1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

NHL

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by T.D., Jan 24, 2007.

Discuss NHL in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Big 4-0 win last night vs Buffalo, in Montreal tonight to take on the rats. Get myself so worked up for these games knowing that were probably gonna get smacked in the most frustrating way possible. Also know were gonna get "Montreal typical" refereeing... which all would make a win so much sweeter. Lets Go Bruins

2. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Welcome VEgas Golden Knights. Don't really like the logo to be honest.

3. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Like the logo and colours. Hate the name. Should be Las Vegas Knights, hate the fact that they left out "Las". Just doesn't flow well IMO. Would've preferred it without the Golden.

4. kevski82

Fair taken to the hockey since I moved to Florida. Good win tonight for the Panthers.

CalgaryBhoy and Overkill187 like this.
  5. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Really there shouldn't even be an expansion with the likes of Arizona and Florida in the league.

The talent pool is diluted enough as it is. The NHL gets less enjoyable to watch every season. Dump, chase, repeat.

6. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Disagree entirely. The NHL has some of the best distribution of talent in pro sports. Unlike the NBA or NFL, almost every team is completely competitve and even if rebuilding, will show up to play night in night out. Even teams like Arizona, have Max Domi, Anthony Duclair, and OEL (whose friends with Mikael Lustig and a Hoops fan). Not every game is going to be won with all out skill on skill, like football. Sometimes you need to grind and make opportunities the hard way. Think this year more than ever we've seen new talent come in and show unbelievable skill, guys like Laine, Werenski, Matthews, Pastrnak, and Mcdavid are all giving us highlight reel plays night in, night out.

7. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Good to hear. Wish hockey was as cheap to watch in person here as it is down there.

8. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

The Arizona and Florida comment was more about the attendances of both teams and the fact they don't generate much in the way of revenue. If you're going to have a team in Vegas, which will probably earn a decent amount of money with the money floating about Vegas, then move one of them.

Every team has talented players, but at the same time every time has plugs. I don't think the quality or overall style of play is as good as it was 5 years ago, but maybe that's just me. I still stay up to watch but I don't get the same enjoyment out of it.

Doesn't help that the Canucks are run by morons.

9. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Agree with the Arizona/Florida point. I have hope that Arizona will get a more stable and respectable attendance when they open their newly planned stadium in 3-4 years.

Have a ton of family in Vancouver and they'd tend to agree with you on that point, they aren't happy one bit but as a Bruins fan I dont really mind :fear::giggle1:

10. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Spengler Cup being played in Davos, Switzerland. Great hockey to watch, easily accessible for those in Scotland and the rest of Europe. The best teams from the European Leagues, and a team made up of Canadians from any number of teams in Europe. Great chance to see players who might not be at the NHL level, shine.

Also starting today is the World Junior Championships, hosted in Toronto and Montreal this year. All the best U21 players from the Canadian Junior Leagues, the Russian and other European Leagues, as well as a few player who have been allowed to play by their NHL teams. Fast paced, high scoring, great atmospheres. Good hockey to watch!

11. themouth1888

I've got a quick question for you mate . I'm and Islanders fan and I'm going to be in Calgary next March. Randomly (well the wife thinks so anyway) Isles are playing flames in the saddledome and I was wondering how frowned upon would it be if I went to the game dressed in my islanders gear? I've been to a few nhl games and know generally there is a small band of travelling fans who all sit together but I wouldn't think there will be many Isles fans in Calgary.

Is it best just trying to blend in with the home fans?

Cheers

12. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    No problem at all bud! I would encourage you to wear your Isles gear, you wont be the only one. I always wear my Bruins gear when Boston comes to town, many others do as well. Great to know there are so many like minded fans in your city, the Islanders would be no different. You wont be getting heckled or jeered during the game. Calgarys got good, loud fans, but you've got no issues if your a fan of the opposition. You'll enjoy the Saddledome I'm sure, older building but crowds usually great.

13. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I've worn a Canucks jersey on my own in Chicago during the playoffs and got no hassle bar some trash talk and banter which is to be expected.

You'll get no bother and if you do just don't rise to it.

14. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Used to watch Spengler Cup a lot. Even been to some tournaments myself. Always backed Team Canada, since I strongly dislike HC Davos and my local team, EV Zug, always had a proud history with Canadian players who often represented Team Canada.

Paul DiPietro <3

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  15. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Very underrated tournament. Gets greatly overshadowed in Canada by the World Juniors, so it doesn't always get the coverage or the audience it deserves. Glen Metropolit ever play for Zug? He was a legend on the Spengler Cup teams, played for my Bruins breifly too and was one of my favourite players.

16. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

The skill probably isn't as high as the world juniors, but it's entertaining and a lot of fun. Also the experience there is always worth a trip. parties around the stadium are legendary :)
    Glen Metropolit used to play for Zug. He was a beast. Just noticed, Team Canada vs Davos is on right now. Catch you later buddy

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  17. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Annnd Canada wins the Spengler Cup! Second most important victory today... :celt_2:

18. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

Looked like a good game. Glad Team Canada won again.

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  19. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    IMG_3431.JPG Another legend lost. RIP to one of my personal heroes, a true hockey legend, Milt Schmidt.

20. Haywood Jablomi

Not NHL but did anyone see the junior final Canada v USA,,, * good game.

CalgaryBhoy likes this.