1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nir Bitton

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 28, 2013.

Discuss Nir Bitton in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    I'm glad he's finally getting the praise he deserves as it's no secret that I'm a big fan of his, he has what it takes to be a great ball playing CB under Brendan I've mentioned that before and got laughed at. Got the height factor and great with the ball at his feet (One of our best imo) and his awareness tonight was great too.

He's too good not to be in the side imo as he brings a lot of qualities. It's clear though his MF days are numbered too much competition now for a place in that area of the pitch. However, if he brushes up on a couple of things CB could be his new position as that's an area where we do need help in currently. He could really make that spot his own as I'm sure he'll start there again on Saturday v Hearts and it will be up to him from there on in. Will be interesting to see how he handles Laffable up front who is similar in stature in height and weight.

People were spot on in mentioning Javi Martinez converting from CDM to CB, the same happened with Javier Macherano at Barca. It can happen and I'm sure Brendan is viewing it as an option.

Ajer looks promising, but I think it's still a year too early and think Brendan feels the same. Another year on loan somewhere at CB to further his education and maybe next season hopefully he'll be ready to challenge for a first team place at CB.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  2. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

He's a tidy footballer. Just far too lightweight for centre half imo.

3. wanyama1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/Victor Wanyama
    I wouldn't say he looks that much skinnier than Jozo tbh. Look at Lustig who fills in at CB at times, they don't come much skinnier than him.

4. LloydsGamble

Did very well tonight, shown he can fill in in games where we are relatively comfortable.

Would prefer Ajer personally, he's hardly put a foot wrong so far and getting experience at this level now and a wee run in the SPL before we either make a new signing or Boyata comes back would do him a world of good.

5. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

It's not always about size, weight, muscle - Application, desire and bravery all need to be factored in.

In Rogic and Bitton you have two big lads who just don't use their obvious size as well as they could. Rogic has improved massively in that regard, but he just doesn't have that nasty streak that a Brown or a Tierney has. Even Griff, a small man that uses his physique to the max, the same can't be said about a Bitton.

This is the crux of it, for me, with Bitton. Technically sound, a man of stature but ultimately doesn't have that win at all costs mentality, a Celtic mentality.

We have all seen how good he can be, that season under Ronny, especially in Europe, he looked like he belonged on that stage. Then he goes and * his pants against Andy Halliday and some Hearts reject.

Mike B likes this.
  6. Samurai Bhoy

Tbh, I * myself when I saw him coming on, after watching him at CB against Lyon.
    But he played well tonight, delighted for the big man.
    Think he gets a lot more criticism than he deserves.
    He's shown nothing but love for the club and you can see he loves it here.
    I'd still be worried about him at CB against top class opposition, but credit where credit's due tonight.

Norm Peterson likes this.
  7. Mike B MikeyBhoyy

Exactly, he might be tall but he doesnt have the aggression. Loses out on 50/50s because he doesnt have that mentality. Which is okay for a certain type of player but not for a guy i want playing at cb for celtic.

8. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

Done well last night but I still dont think he has a future here. We have better center backs and mid's already at the club

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He pinged an absolute corker of a cross field pass at one point. Was pinpoint to Tierney.

He has talent just wish he would put the effort in. Think he's just one of those players who has a more relaxed style. Nothing wrong with that of course but does it fit with Rodgers..

_DannyBhoy_ and Artorias like this.
  10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Credit where it's due, he stepped up big time last night.

He looks far, far stronger than what he was last season as well.

11. markeyboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Delighted to see him getting the praise he deserves. Did well last night, in such a huge game too.

Still think he has a role to play this season.

12. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    As said it's his application in games that lets him down, Doesn't get stuck in enough. Thought he was different last night put a few good tackles in and calm with the ball.

13. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Played well. A calming influence. Could have played in his slippers....

14. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Fair play to Bitton. Far better than any of the other options at the back on that performance.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I remember thinking he played very well against Man City at Parkhead last year too. Never been a secret that he has a lot of talent.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Played well..

Hopefully someone will take a punt on him now..

17. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Played well, can tell he's not used to playing centre back though, stepped forward and broke the line a few times. We definitely have no other players like him, and although I don't know where he fits in the squad, that's definitely a reason to keep him (unless a stupidly good bid comes in)

Liam Scales likes this.
  18. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Last night was his parting gift to Celtic. Some payback for the absolute shitehousery he's displayed over the last number of seasons.

From fannying out of tackles, misplacing passes over the sideline, strolling back at his own pace and doing so with a facial expression that he does not give one *.

Hope he impressed someone last night. £2million would be a belter of a fee

19. Norm Peterson

Rodgers took a look at Ajer and decided to change his position to a CB, and realistically speaking I don't see a lot of difference in the style of play to Bitton and Ajer (when at CM), albeit I've not seen a great deal of Ajer at CM really, so will concede there to a more well-informed opinion. Both are tall, fairly composed, pretty good at positioning and have a good passing ability. The only thing of note is that Ajer is much more vocal and is more inclined to go in for the tackle (naturally really, given his transition to a CB in the past year or so).

If Rodgers were to decide that Bitton could be a useful CB, he'd have to coach the right mentality into him, which is easier said than done, but if anyone can do it, Brendan is the man. Personally I think that Bitton would be good at CB, definitely domestically and in early CL/EL qualifiers, but I wouldn't be sure of him against good quality teams, but then again unless we unearth another Simu or VVD, I wouldn't be sure of any of our CB's currently coming up against a Real Madrid or a Barca etc.

I do like Bitton though, and he has been a top professional in his time here, which for him can't always be easy given his background and beliefs. He's never been one for moaning or to look at jumping ship right away when he was the subject of a lot of interest under RD. I've noticed he quite regularly tends to give his shirt to the fans as well, I know that's not much in the grand scheme of things, but to me it's always good to see and it'll always make some fan's day as well.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Glad they never scored because the big * bag would pretend he had a sore hamstring again. Punt him.

TheHappyLoss likes this.