1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jun 20, 2019.

Discuss Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dip 'n' Swerve

Barkas - yes in a new club and culture etc, he does not talk, he is not aggressive or commanding it does not appear his nature - if I am scouting a keeper these are things I would be looking for.

I would have no problem signing or recommending a player for division 2 if they have the correct skillset. Antonio for west ham, vardy from Leicester, gary hooper from Scunthorpe the list can go on - less of a risk you could argue.

hladky or Marciano would have been a safer and better option
    id have even made sure we kept Gordon until fraser was resolved ( same with jonny hayes - he would have been happy with a one year deal - good asset to have esp with injuries).

John mc ginn played in the league, andy Robertson too
    I think hodges for Aberdeen isn't a bad player either one to monitor - he certainly offers more than taylor or laxalt at present.

I didn't look at those aek games and go *, barkas is a fine sterling keeper, he by-passed the games for me.

as I say you cant make a purse out of a sow's ear - ive seen duffy playing from 12 years of age, and what you see is what you get - he wont improve or get any better, the same with barkas ; limited players.

poor recruitment, poor decisions, poor management and poor coaching to not learn from mistakes.

2. jambo_cfc

For me barkas was a 5m gamble ! He is international and came from a top team in greece ! For me has has not had an absolute howler of a goal into him but the soft goals he has conceded for me a confident keeper saves !! The defense is the real issue , can assure you if theres a good defense infront of him he would gain his confidence back

Peej likes this.
  3. Dip 'n' Swerve

that goldson goal was cringe - terrible reflexes close to his body - even a few goals in those qualifiers and rarely comes of his line and even from the front post from tight angles he seems ropey as.

4. limezer

He should be sacked also, terrible recruiting.
    And we seem to be continuously connected to players for the wrong positions and projects we never see, we need to sign about 6 defenders, terrible state we are in.

WhitleyCelt likes this.
  5. davidhannah

Duffy and Barkas aside. On paper the Greek number 1 has not performed. He's been isolated in the pandemic that's why it's not worked. Doomed to failure from the beginning it's hard to adapt to a culture in a pandemic. Duffy has personal issues he's having a tough year. He's the Ireland captain. And yes he did have a good debut, he took Julien out with that header against Ross Country. He's a strong man. It's a shame his confidence has gone.

Julien - he's been excellent he's a top class defender hampered by injury this season. Frimpong, very fast final ball is problem though. Ajeti - I'd have signed him any day over a guy from Peterborough. I think he will step up next season as a 20 plus goal striker. Elyanoussi, are all good signings scoring big goals in big games but seems to be played out of position. Frimpong is now an integral member. El Hamed is off but part of last seasons treble winning team.

Laxalt, again in the world cup team of the year. Ac Milan. There's a good player in there high energy. Firstly he doesn't speak the language. He's never been to Scotland and there's a pandemic on. I've got huge respect for the man coming to play for us for starters. Final ball is dreadful though. - are all these reasons why he isn't performing?

Bolingoli was his worst signing. Gave Rangers a psychological advantage with the cancelled games. His attitude was a problem, i remember him faking a head * last season against St Mirren. Wasn't fit to lace Tierneys boots

This pandemic has * us big time. I think its definitely played a big part in the wellbeing of the team.

Turnbull, Soro they look good.

Compared with Lee Congerton he's done a better job. I actually think they are good signings. This season has been a right off. Through the pandemic, injury, man management it's all snow balled out of control. Good signings on paper not working out.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No blameless..

Easy target 100..

First out though. Lol..

7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Here is a point why would you sign a dof who only has experience of being a dof at a club which was epl at the time with what 100 million budget guaranteed to then drop down to be dof at our clubs that is truly a bigger clubs but more demanding on players with the type of budget we have what in trying to say is it’s easier being a dof In top league in England as more funds makes it easier .... lazier to identify certain players

Wrong appointment for me if anything we should have got someone from Germany number of clubs their stick to tight models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Yes, Germany, with their 100 million Euro budgets. The teams in the Bundesliga get more in TV money alone than we generate in season books, prize money and merch sales.
    The Dortmund player who we had on loan, not even 3rd choice right back at his parent club (Toljan) was on £55k a week.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I honestly don't think recruitment has been that bad, both Duffy and Barkas came with really good pedigree..

An inability to utilise the squad properly has been the issue.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  10. jambo_cfc

Not having a settled 11 , and poor management has beenthenissue ! I agree the signings on paper were good ! Theres not one ounce of confidence within the squad just now !! Dnt think it helps with having a really small team in terms of height which shes when we are losing goals from set pieces!! Think we need to maybe look at full backs like mulgrew / lustig stature that are good going forward but solid defensively!

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Theirs a wage cap with some clubs their

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mr. Slippyfist

This.

Hardly a person batted an eyelid at the summer recruitment when the last transfer window closed.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It isn’t enough to have good pedigree. Both would certainly qualify as poor signings.

For me, Hammond should’ve been able to put the brakes on both transfers or at least state why they might not work. In hindsight, Duffy is just all wrong for us (and physically/technically just a poor footballer). From what I’ve seen of Barkas so far, he simply doesn’t have the mentality to make it here.

If our head of recruitment isn’t seeing that then it is a concern.