liam Scales like this.
  4. Murph-E

Don't get the criticism, thought he was fine last night considering our final ball was off a lot. Tricky playing up front alone away from home in Europe, especially for a 20-year old who is still experiencing his first full season as a first-team player.

5. CountyDownFaithful

The criticism of eddy is unjustified in my opinion, yeah he can be frustrating at times but what striker isn’t?!

People forget Edouard was bought to mostly play off the left with Dembele as our main striker, that plan went out the window when Dembele left. He’s still mega young and adapting to our style of play / country etc.

Edouard has had to do his best to adapt to the no.9 position and if you look at his stats he’s done better than you’d expect given the criticism he’s getting.

Wouldn’t rule out us bringing in a centre forward in January allowing Édouard to play off the left or as part of a two with the freedom to float around the final third.

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Lol could be true to the point that you need a certain amount of games to find consistency but a wouldn't say 150 games or so 30 games is usually a season worth if you haven't found a form of consistency after a seasons worth of appearances then questions would need to be asked. in regards to edouard I don t think it's a case of appearances it's just whether he's upto it or not on the day bit like samaras at times

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I haven’t saw the full game from last night but I’m assuming big Ed was a bit off. For me he should be above criticism to an extent. Being a striker is a whole different art in itself from the rest of the field. You can’t hide as a striker and if you have a run without scoring you are considered not good enough. Defenders and mids always tend to get more time to settle. But to have the stats that Edouard has at his age is pretty impressive and especially that he has made a dent in Europe already. A striker will always grow and learn as they get more experience and coming up against aggressive or fly defenders is the best learning curve. There is the exception of a few world class strikers at a young age and they are the exception. For me Edouard wouldn’t be too far behind these players.

Tommy25 and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No, it really wouldn’t. Why do you think footballers peaks are usually 27-32 odds? Experience.

Random Review and packybhoy like this.
  9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If you think back to when we had hartson Sutton full grown men were we played anderlecht who were down to ten men we still lost they guys were never really criticised

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We were * slated :56:

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    No doubt footballers peak but in order to stay in a first team they need to get some consistency do they not. otherwise how they gonna get a run towards peaking

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    For a week then every one forgot about it by the time Barcelona came round

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Because they steadily pick up that consistency. Some players never do right enough, just look at Samaras.

14. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    You do tend to get top strikers rested quite a bit. A stint on the bench usually gives them that bit of hunger as well and that’s what makes the difference in a good manager. Knowing when to rest your striker and when to let them off the leash. It’s a fine balancing act and is exercised to build a striker up and put him in the right frame to be hungry. Much like what Rodgers has tried with Griff when fit.

littlekennie likes this.
  15. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Abysmal performance. Three or four opportunities for goals and his passing and decision making and selflessness were all woeful. We got away with it today but a lot of work to do.

The IRA likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Poor from him today. Big man has had more good games than bad this season but when he goes missing it really affects our play. 100% need a new striker in January.

17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Needs a big talking to by a priest. Greed is a mortal sin. I'd give him some time to think, and play Griffiths in the first XI for a bit.

18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not his best day.

Finger oot son

Random Review and callumrae1967 like this.
  19. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    It seemed like we were playing without a striker at times.

I do like him and I think he'll be amazing for us within the next 2-3 years, it's just unfortunate that he's been forced to be the main man this season as he's not ready for that role.

20. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I thought he did ok. Was a bit greedy when we were 4 on 1 later on, but every good striker is greedy. His hold up play was good, and it's clear he is a top talent.

Tommy25 and Random Review like this.