1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

New Top Gear

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Al Bootyerbaws, May 29, 2016.

Discuss New Top Gear in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Onefootwonder

Not unless the Amazon deal goes * up.

2. Moustache

It was pretty poor in all honesty.

I know the program's always been scripted, but it never felt as overt as tonight's episode did. I like Matt LeBlanc, but at times, particularly with that awful chicken 'joke', you could picture him learning that word for word from a script. Maybe it's because he's never really done anything like this before, but he felt more actor than presenter tonight. I'm not a fan of Chris Evans anyway, but he was trying way too hard to be funny. All that weird cheering & yelling he was doing seriously made me consider turning it off.

For all the speculation of it being a more serious car show, which wouldn't necessarily have been a bad thing, it honestly just felt like a wannabe version of the Clarkson era. The bit with Gordon Ramsay and the key for his new special edition Ferrari pretty much summed it up for me. It was like Evans was going to have a serious conversation about that car, but instead decided to go with a drawn out, unfunny segment about first cars.

Although, as poor as it was, I still think there's potential. The main problem they need to address though is the presenters. I genuinely dislike Clarkson, Hammond & May, but I have to admit they had great chemistry which made the show entertaining. For the new group, it just feels like there's something missing. LeBlanc & Evans would have been fine as the 'other guys' but I feel like they need someone better to headline the show. I honestly don't know who that could be, but someone with a bit of a presence would round it off nicely. Evans would be great for the more serious discussions about cars, and LeBlanc is fairly funny in his own right and offers something a bit different. If they just had someone else there to bring it all together, I honestly think it'd be a pretty decent watch.

In saying that, unless things drastically improve I don't see the show lasting much longer. If it doesn't, the BBC will probably just axe it and attribute it to cost cutting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  3. lockerbie-bhoy

Was p1sh- this was the return of top gear; a new era and a chance to impress and they failed miserably
    I mean who the * was that American guy who appeared alongside auld Botox heid ramsey anyway? It was as though clarkson etc had taken a week off and they were guest presenters

4. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Utter white. Watched 10 mins and switched over. That bird is rank rotten and Evans should really stick to radio I feckin hate him on telly. Never even saw le blanc, can't imagine he would be any good though.

Clarkson and the other 2 really did know what this was all about and how to sell / entertain.

5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I'm not a car person but top gear was among the highlights of the week for me as it was funny and good entertainment , last night that changed dramatically. The producers obviously know they had a 'winning' formula given its basically the same format but the 'presenters' failed, especially Evans. Will give it another go next week but I think its gonna go down the pan.

6. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    I thought it was decent to be honest. The first film with Evans I'm the airfield was pretty pish but it really grew after that. I really like Leblanc.

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I wanted to hate it lol, but actually thought it was OK.

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Wasn't actually that bad, of course it's nothing as good as Clarkson & co and shouldn't be called Top Gear but still I liked some of it, especially with Matt Le Blanc.

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Perhaps for these weeks, but only because there isn't an alternative. Wait till Amazon unleash the 3 amigos on this later in the year. Their budget is a lot bigger than they had with the bbc and going for episodes that are all on the road/like a top gear special.

They will blow the bbc out the water with this.

No chance, 3 year deal with Amazon and a budget far greater than the bbc can offer. Add on the freedom Amazon will allow them over what the bbc sensors do
    Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

10. Barry1978

Fav Celtic Player:
    Anton Rogan
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    It wasnt good

11. Bonobhoy

Brutal

Wanted to like it....Le Blanc was ok

Prefer Ginge on TFI...hes * at this

Bring on Gear Knobs

12. CFC_67_88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fraser Forster
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Victor Wanyama
    Really liked the old top gear and in all honesty this is * its like being a Celtic fan and having to watch hibs similar in ways but the overall quality is *. That being said the dont know if ill watch the new show out of principle like the guy as frankie boyle said is a 'cultural tumour'

13. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    This is horrid.

14. Lavender Gooms

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Still as bad as last week? Watching Soccer Aid instead

15. Onefootwonder

It was actually good this week. The Mclaren was a good feature and some great cinematography during the off roader challenge.

Top Gear is just a show that people love to hate and has been for a few years now. It doesn't matter what they do people keep moaning. They still all tune in every week and still want to tell the internet.

Seems like a right waste of every Sunday night to me when there's an easy solution.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think it was more a case of people hating Clarkson but still sort of enjoying the show. Whereas now it's the same show but seemingly worse with that fud Evans.

17. Onefootwonder

Most of the anger wasn't directed at Clarkson from what I see, Hammond and May always got worse abuse. On all the car forums and comments pages they all whinge about the show in general. They would whinge about everything about it to be honest. It has been relentless for a long time.

It was the people that never watched the show that got upset about Clarkson's comments and got offended when they read them in the press.

People were desperate for the new Top Gear to fail and jumped on the week show last week.

What other TV show attracts so much interest on forums and on comments pages? Nothing comes close to it.

Cars aren't as popular as people think. The BTCC pulls in 150,000-200,000 viewers, Fifth Gear has gradually flopped as it's viewing figures were really bad. When Motors TV made Sky, Virgin and Freeview only once did they manage more than 32,000 viewers. Yet everyone keep saying that they dislike TG as they are real petrolheads.

Odd that so many million petrolheads watch TG, but very little else.

On the viewing figures front, all the papers slaughtered last week's TG about the poor viewing figures. That was covered on every single paper and copied on every website that I read to try to highlight how bad it was.

The continous quotes were everyone turned out. BARB said 4.4m was the average, but peaked at 4.7m towards the end, with viewing numbers very stable.

Viewing figures totals actually include viewings on iPlayer. 4.4m on the night is actually a good number and once you add in the iplayer viewing last week's show actually had good viewings beating most of the recent TGs. The papers compared on the night viewing figures against figures that include iplayer viewings.

There's just too many people reporting * and too many people desperate to jump on the bandwagon.

These guys will take time to bond and make the show as well as it should be. It's still better than most other things on tv. Tonight was a huge step up over last week already.

People don't have to tune in, but people still do, then feel the need to tell the internet. There's no other tv show that has such strange followings.

18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It's ok but Evans needs to pack in trying to be Clarkson.
    He sounds like he is doing an impression of him most of the time. Wish he would relax a bit.
    Plus there is zero chemistry between Le Blanc and Evans. That will come in time - look at the TG episodes after May just joined - he looked awkward as * until about his 3rd series.

The production values and cinematography are top notch as always - Evans just needs to calm the * down.
    Get Harris on presenting alongside Le Blanc and Evans - he is a proper car geek and he is a very good presenter too.

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think it would be better without Evans.

20. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Evans is the weak link in the show, too much shouting and fake enthuisiasm from a guy who admittedly is a petrolhead but also admittedly isnt a speed freak and doesnt drive fast. Sabine should be involved more and the only thing tht makes it worth viewing is the cars and Matt LeBlanc. First episode was *, last nights was better but spoilt by having Eddie Jordan on it and the * segments with the stars.

Looking forward to Jezza, Hammond and May in their new series but even that wont be the same.